Page 25 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 910

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 25

  1. #241
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Now that you've found how to do the quotes you want, it would be easier (for me at least) to read your posts if they were NOT in bold.

    And thanks for some of the points you've raised - very interesting. With Oxide, Paleobird, Cori, radialhead and a few others also making well reasoned and balanced posts, this thread should really go somewhere worthwhile now.
    I went back and corrected all the posts now that I have this site figured out somewhat.

  2. #242
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    On a side note... or rather back on the topic of Iodine.

    Yesterday while at the hospital having tests done I had an interesting conversation with a doctor.
    A neuroradiologist to be precise.
    A very knowledgeable and helpful doctor.
    (A side note for his quote of the day... "Doctors need to remember that patients don't read textbooks, and may not present in a textbook fashion. They also need to remember to keep their curiosity, and be the sorts of people who strive to piece together the puzzle, not sit behind a desk and check off boxes for a diagnosis.")

    Anyway, I was having MRI of my head done, both without and with contrast.
    So was asked about allergies.
    I have had a moderate/severe allergic reaction to CT contrast dye in the past.
    (The kind where you can't get any air, pass out, and they inject you with stuff... so, the bad kind, but I was in the hospital at the time so it was stopped quickly.)
    And the doctor was explaining the difference between the CT contrast dye and MRI contrast dye.
    CT contrast dye is iodine based!
    Yes... I'm allergic to iodine.

    I was really curious about that, iodine being necessary and all...
    And told him that because I have such a restricted diet (no added sodium, low sodium foods, etc) that I have been taking a small amount of iodine as a supplement.

    This is what he had to say... within the normal ranges of iodine consumption there is almost never any allergic reaction symptoms. When people eat iodine from food sources there is really no worry about reaction, even from kelp and fish/shell fish, because the body handles this iodine differently... it has to be digested to get it out, so it's like a slow release form... and excess can be excreted gradually as well.
    But when using iodine supplements that they CAN cause the allergic reaction because it's pure iodine all in one hit. It is jarring and unnatural to the body. Most people can withstand it, but it isn't the best way and should really be reserved for use for specific reasons... some medical issues, radioactive, etc. where the benefits outweigh the possible cost to the body.

    If it helps any he is an Asian man, and said to eat all the iodine rich seafood/sea veg I want.

    So... it's probably a damned good thing I never started popping big doses of iodine in pill form.
    I just wanted to post that there is yet another thing to watch out for... for anyone working their way up to BIG doses... it's called anaphylactic shock.
    While it is not common...
    It happened to me... it is a possibility.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  3. #243
    Piscator's Avatar
    Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    403
    And my father and one of my friends cannot risk even eating seafood as that seems to trigger their iodine allergies - so, not sure if even food-sourced iodine is tolerable. I seem to remember reading Brownstein making a statement that Lugols solution should be safely tolerated by those with iodine allergies. I don't remember the logic behind the statement - something to do with the organic vs inorganic forms...

  4. #244
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

    <long rant with outdated "evidence" of how nasty chemo is.> Duh.
    <more ranting about the faults of the FDA> Nobody said the system is good.
    <lots of unsupported assertions about the ineffectiveness of allopathic medicine>

    You need to improve your reading comprehension. They did two attempts at a lumpectomy and failed to get it all as it was growing so rapidly. We then resorted to a full mastectomy followed by chemo to chase down any remaining cancer cells. Given the fast growing and invasive nature of the tumor, I think this was wise.
    I am trying really hard to be patient with your acting like a complete jerk with every post, but my patience is really getting thin!

    It has nothing to do with "reading comprehension" as you put it. In fact, if you had any reading comprehension yourself then you would have realized that I clearly pointed out that I had been reading posts over several days. But I did not read all the details of your post, which is why I wrote "Even you mentioned it was caught early and it sounds like they did a lumpectomy ". Hmm.... "Sounds like", which clearly shows I did not read your post in detail. Even if I had it would not matter since I am not going to remember every detail of every post of yours I have read because you simply are not that important to me!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Dismiss as science fiction anything that does not agree with your opinion. That works.
    More reading comprehension problems I see. I was not dismissing anything based on not agreeing with my opinion. As I pointed out in my post I have a copy of the actual transcripts of the hearing. So I know for a FACT that the author was making up his claims. So don't go jumping on me just because I have actually seen the evidence and you prefer to believe whatever fits your needs whether it is true or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    What puzzling is not the content but the sheer volume. I have other things to do today. Do you?
    Why does it matter to you? We are not married!

  5. #245
    Hoss2626's Avatar
    Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27
    I am not sure if I am in total awe at Paleobird's efficient tenacity or completely put off by her constant criticism. Could it just be an Internet board crush?!?

    JamesS may be her match though. I am getting the popcorn ready.

    What is funny is that I am rethinking the amount of Iodine I want to take because of James's information, which I believe Paleobird would agree with.

  6. #246
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    And my father and one of my friends cannot risk even eating seafood as that seems to trigger their iodine allergies - so, not sure if even food-sourced iodine is tolerable. I seem to remember reading Brownstein making a statement that Lugols solution should be safely tolerated by those with iodine allergies. I don't remember the logic behind the statement - something to do with the organic vs inorganic forms...
    Yes, this is possible as well... but very rare.
    And if that is the case you are probably aware of your allergy at least, which is always good.

    For many other people food sources are fine including the sea foods where concentrations are higher than land foods, so that they have no clue of their allergy, or that they could have a severe allergic/anaphylactic reaction... but if they get a big sudden influx such as with a supplement *boom*.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  7. #247
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post
    I am not sure if I am in total awe at Paleobird's efficient tenacity or completely put off by her constant criticism. Could it just be an Internet board crush?!?

    JamesS may be her match though. I am getting the popcorn ready.

    What is funny is that I am rethinking the amount of Iodine I want to take because of James's information, which I believe Paleobird would agree with.
    Things James and I agree on :

    Iodine does not cure cancer.
    Iodine should not be taken in huge dosages.
    Reactions said to be "detox" are actually iodine overdose symptoms.
    Dr. Brownsien is a quack selling products.
    The baking soda guy is a quack too.
    Cancer is not a fungus.
    Dr. Mercola is not always the most reliable source of info.

    Places where we differ:

    The evil greed factor in medicine being so huge. BTW, I never said that big Pharma wasn't evil, just not to blame and bash the doctors.
    The efficacy of chemo.
    The health effects of soy.

    On balance, I like this guy a lot.

    And get the SeaSnax. They're better than popcorn and they have iodine.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.

  8. #248
    mom5booklover's Avatar
    mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    On a side note... or rather back on the topic of Iodine.

    Yesterday while at the hospital having tests done I had an interesting conversation with a doctor.
    A neuroradiologist to be precise.
    A very knowledgeable and helpful doctor.
    (A side note for his quote of the day... "Doctors need to remember that patients don't read textbooks, and may not present in a textbook fashion. They also need to remember to keep their curiosity, and be the sorts of people who strive to piece together the puzzle, not sit behind a desk and check off boxes for a diagnosis.")

    Anyway, I was having MRI of my head done, both without and with contrast.
    So was asked about allergies.
    I have had a moderate/severe allergic reaction to CT contrast dye in the past.
    (The kind where you can't get any air, pass out, and they inject you with stuff... so, the bad kind, but I was in the hospital at the time so it was stopped quickly.)
    And the doctor was explaining the difference between the CT contrast dye and MRI contrast dye.
    CT contrast dye is iodine based!
    Yes... I'm allergic to iodine.

    I was really curious about that, iodine being necessary and all...
    And told him that because I have such a restricted diet (no added sodium, low sodium foods, etc) that I have been taking a small amount of iodine as a supplement.

    This is what he had to say... within the normal ranges of iodine consumption there is almost never any allergic reaction symptoms. When people eat iodine from food sources there is really no worry about reaction, even from kelp and fish/shell fish, because the body handles this iodine differently... it has to be digested to get it out, so it's like a slow release form... and excess can be excreted gradually as well.
    But when using iodine supplements that they CAN cause the allergic reaction because it's pure iodine all in one hit. It is jarring and unnatural to the body. Most people can withstand it, but it isn't the best way and should really be reserved for use for specific reasons... some medical issues, radioactive, etc. where the benefits outweigh the possible cost to the body.

    If it helps any he is an Asian man, and said to eat all the iodine rich seafood/sea veg I want.

    So... it's probably a damned good thing I never started popping big doses of iodine in pill form.
    I just wanted to post that there is yet another thing to watch out for... for anyone working their way up to BIG doses... it's called anaphylactic shock.
    While it is not common...
    It happened to me... it is a possibility.
    It really depends on the organs being scanned and the type of contrast used. If intravenous is used (mostly for the abdomen and gastointestinal system) then it is it is probably iodine. If oral route is used it could be barium sulfate (white milk shake like consistency)or Gastrografin (water and iodine mixed). There is also a gas that is inhaled for some lung and brain CT's but I don't know what the gas consists of.
    I had the barium form about 8 years ago and was seriously ill like yourself. I was unable to keep the contrast dye down for more than a few minutes before throwing it up. I also had anaphalactic symptoms. Needless to say it was a torturous day in the ER.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

  9. #249
    labmonkey's Avatar
    labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post
    I am not sure if I am in total awe at Paleobird's efficient tenacity or completely put off by her constant criticism. Could it just be an Internet board crush?!?

    JamesS may be her match though. I am getting the popcorn ready.

    What is funny is that I am rethinking the amount of Iodine I want to take because of James's information, which I believe Paleobird would agree with.
    I agree.

    Thank you JamesS for sigining in and joining this discussion. Very enlightening stuff. Please keep posting

  10. #250
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    It really depends on the organs being scanned and the type of contrast used. If intravenous is used (mostly for the abdomen and gastointestinal system) then it is it is probably iodine. If oral route is used it could be barium sulfate (white milk shake like consistency)or Gastrografin (water and iodine mixed). There is also a gas that is inhaled for some lung and brain CT's but I don't know what the gas consists of.
    I had the barium form about 8 years ago and was seriously ill like yourself. I was unable to keep the contrast dye down for more than a few minutes before throwing it up. I also had anaphalactic symptoms. Needless to say it was a torturous day in the ER.
    We discussed the method of delivery and the purpose of the CT scans.
    It was intravenous iodine based CT contrast dye.
    No vomiting... I started feeling funny/light headed and breathing became difficult and I told them, they were getting me off the table from the CT when I lost consciousness completely... I woke up after injections.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


Page 25 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •