Page 66 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 66

organicsteve is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Synthroid is T4 only, if your mom is not converting it to T3 well, or converting it to Reverse T3, then it's not doing much for her. A natural dessicated thyroid like Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel is better. Armour reformulated theirs a few years ago, putting binders in that prevent absorption. My doc won't recommend it. I'm on a combo of Nature-Throid and a T3 only med, because of a RT3 problem.

The main problem is getting your mom to a doctor who won't go just by TSH and T4 test levels, which is how most endos operate. TSH is a hormone the pituitary makes, to tell the thyroid to make more thyroid hormone. Your mom has no thyroid and is on meds, so TSH cannot be relied upon.

Total T4 is the other test normally used. It shows how much total T4 the Synthroid is putting in her system, but she needs to test Free T4, which is the T4 that's unbound and available for her body to actually use. She also needs to test Free T3, to see how well it's being converted. Reverse T3 is also a problem for many people. Sometimes the T4 is converted to RT3, and that blocks T3 from being used by the body.

The high cholesterol may come down dramatically when she gets treated correctly for hypothyroidism. Colleen Coble, who's a member here, had her husband's cholesterol drop 100 points when his hypothyroidism was treated.

Go to this site and read up on thyroid. It's good for basics: Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness

James, James, James, are you going to fight with me too? Of course many foods naturally contain salt, but we don't eat like the general population. I was just pointing out that we don't have a high salt diet here. We don't eat canned soup, chips, packaged dressings or sauces, etc.

I posted the ones that did a few days ago.
    you seem to fit the stereotype of the wise owl. good for you.

organicsteve is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Uh~well you quoted my post so it was a reasonable deduction you were responding to it. Sorry~carry on!
    that was inadvertant on my part, being new and all. i meant to simply post a comment or post to grizz. guess thats that. thanks.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    TROLL
    Master Troll
    seasoned professional Troll
    Is anyone else having deja vu?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by organicsteve View Post
    i can answer your question, grizz. i have found 300mg to be a safe and effective, in fact VERY effective, dose of iodine. it can be maintained daily and indefinitely. its not a bad daily supplement for those living inthe city or who fly or take other public transportation.
    Steve,
    Thank you for that. That makes Dr. Brownstien's dosage of 50mg seem small. What if our body doesn't use all of that iodine? Where does it all go if it does not cause POISONING as James insists?

Grizz

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Iodine Treats Breast Cancer, Overwhelming Evidence
    Unverifiable claims of successful treatments are hardly evidence.

By the way Steve, what is your connection to Curezone? You are simply copying and pasting the same old BS posted on the Curezone iodine board. And you were using Trapper's line of "iodine makes everything work better" earlier. So what troll are you over on the iodine board? Sylvette? You sound an awful lot like him. He also bashes people more than he presents evidence because he loves to stir the pot then sit back and watch the resulting conflicts as well.

Iodine deficiency is associated with a higher rate of goiter and breast cancer. Similarly, higher dietary Iodine intake is associated with less goiter and breast cancer. For example, Japan has the highest dietary intake of iodine (13 mg per day), and the lowest rates for goiter and breast cancer. However, when Japanese women immigrate and change dietary intake of Iodine to the lower 150 mcg/day in America, breast cancer rates increase.(1)
    Another great example of why your post has no credibility. Notice how they left out the fact that the Japanese also consume very large amounts of bromine and sodium chloride with the seafood they consume. Note that Grizz was kind enough earlier to post how much higher in bromine the ocean is compared to iodine. Thus the Japanese intake of bromide alone would well exceed their intake of iodine. And as we have all heard over and over bromide displaces iodine. And so does the sodium and the chloride of the salt. So we have all that bromide and salt protecting the Japanese from iodine poisoning.

Furthermore, if you bothered to do some real research you would have found that the decreased rate of breast cancer in Japan has been linked to the high intake of phytoestrogens, not iodine, in the traditional Japanese diet. Most of the phytoestrogens come from their intake of soy products and seaweeds. Seaweeds also contain immune stimulating polysaccharides that help prevent cancer in large part by helping the body fight off cancer viruses.

Iceland is another country with high Iodine intake and low rates for goiter and breast cancer. The high dietary iodine came from the fishing industry before WWI. In those days, the fish meal was fed to dairy cows providing milk with high iodine content. After WWI, the fish meal was eliminated from the dairy cows, and breast cancer rates soared ten-fold. (2)
    What a crock!!! I know you are aware of my posting name over on Curezone, which is Hveragerthi. Hveragerthi is a small town over in Iceland that I really enjoyed in my time over there. I was in Iceland for 2 1/2 months backpacking. While I was over there I had the chance to talk to some doctors over there when I was looking for some benzene to run my camp stove. According to them breast cancer is in no way common in Iceland.

