Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 4

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    In this video you will see why the AMA, FDA, and Doctors donít want any kind of treatment for cancer other than chemo, radiation for cancer. At about 1 hour 30 minutes into the video tincture of iodine is mentioned. No. No mega doses, just painting.

The compromised Quackwatch site is mentioned too.

Cancer - The Forbidden Cures - YouTube

With love,

t2t
    Please, t2t, I know you mean well but this ranks right up there with Melinda Gates is plotting to "depopulate" the world and poisonous "chemtrails".

This video portrays the Italian huckster who touts his cancer "cure", baking soda, based on the ludicrous idea that cancer is a fungus, as some kind of persecuted martyr attacked by the money grubbing doctors who *want* us to be sick.

The entire premise that it is doctors *want* us to be sick so they can shove more pills down our throats is ridiculous. Even the idea that all MDs "push pills" is outdated. My Dad's doctor has taken him off of 4 of his five meds so far as he has gotten healthier with Primal eating. If you have a pill pushing doctor, you are free to find another one. They do exist. And people need to take responsibility for their health via lifestyle changes. Many people would rather have a pill than give up the junk food. Blaming that all on teh eeevil doctors is a tinfoil hat cop out.

And that guy who cons gullible people into thinking that cancer is a fungus is not giving his treatment as a public service. He charges tens of thousands of dollars (for baking soda). Who is the one with a financial motive? My oncologist gets the same HMO salary weather I live or die. He actually cares. And he has a real cure. One that works.

Nobody is "suppressing" anything. If there is a real cure for cancer discovered, it will be front page news on the JAMA and there will be Nobel Prizes awarded. The "miracle cure" in the meantime is not on some website peddling conspiracy theories, it is at the oncologist's office. They cure cancer every day.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Hi Paleobird,

I just find the video’s message compelling that a cheaper more natural way to treat cancer would never see the light of day given that cancer is a 50 billion plus dollars a year business. (not talking about the baking soda one)

If a cure can’t be patented it stands virtually no chance to make it to the market.
    I have seen first-hand what chemo and radiation did to several of my relatives. It was horrible and I believe with all my heart (what’s left of it) that the chemo and radiation expedited their deaths.
    Have you seen the multi-million dollar law suits of late on the boob tube? So many FDA approved drugs that had tainted studies but hit the market anyway.

MONEY is a big motivator to suppress any cure that might find its way in front of Big Pharm’s profit.
    That is my opinion. Thank you for being polite.

t2t

ScoTTyBEEE is offline Junior Member
    I've been supplementing for almost 6 months lugols of between 50 - 100mg a day. Been primal for 2 years. This what I noticed:

- Improved mental clarity, even what appeared to be sharper vision
    - Improved mood and motivation
    - Skin felt softer and smoother
    - Persistent athletes foot cleared up, also rash I've had around my neck for years cleared up
    - Applied lugols to odd little bumps on body, skin would flake off for a week, then they'd be gone as if they'd never existed. Hasn't worked for moles yet but I'm taking easy. Perhaps a more aggressive approach would work. Using a 15% strength (15iodine/30iodide) solution, so very strong.
    - Increased libido, sometimes very noticeably increased, unlike oysters, asparagus e.t.c :-)
    - No illness what so ever, never suffered from allergies so can't comment on that, but no sickness in this period

These effects were more pronounced at first and aren't as noticeable now. I have supplemented with magnesium, selenium, vit c, no cofactors at all, and added salt to my dinner

I did feel a little pain in my kidneys when I went up to a high dose a couple of times, but I eased back for a few days and was fine. I didn't suffer from any other side effects and was up to 50mg from starting at 12.5mg within a month.

HTH anyone else. Now I've done my 6 months I'll be going back to 25mg.
    Last edited by ScoTTyBEEE; 08-01-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    He may be a paid supplement salesman, and may not be a source for credible medical advice, but that doesn't mean we should automatically discount everything he says. From a quick google, there's a lot of material online linking magnesium with thyroid health. I'm just wondering if anyone has a relevant study to link to about it, or perhaps just a link to a credible and readable secondary source.
    Try this one: Abraham. Iodine and Magnesium -- Research

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    He's Brownstein's partner, & the guy who owns the supplement company, so not a 'credible secondary source'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post
    From the Mercola link above, I thought this was interesting. In one paragraph, he states:

"The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more Ė paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism."

Then a few paragraphs down:

"The Japanese consume 89 times more iodine than Americans due to their daily consumption of sea vegetables, and they have reduced rates of many chronic diseases, including the lowest rates of cancer in the world. The RDA for iodine in the U.S. is a meager 150 mcg/day, which pales in comparison with the average daily intake of 13800 mcg/day for the Japanese.

There is a large body of evidence suggesting that low cancer rates in Japan are a result of their substantially higher iodine levels, as iodine has documented antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties."

So.... huh? Which is it? Amounts over 400mcg will hurt you. Or, amounts @ 13800 mcg will help you.

I cornfused...
    Maybe it's just the delivery mechanism that is at fault. One is a natural (though now often contaminated) source, one is a laboratory source. But no one taking higher doses attains them with seafoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Several studies warn about hypothyroidism from iodine supplementation; others say it's not a problem. There are studies showing increased thyroid problems in the Japanese.

How much iodine the Japanese consume is disputed. The latest study says 1-2mg / day. This 13.8mg / day figure is often quoted, yet nobody seems able to provide details of the research that lead to that figure. If it's based on e.g. the weight of seaweed a 'typical' Japanese person was observed eating on a typical day, it's completely worthless. Different seaweeds contain different amounts of iodine, & cooking methods can make a huge difference to how much iodine is left (& again that varies for different seaweeds).

I'm not saying they didn't used to average that amount, but it could just be a random figure plucked from the air, or might only apply to a small remote village that ate nothing but raw seaweed. In which case you then have to ask what the cancer rates were in that village compared to the islands as a whole.
    Here again are the figures from the quoted abstract in the Thyroid journal: Quote:
    Japanese seaweed consumption statistics

As the Japanese transitioned from a traditional to a Westernized diet, beginning around the 1950's [20], consumption of certain seaweed species declined while others increased. A decrease in kombu consumption (844 to 685 g/year per household) and an increase in wakame consumption (727 to 1234 g/year per household) can be seen between the years of 1963 and 1973 [21]. Consumption of kombu per Japanese household dropped further to 450 g in 2006 (elders ate up to four times more than those under the age of 29) [19]. Since daily seaweed consumption per person in Japan has remained relatively consistent over the last 40 years (4.3 g/day in 1955 and 5.3 g/day in 1995) [22], it is believed that consumption of wakame and nori have made up for the decline in kombu consumption [23,24]. Both nori and wakame have relatively low iodine contents compared to kombu. Endquote:
    So we're dealing here with a generational and species difference that means the figures vary from 3 to 12 mg in the same family. Why not look at the health of the elders, who had the highest life expectancy in the world till just lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Please, t2t, I know you mean well but this ranks right up there with Melinda Gates is plotting to "depopulate" the world and poisonous "chemtrails".

This video portrays the Italian huckster who touts his cancer "cure", baking soda, based on the ludicrous idea that cancer is a fungus, as some kind of persecuted martyr attacked by the money grubbing doctors who *want* us to be sick.

The entire premise that it is doctors *want* us to be sick so they can shove more pills down our throats is ridiculous. Even the idea that all MDs "push pills" is outdated. My Dad's doctor has taken him off of 4 of his five meds so far as he has gotten healthier with Primal eating. If you have a pill pushing doctor, you are free to find another one. They do exist. And people need to take responsibility for their health via lifestyle changes. Many people would rather have a pill than give up the junk food. Blaming that all on teh eeevil doctors is a tinfoil hat cop out.

And that guy who cons gullible people into thinking that cancer is a fungus is not giving his treatment as a public service. He charges tens of thousands of dollars (for baking soda). Who is the one with a financial motive? My oncologist gets the same HMO salary weather I live or die. He actually cares. And he has a real cure. One that works.

Nobody is "suppressing" anything. If there is a real cure for cancer discovered, it will be front page news on the JAMA and there will be Nobel Prizes awarded. The "miracle cure" in the meantime is not on some website peddling conspiracy theories, it is at the oncologist's office. They cure cancer every day.
    Poison, burn or amputate. Somehow I don't like their cures. And they do stomp-HARD- on anyone outside the mainstream who promotes any kind of cure for any of the various cancers. Modern medicine is littered with the corpses of medical researchers and practioners who tried. In these cases, never mistake simple ignorance for what malice can explain.
    And a real cure for al the various cancers not only would make headlines, it would bring the economy to its knees.
    Last edited by Paysan; 08-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    well, considering i recently read a news story about researchers who scraped bacteria onto terminal brain tumors to 'heal' them and wound up killing the patients with sepsis, etc, i kinda see the point of them stomping down on flimsy seeming medicalments
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Here again are the figures from the quoted abstract in the Thyroid journal: Quote:
    Japanese seaweed consumption statistics

As the Japanese transitioned from a traditional to a Westernized diet, beginning around the 1950's [20], consumption of certain seaweed species declined while others increased. A decrease in kombu consumption (844 to 685 g/year per household) and an increase in wakame consumption (727 to 1234 g/year per household) can be seen between the years of 1963 and 1973 [21]. Consumption of kombu per Japanese household dropped further to 450 g in 2006 (elders ate up to four times more than those under the age of 29) [19]. Since daily seaweed consumption per person in Japan has remained relatively consistent over the last 40 years (4.3 g/day in 1955 and 5.3 g/day in 1995) [22], it is believed that consumption of wakame and nori have made up for the decline in kombu consumption [23,24]. Both nori and wakame have relatively low iodine contents compared to kombu. Endquote:

So we're dealing here with a generational and species difference that means the figures vary from 3 to 12 mg in the same family. Why not look at the health of the elders, who had the highest life expectancy in the world till just lately?
    Unless I'm missing something, that's seaweed consumption not iodine consumption. How do you get to "3 to 12 mg" from that without knowing whether it's wet or dry weight, or how much iodine is left after whichever cooking method is used?

Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast