Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 72

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Presse Med. 2002 Oct 26;31(35):1664-9.

[Hyperthyroidism due to excess iodine].

[Article in French]

Thomopoulos P.

Source

Clinique des maladies endocriniennes et métaboliques, Hôpital Cochin 27, rue du Faubourg Saint-Jacques 75679 Paris.

Abstract

TWO TYPES: Hyperthyroidism may develop in around 10% of patients in excess iodine. It may reveal an undetected pretoxic thyroid disease (type I) or have been induced by excess iodine in previously normal thyroid gland or in an euthyroid goiter (type II). IODINE EXCESSE REVEALING THYROTOXICOSIS: In the former situation, symptoms appear shortly after the iodine load, thyroid scintigraphy shows significant uptake and therapy includes discontinuation of iodine excess, antithyroid drugs, potassium perchlorate and, if necessary, thyroidectomy or a therapeutic dose of iodide 131. IODINE-INDUCED THYROTOXICOSIS: In the latter situation (type II) hyperthyroidism may occur several years after the initiation of iodine excess, scintigraphy shows very low or no uptake, spontaneous remission is observed within six months, despite the persistence of iodine excess, and treatment is based on corticosteroids.

Gay Panda is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Pfffttttt... not ALWAYS... just when inspired to by the good feelings provided by sufficient levels of iodine of course.
    Iodine supplementation and underwear have a lot in common.

Do we need them? Why?
    How much do we need?
    How often do we need them?
    Should we choose organic sources or non-organic ones?
    Does underwear need a supportive companion in an undershirt, or are they okay to wear alone?

We await your reply, Cori. Me and the underpants gnomes.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Don't need to read a GRIZZ post anymore, nor PALEOBIRD.
    Scroll to next post.

Don't need to read a JamesS post with GRIZZ or PALEOBIRD anywhere in the text (Read until you encounter either screen name, then scroll to next post).

Don't need to read any post by any poster with any reference to GRIZZ or PALEOBIRD (Just scroll on brother!).

organicsteve is beoming one you may read or scroll past (this includes references to organicsteve).

Pause at humerous posts about all the shit being kicked up, then keep scrolling.

HOW TO READ 20 PAGES OF MDA FORUM THREADS ABOUT IODINE FAST AND NEVER LEARN A THING.
    i have a VERY important question

were any of my posts humorous?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Sceptic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i have a VERY important question

were any of my posts humorous?
    Only the ones that weren't intended to be
    Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Iodine supplementation and underwear have a lot in common.

Do we need them? Why?

Yes, and No... there are SO many reasons!
    Women may "need" them more often than men if they are still in their reproductive years , however... it may be just plain more appropriate for men to wear them MORE often, because having that thing showing just isn't kosher in most circles.

How much do we need?

Ohhhh, very much!
    Sometimes we need pretty ones to fit our moods, and sometimes plain ones for utility.
    Sometimes they are just plain NECESSARY...
    Don't you remember your mother telling you "Wear clean underwear, just in case something happens!"...
    Well, that something could be ANYTHING! From a trip to the Emergency room, to meeting the Panda of your dreams for steamy Magical Bamboo Forest make-out sessions

How often do we need them?

Honestly, this depends on how often one leaves the house for the men. They CAN go without if they choose to, but it's a risky proposition IMO. Especially if they are prone to wearing thin, cheap, polyester pants! I'd say that men should underwear up every time they prepare to leave the house. Safety first and all. For the ladies, it's an issues of the monthly circus... if protection is needed because she is in her childbearing years, underpants... wear em. If she is wearing a skirt and wishes not to shock her fellow humans sensibilities, wear them... other wise, be free sisters!
    Keep at least 7 pairs on hand at any given time so that they may be worn daily, and then washed weekly, if necessary.

Should we choose organic sources or non-organic ones?

We should choose the underpants that meet the needs of all of our hearts desires. That may mean wearing unbleached organic hand-sewn cotton fuglies one day, and fuchsia sequin spangled thongs that would make Ke$sha squeal with dirty glee the next (no matter what gender you are)! Let your inner undie light SHINE!

Does underwear need a supportive companion in an undershirt, or are they okay to wear alone?

I'm prone to either or... all of the above is acceptable. Shirts while commando, undies while shirtless... naked, shirts with undies... roll with your feel. Let your iodine*spirit guide you. *groovy*

We await your reply, Cori. Me and the underpants gnomes.
    My love to the gnomes... let them know I have replaced the teal lace booty shorts they made off with a few months ago, and in a smaller size!
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-18-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    The quote Grizz posted said nothing about Lugol's. Secondly, Grizz has repeatedly said that I have claimed Lugol's is poisonous when I said no such thing about Lugol's, so he is just lying once again.
    FFS. James, I respect your posts. I don't respect those of Grizz. You blur the distinction between you and Grizz in the minds of others such as myself when you repeatedly debate him. Just ignore him.

Also, enough with accusing every post you think is misrepresenting you as 'lying'. Otherwise that word will take on the same meaning as 'trolling' within the iodine thread.

If there's something that you think is wrong, just say that and move on. I'd say that continuing to argue would cause the thread to degenerate but quite frankly, it's hard for Iodine on MDA to sink lower than it has already.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Piscator,

JamesS is my hero, also. 3 cheers for JamesS.

grizz

Post #402. Oh how things have changed. Too bad this thread is fast approaching unreadable, it was good for a long while.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    It was good. I don't blame James for defending himself, it was a rotten thing he even had to point out the inconsistencies and histrionics in the attacks, which were a waste of time to begin with - sour grapes.

Hoping there is plenty of interesting further discussion to be had.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Once the receptors have been stimulated by the initial bitter taste it does not matter if you drink water. Even the saliva is going to gradually remove the taste. But with increased liver function there will be more of a "detox", which is why it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Some people will develop mild flu-like symptoms initially, especially if they do not drink enough water.
    Makes sense. Thanks

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been away for a few days, just thought I'd catch up.
    Sad to say I did actually read the last 20 pages, thankfully the last few were actually quite amusing.
    I'm hoping future posts can add some value to what I know.

Page 72 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast