Page 71 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 71

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Presse Med. 2002 Oct 26;31(35):1670-5.

[Hypothyroidism related to excess iodine].

[Article in French]

Wémeau JL.

Source

Clinique endocrinologique Marc Linquette CHRU de Lille USNA, 59037 Lille. jl-wemeau@chru-lille.fr

Abstract

WOLFF-CHAIKOFF'S EFFECT: The thyroid gland has a capacity to reduce thyroid hormone production in the presence of excess iodine by reducing the organification of the iodine. This Wolff-Chaikoff effect is observed after 48 hours and protects the organism from excessive synthesis of the thyroid hormones. This effect is usually temporary and within a few days thyroid hormone synthesis returns to normal through the so-called 'escape' phenomenon. However in a few normal individuals and in some susceptible patients, the escape does not occur. THE CONTEXT OF OCCURRENCE: Iodine-induced hypothyroidism is observed in fetuses, newborn, adults and in the elderly. It is observed in individuals without underlying overt thyroid disorder, and specially in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis or those previously treated for thyroid diseases (Graves' disease, subacute or pospartum thyroiditis, iatrogenic thyroid dysfunction...). FROM A CLINICAL AND PROGRESSIVE POINT OF VIEW: The hormone deficiency is of obvious clinical expression, or sometimes discreet and revealed by hormone exploration. It is usually temporary, regressing with a few days or weeks after iodine withdrawal. Nevertheless, some patients require transient hormone replacement therapy.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    AAACK! I was just watching that on YouTube when you posted. Profit!!!!!

Iodine. Maybe I'll line up the rest of my pills on the windowsill and flick them at the chickens in the hopes enough iodine will make them explode. Avada Kedavra needs the whole world to know when she's getting ready to fart out an egg, and I'm tired of her ruckus.

Sceptic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Once again you have everything wrong. First of all if someone is going to post an outright lie about me just because they got their ass whooped by real evidence and they were unhappy about it then it does not matter where that post is. I have every right to respond to their lie. You keep referring to everyone having a screw loose, but your constant lies and insults just proves to everyone who really has the loose screw. If you cannot figure out who that is take a long hard look in the mirror.
    [...]
    Why don't you do everyone a favor and check out of this thread as you claimed you were doing earlier? Oh, that's right you are incapable of telling the truth.
    Please try to keep things civil and avoid personal attacks, even if they're responses to perceived attacks. I'm finding your posts quite interesting in general where they don't devolve into pointless arguments with two or three others.

Incidentally, Paleobird had a good point earlier about how some of this is getting quite off the topic of iodine. Perhaps you could start another thread about herbal remedies or some such for the non-iodine-related discussions? I doubt that I'd be the only one here who would follow it too
    Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    AAACK! I was just watching that on YouTube when you posted. Profit!!!!!

Iodine. Maybe I'll line up the rest of my pills on the windowsill and flick them at the chickens in the hopes enough iodine will make them explode. Avada Kedavra needs the whole world to know when she's getting ready to fart out an egg, and I'm tired of her ruckus.
    I really don't mind that they steal underwear... I go commando a lot anyway, iodine inspires it*.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-18-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    The bitters take a bit to get used to. Do you need to drink lots of water when you take them (seems to defeat the point) or just later?
    Once the receptors have been stimulated by the initial bitter taste it does not matter if you drink water. Even the saliva is going to gradually remove the taste. But with increased liver function there will be more of a "detox", which is why it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Some people will develop mild flu-like symptoms initially, especially if they do not drink enough water.

Presse Med. 2002 Oct 26;31(35):1658-63.

[Adaptation of thyroid function to excess iodine].

[Article in French]

Aurengo A, Leenhardt L, Aurengo H.

Source

Service de médecine nucléaire, Groupe hospitalier Pitié-Salpêtrière, 83 bd de l'Hôpital 75651 Paris.

Abstract

NORMALLY: The production of thyroid hormones is normally stable, despite iodine supplies that may vary widely and even on sudden excess iodine. The metabolism of iodine is characterised by adapted thyroid uptake, the requirements varying on the age and physiological status of the individual (pregnancy, breastfeeding) and by insufficient supplies in several areas in France. IN THE CASE OF EXCESS: The mechanisms that permit the thyroid to adapt to a sudden or chronic excess of iodine are immature in the newborn and sometimes deficient in adults, and may lead to iodine-induced dysthyroidism. Thanks to the recent progress made in thyroid physiology, these mechanisms are now better known. PATHOLOGICAL IMPACT: Iodine-induced hyperthyroidisms in a healthy or pathological thyroid are frequent. They are predominantly related to amiodarone. Iodine-related hypothyroidism frequently appears in cases of pre-existing thyroid diseases (asymptomatic autoimmune thyroiditis, for example). They are frequent in the newborn, notably in the premature. The iodine prophylaxis organised in Poland following the Tchernobyl accident led to very few pathological consequences in adults or children.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Don't need to read a GRIZZ post anymore, nor PALEOBIRD.
    Scroll to next post.

Don't need to read a JamesS post with GRIZZ or PALEOBIRD anywhere in the text (Read until you encounter either screen name, then scroll to next post).

Don't need to read any post by any poster with any reference to GRIZZ or PALEOBIRD (Just scroll on brother!).

organicsteve is beoming one you may read or scroll past (this includes references to organicsteve).

Pause at humerous posts about all the shit being kicked up, then keep scrolling.

HOW TO READ 20 PAGES OF MDA FORUM THREADS ABOUT IODINE FAST AND NEVER LEARN A THING.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    I learned that Cori goes commando.

Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):493-500.

Iodine excess and hyperthyroidism.

Roti E, Uberti ED.

Source

Università di Parma, Cattedra di Endocrinologia, Italy.

Abstract

150 microg iodine are daily required for thyroid hormone synthesis. The thyroid gland has intrinsic mechanisms that maintain normal thyroid function even in the presence of iodine excess. Large quantities of iodide are present in drugs, antiseptics, contrast media and food preservatives. Iodine induced hyperthyroidism is frequently observed in patients affected by euthyroid iodine deficient goiter when suddenly exposed to excess iodine. Possibly the presence of autonomous thyroid function permits the synthesis and release of excess quantities of thyroid hormones. The presence of thyroid autoimmunity in patients residing in iodine-insufficient areas who develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has not been unanimously observed. In iodine-sufficient areas, iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has been reported in euthyroid patients with previous thyroid diseases. Euthyroid patients previously treated with antithyroid drugs for Graves' disease are prone to develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism. As well, excess iodine in hyperthyroid Graves' disease patients may reduce the effectiveness of the antithyroid drugs. Occasionally iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has been observed in euthyroid patients with a previous episode of post-partum thyroiditis, amiodarone destructive or type II thyrotoxicosis and recombinant interferon-alpha induced destructive thyrotoxicosis. Amiodarone administration may induce thyrotoxicosis. Two mechanisms are responsible for this condition. One is related to excess iodine released from the drug, approximately 9 mg of iodine following a daily dose of 300 mg amiodarone. This condition is an iodine-induced thyrotoxicosis or type I amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis. The other mechanism is due to the amiodarone molecule that induces a destruction of the thyroid follicles with a release of preformed hormones. This condition is called amiodarone-induced destructive thyrotoxicosis or type II thyrotoxicosis. Patients developing type I thyrotoxicosis in general have preexisting nodular goiter whereas those developing type II thyrotoxicosis have a normal thyroid gland. The latter group of patients, after recovering from the destructive process, may develop permanent hypothyroidism as the consequence of fibrosis of the gland.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I learned that Cori goes commando.
    Pfffttttt... not ALWAYS... just when inspired to by the good feelings provided by sufficient levels of iodine of course.
    I also wear the husbands short cut athletic boxers sometimes.
    What? They are almost identical to my ladies "boy shorts", but cover more cheek. *shrug*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 71 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast