Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    t2t,
    The success rate of chemo has a lot to do with how early the problem is detected. A mammogram saved my life. Literally.

The insurance system in this country sucks. No argument there. I am fortunate enough to be able to pay for HMO insurance without hardship.

Your logic is faulty wrt the insulin pill development endangering the Big Pharma interests. Big Pharma would have made a lot of money on the pills too. Why would they suppress them? And they cold make a lot of money on those test strips too. That's an ongoing source of revenue while buying a meter is only one time. It just doesn't make sense.

My heart goes out to your daughter who has diabetic seizures. My epilepsy is not diabetic related but I know how awful seizures are. If the supplements you give her are helping, I am happy for you. I trust that she is well monitored by doctors as well.

Kelp is terrific. I really think the people trying to give you the idea that it is "tainted" are the same ones wanting you to buy their "pure" alternative. For most peoples dietary needs, I think natural sources of vitamins and minerals are better because they absorb into the body at an even rate instead of all in one plop of a pill. You are dealing with health problems that are not just normal dietary needs however. I get that. Again I just hope that it is well monitored by doctors. Should any problems arise, they would know how to handle it.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Hi Paleobird,

The test strips I buy have had a 20 dollar copay each month for years. The test liquid is 20 dollar copay every 3 months. but there is the lancets which are 13 dollars a month. We use a meter so much that we wear them out every six months. But in recent times you can get an 80 dollar meter for 25 or 30 dollars when they are on sell.

What i am talking about is if the pill (for diabeties) came out and I paid a 20 dollar or 30 dollar copay I wouldn't need the meter, the strips, the test liquid, or the lancets. That would be a big savings for me. And sad for the meter people. Those with crappy insurance or no insurance aren't so lucky. Just the test strips alone for the "one touch meter" are VERY expensive.

As to kelp I really am only concerned about the California coast kelp because of the radiation being reported from the Japan incident. (I don't know it for a fact just read about it.)

I buy nothing doing with iodine, from the Brownstein people. In fact I independately buy my own Iodine crystals from ebay and i get most of my vitamins from amazon, or drugstore,com/

t2t xoxo
    Last edited by t2t; 08-02-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    *sigh* More fear mongering internet sites telling you that California kelp glows in the dark. It's simply. Not. True. The Pacific Ocean is a very big place. We are a very long way away from Japan.

As I said, I agree that the health insurance system is less than ideal. But if you are talking about products provided by an HMO, wouldn't their financial motivation be to go with the cheapest alternative? You pay the same monthly dues either way. A pill as opposed to a meter are just two different ways for pharma companies to make money. Maybe the pill just didn't work or has not been perfected yet. There are a lot of good sounding things in development that never make it to market because humans are different than rats and the promise doesn't always hold true. There is no need to read conspiracy theory malice into this.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    That doesn't say anything about magnesium. Sceptic's question was:
    Sorry, I was referring to iodine still. However, I do believe that when I googled magnesium and iodine, that same source came up. Only this time. it does mention magnesium first.;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

See your whole money motivator theory falls apart when people have insurance. My cancer did not cost me anything. It would have been cheaper for my HMO to treat me with herbs or baking soda instead of surgery and chemo. I pay the same dues either way. You know why they do the surgery and chemo? Because that actually works. Five years post cancer, I can tell you, it works. Endquote:

I am always happy to see someone overcome such a grave illness. In my family, radiation and surgery both failed several family members, a couple at relatively young ages. They definitely were CW and followed doctors' orders.
    I also might point out that serious money is involved, and not from you. There are cancer drives, fundraisers, research grants and government funding that goes into the millions and billions each year. Hasn't cost me a dime, except through taxes. Funding one deadly disease when there are just as urgent medical needs elsewhere means the fundraising telemarketers phone me at least once daily. I have had a cancer excised FREE ( I live in Canada), but there's absolutely no way my clinic doc works for free.;-) The clinic itself was paid for with fundraising efforts, but it's government money that keeps it afloat.

Quote: I never said the cure was fun. Effective but not fun. See above about money motivation.

That Italian guy with his baking soda infusions via tubes into peoples bodies has killed several folks too. The actual numbers get hushed up because it takes place in "private clinics" overseas. If someone dies in a US hospital there is automatically an M&M assessment, stands for Mortality and Morbidity. All out in the open.

"Stomping down" on snake oil salesmen is a good thing.
    Provided there is a strenuous effort to distinguish between snake oil salesmen, which I also distrust heartily, and doctors who think outside the box, and have genuine results to back them up.

Sceptic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    Over 30 years ago I remember a front page cover story about how Doctors had discovered the enzymes’ that caused cavities and how a new vaccine would be introduced to spare young children, future cavities. Of course it never saw the light of day. There still would have been a need for dentists for, malocclusion, braces, etc… But 80% of dentists would have lost their jobs. What a blow to the dental profession had this vaccine have made it to market.
    How science reporting works.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have time to keep trawling through documents looking for clues to information that I'm not convinced even exists. I wish I did as I really enjoy delving into this sort of stuff, but having a stupidly busy job coupled with a classic car restoration & two house renovations on the go rules it out.
    I understand, but need to point out that asking questions and not looking up the proffered answers can be offputting to those who have the time to dig up those answers. Then you can honestly claim to have never seen any such info. Works, too.;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    t2t,
    The success rate of chemo has a lot to do with how early the problem is detected. A mammogram saved my life. Literally. Endquote.

In fact, mammograms do not save lives. It's what you do afterwards that determines the outcome. ;-)

Quote:
    Your logic is faulty wrt the insulin pill development endangering the Big Pharma interests. Big Pharma would have made a lot of money on the pills too. Why would they suppress them? And they cold make a lot of money on those test strips too. That's an ongoing source of revenue while buying a meter is only one time. It just doesn't make sense. Endquote:
    In Canada, meters are given away free. No need to buy any. But the strips average $1 each, and diabetics who use them several times daily run into significant costs, even with gov't subsidies.

Quote:
    Kelp is terrific. I really think the people trying to give you the idea that it is "tainted" are the same ones wanting you to buy their "pure" alternative. For most peoples dietary needs, I think natural sources of vitamins and minerals are better because they absorb into the body at an even rate instead of all in one plop of a pill. You are dealing with health problems that are not just normal dietary needs however. I get that. Again I just hope that it is well monitored by doctors. Should any problems arise, they would know how to handle it.
    Actually, I prefer natural source vitamins and minerals myself, but as Quelson (I think) pointed out, when our diets don't contain sufficient of them, only by serious overeating can we accumulate enough for our immediate needs. And if we're bringing serious deficiences through past indiscretions or heredity to the table, we can rarely overcome them by food alone.

Sorry, I don't know how to break messages into separate quotes. Part of my reply is inbedded above in PB's quote.
    Last edited by Paysan; 08-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Actually, I prefer natural source vitamins and minerals myself, but as Quelson (I think) pointed out, when our diets don't contain sufficient of them, only by serious overeating can we accumulate enough for our immediate needs. And if we're bringing serious deficiences through past indiscretions or heredity to the table, we can rarely overcome them by food alone.

Sorry, I don't know how to break messages into separate quotes. Part of my reply is inbedded above in PB's quote.
    That was a pretty pointless distinction unless you were just making a joke. (?) Without the mammogram I would not have had the
    information needed to start treatment in time to save my life.

A whole package of kelp noodles (3 big servings) has 18 calories. Kind of hard to overeat on that.

But I do agree that some deficiencies are great enough to warrant supplementation, preferably just until it is cleared up. E.g. I took supplements after chemo but I don't need them now.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    Exactly...
    Reporters jump on a new discovery and act like the 'cure' is imminent.
    The reality is that it takes many years of at first promising, but ultimately failed experiments before a viable delivery device can be found for discoveries in most cases...

Perk up though... researchers have never stopped trying to find a delivery device for that cavity prevention vaccine...
    And they may have finally done it, though there is an issue with financial backing because cavities are already so treatable and preventable through simple methods (tooth brushing, flossing, avoiding sweets, chewing gum with xylitol, and yes... flouride).
    Along with the fact that they are busy also working on a topical gel that could heal cavities already present (instead if drilling an filling) which would have a broader use.

I also suspect that the fact that people do not like/trust vaccines is playing a part in the difficulty finding backing... as well as the fact that the vaccine would contain a genetically modified version of one of the enzymes responsible for tooth decay. (Tons of people will protest that, and the people with the money to potentially back it know that.)
    Getting backing for a vaccine that has the potential to cause death (such as HPV) is much easier... because it reduces actual loss of life... not just discomfort because you have to have teeth filled.

So none of this lack of vaccine thing is out of malice... research docs are STILL hammering away at the problem after all this time. Things just don't always work like people outside of research think it will/should.

Here ya go...
    Simple Nov. 2011 article.
    A Vaccine That Could Protect Against Tooth Decay?
    I generally dislike wiki, but this shows a simple breakdown of the stops and start issues of development.
    Caries vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast