On a side note... or rather back on the topic of Iodine.
Yesterday while at the hospital having tests done I had an interesting conversation with a doctor.
A neuroradiologist to be precise.
A very knowledgeable and helpful doctor.
(A side note for his quote of the day... "Doctors need to remember that patients don't read textbooks, and may not present in a textbook fashion. They also need to remember to keep their curiosity, and be the sorts of people who strive to piece together the puzzle, not sit behind a desk and check off boxes for a diagnosis.")
Anyway, I was having MRI of my head done, both without and with contrast.
So was asked about allergies.
I have had a moderate/severe allergic reaction to CT contrast dye in the past.
(The kind where you can't get any air, pass out, and they inject you with stuff... so, the bad kind, but I was in the hospital at the time so it was stopped quickly.)
And the doctor was explaining the difference between the CT contrast dye and MRI contrast dye.
CT contrast dye is iodine based!
Yes... I'm allergic to iodine.
I was really curious about that, iodine being necessary and all...
And told him that because I have such a restricted diet (no added sodium, low sodium foods, etc) that I have been taking a small amount of iodine as a supplement.
This is what he had to say... within the normal ranges of iodine consumption there is almost never any allergic reaction symptoms. When people eat iodine from food sources there is really no worry about reaction, even from kelp and fish/shell fish, because the body handles this iodine differently... it has to be digested to get it out, so it's like a slow release form... and excess can be excreted gradually as well.
But when using iodine supplements that they CAN cause the allergic reaction because it's pure iodine all in one hit. It is jarring and unnatural to the body. Most people can withstand it, but it isn't the best way and should really be reserved for use for specific reasons... some medical issues, radioactive, etc. where the benefits outweigh the possible cost to the body.
If it helps any he is an Asian man, and said to eat all the iodine rich seafood/sea veg I want.
So... it's probably a damned good thing I never started popping big doses of iodine in pill form.
I just wanted to post that there is yet another thing to watch out for... for anyone working their way up to BIG doses... it's called anaphylactic shock.
While it is not common...
It happened to me... it is a possibility.