In addition, you are contradicting yourself in a way. You are claiming a high rate of goiter and breast cancer due to a deficiency of iodine. Do you know what the primary food is in Iceland? Ocean fish, full of iodine!!! When I was over there the cost of fish was around the equivalent of $2.00 a pound. So it was the least expensive meat over there. Ground beef was the equivalent of $8.00 a pound and steak $15.00 a pound. One of the things I heard over and over from the people over there was the high cost of living so they primarily bought fish as their main diet. Lamb is the other big meat over there, which was a little cheaper than ground beef. But the sheep feed on grass, as do the very limited cattle, which pick up iodine from the ocean spray since the only pasture is along the coastal edges. The interior of Iceland is considered pretty much uninhabitable consisting mainly of glaciers, black sand deserts, rivers, and moss covered hills and flat lands. So the only grazing areas are along the coastal edges where the grass and other vegetation pick up iodine from the ocean spray.

Again, this is why you should rely more on real research as evidence rather that bogus propaganda sites that just happen to fit your needs.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hebsie View Post
    Real World: The Iodine Thread

Episode 10: Frustrated with his poor reception over at CureZone, Grizz makes his rather unwelcome return back to MDA -- complete with his tail bewteen the legs. James becomes the new king of the forum, sworn to protect us form the evils of internet mad men like Grizz. Paleobird, well she still silently lurks in the shadows, waiting for her new chance to attack. And a former poster makes a bold return to the thread -- will this settle, or further disrupt, the flow of this thread....
    The Game of Iodine.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    James, James, James, are you going to fight with me too? Of course many foods naturally contain salt, but we don't eat like the general population. I was just pointing out that we don't have a high salt diet here. We don't eat canned soup, chips, packaged dressings or sauces, etc.
    Of course, James will fight to put EVERYONE down, He is a Master Troll and that is what tolls do. This is exactly why he was thrown out of 2 message boards. Everyone will soon see this.

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    James, I'm interested in your posts, enjoying the technical ones, and I'm glad you joined this thread. I'm curious about something on which I'd like your input. I read conflicting information on the iodine skin test and I'm still not convinced it's a viable test for iodine deficiency. The radioactive uptake test is NOT an option, so how can someone determine if they're deficient? Or do you have faith in the skin patch test? If a person was exposed to fluoridated water for decades it would probably be safe to assume there's some sort of iodine deficiency going on - I've read that fluoride and iodine kind of cancel each other out in the body. So basically, is a deficiency assumed? I have a hard time not believing the camp that claims the skin test doesn't reflect how much iodine you have in your body. If you think the skin test is accurate do you have links to any studies?

Thanks in advance.
    The skin patch test is not accurate at all:

The bioavailability of iodine applied to the skin at The Truth in Medicine (MessageID: 1946076)

The only test that I can think of that may have some resemblance of reliability would be the iodine loading test.

I really don't buy in to the whole fluoride causing widespread iodine deficiency thing. It is possible if we are ingesting larger amounts of fluoride, but we also obtain a lot of iodine from various sources such as dairy, beef, seafoods, fortified foods, etc. And the thyroid tends to hold on to iodine more tightly when levels start dropping. Along the same lines it has also been shown that bromine can replace some of the iodine in thyroid hormones without disrupting the function of the hormones. So the body does have some protective mechanisms in place.

OrganicMan, You are clearly correct. He was banned at 2 other forums and that was not from being Mr. Nice Guy. Forums don't ban a person unless they are a serious problem.
    Actually they do when you post real evidence that prove their bogus claims wrong. Especially when that real evidence is interfering with their sales of iodine.

He has still not answered the simple question that I asked:

What is the maximum level of Lugols iodine in mg that you consider to be safe for most people?

but instead he was deceptive and said he already answered the question, and he was insulting as usual on top of this.
    That's because I did already answer it. I realize Grizz that you have no concept of how to do simple searches as your postings have made painfully clear. But I am not going to waste my time taking you by the hand to search back through 85 pages of posts to find where I already answered this. And based on your lack of comprehension of the other evidence I have presented I seriously doubt that you would understand the answer anyway. But the most important point is that if you even really cared about what the answer was and it was really that important to you then you would have spent all that time you wasted asking me the same question over and over looking up the answer that was already given.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    That's because I did already answer it. I realize Grizz that you have no concept of how to do simple searches as your postings have made painfully clear. But I am not going to waste my time taking you by the hand to search back through 85 pages of posts to find where I already answered this. And based on your lack of comprehension of the other evidence I have presented I seriously doubt that you would understand the answer anyway. But the most important point is that if you even really cared about what the answer was and it was really that important to you then you would have spent all that time you wasted asking me the same question over and over looking up the answer that was already given.
    There you go being insulting again. You did NOT answer it, and look at all the keystrokes you wasted to avoid giving an answer.

Just type 5 letters.

100mg

There. Was that so hard?

But no, you will refuse because you you delight in burying people with insults, intimidation and Mad Dog Attacks. We will argue over this issue until the end of time. So please save us all from this grief & torture by responding with a simple 5 letter message. People are getting tired of this BS from you.

What is the maximum level of Lugols iodine in mg that you consider to be safe for most people?

[/quote=JamesS]Actually they do when you post real evidence that prove their bogus claims wrong. Especially when that real evidence is interfering with their sales of iodine.[/quote]
    AHA ! There we have it. James admits to trying to destroy iodine over at IndiaDevine, too. The guys at Curezone were correct. You really do HATE iodine and that is why you refuse to answer my question. So admit it, you were telling those people that iodine was poisonous, too, weren't you? Don't lie because I will find out.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 08-18-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Page 66 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast