Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 70

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you didn't eat enough iodine, pandapandapants
    Dammit, how much do I need to take to be magical? This is getting ridiculous. I got so discouraged last week that I stopped taking any.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Dammit, how much do I need to take to be magical? This is getting ridiculous. I got so discouraged last week that I stopped taking any.
    anywhere from 1 microgram to 1000 milligrams *nodnod*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    anywhere from 1 microgram to 1000 milligrams *nodnod*
    Maybe I was missing one of the companion supplements that fires up the magical potential of iodine. * headdesk *

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think the real secret magic that some of these fine folks aren't telling the Panda is that they are taking the Iodine supplements... but also SKIPPING the Lithium supplements.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I think the real secret magic that some of these fine folks aren't telling the Panda is that they are taking the Iodine supplements... but also SKIPPING the Lithium supplements.
    I love that Lithium song by Evanescence. I listen to it whenever I'm writing the lines for a particularly dour character.

It's like the iodine version of the underpants gnomes in South Park:

1. Take iodine.
    2. ???????????
    3. Become magical.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Touche' baby, tou-freakin'-che'.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Now, can we get back to discussing iodine? Does ANYONE have any real evidence to counter what has already been presented here?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I love that Lithium song by Evanescence. I listen to it whenever I'm writing the lines for a particularly dour character.

It's like the iodine version of the underpants gnomes in South Park:

1. Take iodine.
    2. ???????????
    3. Become magical.
    I love those gnomes...

Almost as much as Kitty.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    The bitters take a bit to get used to. Do you need to drink lots of water when you take them (seems to defeat the point) or just later?

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here, let's see if we can get this thread back on topic:

Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):501-10.

Iodine-Induced hypothyroidism.

Markou K, Georgopoulos N, Kyriazopoulou V, Vagenakis AG.

Source

Department of Medicine, University of Patras Medical School, Greece.

Abstract

Iodine is an essential element for thyroid hormone synthesis. The thyroid gland has the capacity and holds the machinery to handle the iodine efficiently when the availability of iodine becomes scarce, as well as when iodine is available in excessive quantities. The latter situation is handled by the thyroid by acutely inhibiting the organification of iodine, the so-called acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect, by a mechanism not well understood 52 years after the original description. It is proposed that iodopeptide(s) are formed that temporarily inhibit thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mRNA and protein synthesis and, therefore, thyroglobulin iodinations. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect is an effective means of rejecting the large quantities of iodide and therefore preventing the thyroid from synthesizing large quantities of thyroid hormones. The acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect lasts for few a days and then, through the so-called "escape" phenomenon, the organification of intrathyroidal iodide resumes and the normal synthesis of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) returns. This is achieved by decreasing the intrathyroidal inorganic iodine concentration by down regulation of the sodium iodine symporter (NIS) and therefore permits the TPO-H202 system to resume normal activity. However, in a few apparently normal individuals, in newborns and fetuses, in some patients with chronic systemic diseases, euthyroid patients with autoimmune thyroiditis, and Graves' disease patients previously treated with radioimmunoassay (RAI), surgery or antithyroid drugs, the escape from the inhibitory effect of large doses of iodides is not achieved and clinical or subclinical hypothyroidism ensues. Iodide-induced hypothyroidism has also been observed in patients with a history of postpartum thyroiditis, in euthyroid patients after a previous episode of subacute thyroiditis, and in patients treated with recombinant interferon-alpha who developed transient thyroid dysfunction during interferon-a treatment. The hypothyroidism is transient and thyroid function returns to normal in 2 to 3 weeks after iodide withdrawal, but transient T4 replacement therapy may be required in some patients. The patients who develop transient iodine-induced hypothyroidism must be followed long term thereafter because many will develop permanent primary hypothyroidism.

Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast