Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 40

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    Would I be taking them as a tea? I will try some bitters as well.
    Powders are my preference for most herbs since heat can destroy many of the beneficial compounds in most herbs.

Thanks for your response.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting James, thanks from me too.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Thyroid tests can show low thyroid function in some cases, but they often miss cases of mild hypothyroidism for a couple of reasons. Therefore, they are not really to be relied on either. Abnormally low basal body temperature readings in conjunction with symptoms of hypothyroidism can confirm hypothyroidism even when lab values come back false normal.
    Just to add regarding basal body temps individuals can vary around 1C in their "Normal" basal body temp, in addition to that there is a circadian variation of around 1C as well with lowest at arou4am and highest at around 4pm and just to make it really confusing women also vary with their menstral cycle, temp usually goes up a bit around ovulation, so the best time to determine basal body temp is during and immediately after mensus. To get an accurate picture you need to do multiple readings over a few days, my partner has 3 years of records (morning & evening) regarding treatment of Hyperthyroid.
    As James said it is a combination of a number of factors to make an accurate diagnosis including both basal body temp & symptoms.

Regarding thyroid hormone levels, there is a question about relevancy of the "Normal" ranges as it seems these were established with sampling of a population that probably included a significant number of Hypothyroid individuals so the ranges are skewed towards Hypo. The general consensus that I have seen in the thyroid forums and in some studies I have read is that TSH should ideally be at about 1/3 of its range as the distribution curve has a longer tail into the upper end and FT3 & FT4 should be at about 2/3 of their respective ranges as the distribution curve is reversed with a longer lead into the curve. Note FT3 also has a circadian variation during the day so when you get testing done try to always do it around the same time of day i.e. mid morning.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Correct.

Let's start by discussing the tests for liver and thyroid so the rest will make sense.

Many people think that the ALT and AST tests actually show liver function, which is one of the reasons they are often referred to as "liver function" tests. These tests do not determine liver function. These are actually enzyme tests that look for enzymes leaked from damaged cells. Furthermore, contrary to popular belief these enzyme tests are not specific to the liver either. So elevated ALT and AST do not confirm liver function nor liver damage.

Thyroid tests can show low thyroid function in some cases, but they often miss cases of mild hypothyroidism for a couple of reasons. Therefore, they are not really to be relied on either. Abnormally low basal body temperature readings in conjunction with symptoms of hypothyroidism can confirm hypothyroidism even when lab values come back false normal.

High cholesterol will indicate a problem with one of these two.

Even a diet high in cholesterol would not cause high cholesterol since a rise in cholesterol would cause the liver to reduce synthesis and break down the excess. Although it would be possible that a really excessive consumption of cholesterol could be higher than the amount that the liver could metabolize even if healthy this would be highly unlikely. The reason is that our diets also tend to contain sterols that bind cholesterol preventing its absorption or lecithin that make cholesterol water soluble and easier to remove. This is why dietary cholesterol is not really considered a significant factor for cholesterol levels.

Dietary wise sterol sources such as olive oil are good since this will bind not only bind dietary cholesterol but also bile cholesterol. Legumes, nuts, seeds and grains are all good sterol sources.

If diet is not enough alone herbs can also provide sterols. Jiaogulan (gynostemma) is the highest source I know of sterols. Yucca root is also excellent.

The other thing that can help are bitter tasting foods such as bitter melon , dandelion greens, arugula, etc.

Liver function can be impaired for a number of reasons. Pharmaceutical drugs are one of the biggest offenders. Even over the counter drugs such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, etc.), or acetaminophen (Tylenol). Alcohol can also impair the liver, as well as exposure to excess toxins, infections, etc.
    James, that makes sense but when I just take myself for example. I went from under 200 cholesterol before the change of my diet to over 200 and it keeps raising. I don't really feel any different than before but was concerned with my cholesterol. Since my mother had the thyroid gland removed I am always testing my thyroid and I am told my liver function is normal. So why is my cholesterol going up? I have made pretty drastic diet changes that's the only thing I have changed. What gives?

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    James, that makes sense but when I just take myself for example. I went from under 200 cholesterol before the change of my diet to over 200 and it keeps raising. I don't really feel any different than before but was concerned with my cholesterol. Since my mother had the thyroid gland removed I am always testing my thyroid and I am told my liver function is normal. So why is my cholesterol going up? I have made pretty drastic diet changes that's the only thing I have changed. What gives?
    As I mentioned earlier "liver function tests" do not show liver function. Therefore, normal values only show no damage to certain organs in the body.

What changes exactly have you made to your diet?

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Kathy, I think focusing on your increasing total cholesterol without looking at what is happening to LDL and HDL is like reading the back cover of a book and thinking you know the whole story.

Case in point, several years ago my total cholesterol was 215, 15 points over the upper limit and marked HIGH. However my HDL was 96, 6 points over the upper limit and also marked HIGH. LDL-calculated was 103- normal. My trigs were 78.

My doctor made it clear that my high HDL-- the good stuff-- rendered my slightly high total irrelevant. She said she wished she had my numbers.

My point is-- as your total cholesterol is increasing, what are your other numbers doing? What is the complete picture/story?

As I mentioned earlier "liver function tests" do not show liver function. Therefore, normal values only show no damage to certain organs in the body.

What changes exactly have you made to your diet?
    I am eating 5-6 eggs for breakfast fried in coconut oil or butter instead of toast with jam almost every day. When I add bacon I fry eggs in the bacon fat. I don't always eat bacon for breakfast because of nitrates. Sometimes I put the fried eggs on top of spinach or other greens.
    Lunches now days are either salad with meat on top (steak strips or grilled chicken) or fried fish in butter (no batter).
    Dinner, fried cow's liver with sweet potatoes or steak or chicken with LOTS of veggies fried in butter.
    I am avoiding grains and legumes as much as possible, but sometimes when I am out I might have some beans.
    I have also been drinking bullet proof coffee sometimes (coffee with a teaspoon of butter).
    That's roughly what I eat. Before that I was not eating as much fat but after reading here for several months I learned that we need lots of fat so I increased that as well as coconut oil being so beneficial to us.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Kathy, I think focusing on your increasing total cholesterol without looking at what is happening to LDL and HDL is like reading the back cover of a book and thinking you know the whole story.

Case in point, several years ago my total cholesterol was 215, 15 points over the upper limit and marked HIGH. However my HDL was 96, 6 points over the upper limit and also marked HIGH. LDL-calculated was 103- normal. My trigs were 78.

My doctor made it clear that my high HDL-- the good stuff-- rendered my slightly high total irrelevant. She said she wished she had my numbers.

My point is-- as your total cholesterol is increasing, what are your other numbers doing? What is the complete picture/story?
    My total cholesterol is now 225
    LDL 145
    HDL 60
    Tryglicerides 100

Grizz is offline Banned
    * Iodine Kills Cancer Cells via Apoptosis

( Rebuttal for those who argued against this fact in my last message )
    1) The Shrivastava group in India reported molecular iodine induces apoptosis (programmed cell death) in human breast cancer cell cultures. "Iodine showed cytotoxic effects in the cultured human breast cancer cells". (3)

2)From Mexico, the Carmen Aceves Velasco Group reported Iodine to be safe, with no harmful effects on thyroid function, and an anti-proliferative effect on human breast cancer cell cultures. (5)(6)(7) Their 2009 paper reported the mechanism by which Iodine works as an anti-cancer agent. Iodine binds to membrane lipids called lactones forming iodo-lactones which regulate apoptosis (programmed cell death). Iodine causes apoptosis which makes cancer cells undergo programmed cell death.(4) Dr. Aceves concluded that continuous molecular iodine treatment has a "potent antineoplastic effect" on the progression of mammary cancer. (10)

3) With Photos - From Japan, Dr Funahashi reported a common seaweed food containing high iodine content is more beneficial than chemotherapy on breast cancer . "He found that administration of Lugol’s iodine or iodine-rich Wakame seaweed to rats treated with the carcinogen dimethyl benzanthracene suppressed the development of mammary tumors. The same group demonstrated that seaweed induced apoptosis in human breast cancer cells with greater potency than that of fluorouracil, a chemotherapeutic agent used to treat breast cancer."(8)

4) Mechanism of Action-Altering Gene Expression
    A 2008 paper by Bernard A. Eskin MD showed that Iodine actually altered gene expression in breast cancer cells, inducing programmed cell death. (9)

5) Lung Cancer and Iodine
    A 2003 study by Ling Zhang ahowed that molecular Iodine caused lung cancer cells to undergo programmed cell death (apoptosis). These lung cancer cells had been genetically modified to increase iodine uptake.(12) Interestingly, a 1993 case report describes spontaneous remission of lung cancer in a patient incidentally treated with Amiodorone which contains iodine (about 9 mg per day)(13)

Rest of the story:
    http://www.drdach.com/Iodine_and_Breast_Cancer.html

From my personal investigations cancer is roughly divided into two phases. The first part is the pre-cancerous phase (before cancer) and involves the change of a normal cell into a cancer cell. This first phase of cancer development takes about 10-30 years. Iodine in adequate doses stops and reverses this stage of the cancer process by causing the natural death of abnormal cells (apoptosis). Iodine circulates throughout the body in the extracellular fluids found between the cells of the body. If cell surface proteins have the amino acid tyrosine on the outside, the passing iodine reacts with this tyrosine. This little reaction denatures the protein and thus kills the cell. It is implied all vertebrate cell membranes do not have tyrosine on the portion of the protein sticking out into the extracellular fluid.

However, the intra membrane proteins may have tyrosine which is only exposed when the membrane is distorted by abnormal cell development such as we see in the pre-cancerous forms of fibrocystic disease. This would then expose the tyrosine to the iodine passing in the extracellular fluid. Again the iodine would denature the protein by reacting with the tyrosine and thus kill off the cell. So thus we have surveillance system for removing abnormal cells from our bodies. On the other hand low iodine intake allows cells to proceed and develop towards cancer. This is more indirect because the gradual increase in abnormal cells are just not being eliminated from the body because there is inadequate iodine to carry this out.
    More here:
    Dr. David Derry Answers Reader Questions -- Breast Cancer, Tamoxifen, Thyroid & Weight Loss

"Iodine remains the perfect antiseptic with the least side effects of all time. As a perfect antiseptic killing all single-celled organisms, there has to be a common mechanism of a single element like iodine. In fact, the reaction of iodine with tyrosine destroys the protein and consequently the cell itself. If, in vertebrates and multicellular organisms, the tyrosine molecule is hidden from the surface when it is normally functioning, the iodine will not trigger any apoptosis. However, during abnormal development, it could be that tyrosine or histidine molecules are slowly exposed to the surface. Extracellular iodine bathing the cells could then trigger the apoptotic mechanisms.

"The second phase of cancer spread involves thyroid hormone indirectly. The connective tissue barrier and function is controlled and strengthened by adequate levels of connective tissue thyroid hormone. Thus thyroid hormone controls the connective tissue barrier, and prevents the spread of cancer cells.

"Iodine in adequate doses prevents the development of cancer cells, and adequate thyroid hormone in the connective tissue prevents the spread."

"Iodine is the trigger mechanism for apoptosis (that natural death of cells) and the main surveillance mechanism for abnormal cells in the body. Iodine triggers the death of cells which are abnormal or which have normal programmed death as part of their life cycle.
    More here:
    Derry. Iodine and the Breast -- Research
    I am not here to debate anyone. Y'all can debate Apoptosis among yourselves. If you have any respectful questions, I will be happy to answer them.

To learn more about the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol go to the Curezone Iodine Group. There are many experts available on this subject at this site:
    Iodine Supplementation Support Forum by VWT Team, Page 267, Vulcanel, Wombat & Trapper/kcmo:

Best wishes to all,
    Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    * Fibrocystic Breast Disease Cured by Iodine

I will be reporting on all of our testimonials in multiple messages over time for those members that wish to learn:

Zophie Part 1-Breast pain since age 11, uterus pain, depression, migraine, all gone

I know I am chiming in on this post super late but I just want to thank everyone who has shared information here. Grizz, If I ever meet you in person I'm going to kiss you on the lips!

After reading everything and thinking about it I decided to give iodine a try. I have had fiber cystic breasts since I was about 11 years old and I can't even tell you how uncomfortable exercising, hugging and even bras have been my whole life. I too have had 4 different doctors tell me to cut off my breasts. (and I have even thought about it) Also they told me to get a hysterectomy as soon as I was done having children to deal with the uterine fibroids.
    [grizz-of course, they did not mention iodine. There is NO money in prescribing iodine]

I have been taking iodine with the support supplements for just over a month. I dove right in and started with 1 drop. (now up to 4 drops) The pain in my breasts went away within 24 hours!!!! I literally did a little dance in the shower when I realized it. I still have some lumps but the smaller ones are gone. I also am getting a lot of relief from the fibroid pain.

Other things I have observed is my appetite is almost completely gone, my hands don't break out from the chemicals anymore, my fingernails are hard and growing for the first time in my life, I haven't even had one migraine since starting and I am happy and have so much energy. I have suffered from depression for so long that it is amazing to feel normal again.

So, again, thank you thank you!!
    ~Blog~
    ===========================

Zophie Part 2

Thank you both! To me this is nothing short of a real miracle. Grizz, I have read everything in your file at least 5 times, I have sent it on to my mom and sister and I tell everyone in the salon who will listen. Thank you for putting it together. The information is life changing for me.

I know 11 is young... and I could have been spared 25 years of pain. I don't know if this is a common thing for girls with FB but I was that freak of nature kid who was as tall as the teacher at 9 and had a full-grown woman's body at 12. My breasts always hurt and always felt like bean bags. (and got worse over the years) I remember complaining about it when I was young and being told that it was normal for developing girls. People just thought I was complaining because I wasn't yet mature enough for the body I had. I didn't know it was FB untill I was 19 or 20 when I went in to get birth control for the first time. So I learned it was not normal but there was nothing anyone could do.

I never got as far as price with the doctors so I don't know what that would cost but I was told that they could do some nice reconstructive implants at the same time. (I'm sure that doubles the price) When I chose not to do it my last doctor wanted to get me on antidepressants to "help" me deal with it. I am sure doctors just don't know about iodine. I really feel that western medicine is great at cutting stitching and fixing broken bones. They fail when it comes to restoring health to people with chronic problems. They just want to cut it out or give you a pill to mask the symptoms. No one, it seems, asks the question of what is causing the problem. That is why I am so grateful for the information you have put out there.

I have two small victories to share. First, I went out yesterday to do a short run. About half way in there is a hill thats really steep that I use for my sprints. (maybe 150 yards long) I always run up but never down because of my chest and my uterus. Yesterday I flew down it with no pain at all and I was laughing so hard when I got to the bottom because I was so happy. Second, I woke up this morning and realized that I had slept on my stomach! Both of these are small things... to me, they represent the impossible.

=================
    Zophie Part 3

Ok, so after reading a lot of the information in this group, I decided to up my dose from 6 drops of Lugol's to 100mg. I am taking half when I wake up and half about 6 hours later. (as well as the support supplements with food)

So far I have not had any detox symptoms at all. I feel great and I am sleeping great. I'm a little surprised by this.

I do have a question for all of you who are more experienced with higher doses of iodine. Shall I stay at 100mg or raise the dose? How much do I raise it and how fast?

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. (I have only had time to read 50 or so pages of this group so far.)

Thanks!
    ~Z~

======================
    Zophie Part 4

Thank you Trapper and Paraboy for your quick and supportive replys! Yes, it is a nice surprise!

Also, thanks for the link about the dosage. I'm going to save it to pass on to anyone who may need it. Sorry that I wasn't clear. I had slowly worked my way up to 6 drops of 2% Lugol'sand then a week ago I made the big jump (leap of faith) to a full 100mg.

I just feel so wonderful and I am SO Grateful for this information. It has been life changing for me. I am pain free for the first time in 25 years!

Thanks again for all your help!
    ~Z~

========================
    Zophie Part 5 Originally Posted by Zophie

Something interesting happened this week that I would like to share.

I have been in the beauty industry for 17 years now and it is My opinion that everything (and I mean everything) we do to enhance out beauty is really just an attempt to mimic vitality.

This week at work I have been bombarded by questions about what I have had "done". Is it botox, micro-derm abrasion, collagen, new wrinkle cream/make up....or what? All my clients have been demanding to know how my wrinkles went away. It was only today when someone ask me if I had contacts (because she really loves how purple my eyes are instead of the normal green) that I realized it must be the Iodine that is causing the changes.

It makes sense now because I hadn't even started iodine the last time I saw this group of people. I know I feel great and happy. The only detox I have experienced so far is a scratchy throat when I jumped from 100mg to 200mg. That only lasted for 15 minutes so it was not a big deal. It is just amazing to me to think that my vitality has changed in such a significant way that it can be clearly seen by others.

I'm really grateful for iodine and excited to continue on this journey.
    ~Z~

Part 6
    ================
    Ya... that is what she said but they [eyes] look really clear and blue to me. I used to have some "spokes" of darker color in them as well as some green and now that is all gone. It seems like that has only changed in the last couple of weeks though.

Grizz, yes my cysts are continuing to improve. Only the biggest ones are still there. Those still are about the size of a marble or a big jelly bean but they are no longer stuck and the pain is still gone. Sometimes I get kind of sharp pain but it goes as fast as it comes. My feeling is that my body letting go of something.

All is well on the other fronts too. I am still happy with no depression, no migraines and my hair and fingernails are growing like crazy. The biggest thing though, is to be out of pain and that may be why my depression is gone. Also a new development, I seem to be (a lot) more flexible. It makes me wonder if my muscles have been stuck or locked from lack of iodine?

Truly Iodine has been a miracle for me. After reading the list of foods that have iodine I believe I have never been exposed to it in my life before now. I live in a landlocked state and never have had sea vegetables or animals. My mom has high blood pressure and so we never used salt on anything. I am also allergic to eggs. Clearly, my body has been depleted more than most. I believe that is why I am seeing amazing things happen. I have tried so many other things and I desperately wanted them to work. This is it! ...the missing piece to My puzzle. I am so grateful... there just aren't words to describe how grateful.

Beautiful Iodine at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1968169)
    ~Z~

I will not be participating in any debates. Y'all can argue among yourselves all you want about Zophie's real life testimonial.

I am available to answer any polite questions.

I know that many of you will ARGUE that Testimonials mean NOTHING because they are not scientific proof. Too bad, you are fighting a lost cause. Testimonial are good enough for me and good enough for many others who are reporting one success after another. Iodine - The MIRACLE supplement.

PS) Join the Curezone Iodine Group to learn more about the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol.
    Iodine Supplementation Support Forum by VWT Team, Page 267, Vulcanel, Wombat & Trapper/kcmo:

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 08-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast