Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 20

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    Iodine may be a great supplement and it may indeed help to prevent some illnesses, but once cancer has been found, all bets are off.
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Iodine deficiency may allow cancers to grow unchecked. Adding sufficient iodine to overcome the deficiency (along with the helpful supplements), may restore the body to enough health that its immune system cures the cancer. In all disease states that have happy endings, it is still the immune system that should get the credit, not radiation, not poisoning, not amputation.
    There is a big difference between having a healthy iodine level to support your immune system, and iodine curing an existing tumor. I don't doubt that iodine can be a very valuable adjunct to other medical care, supporting your immune system to keep you strong enough so that the chemo can do its job. But it is not going to make a tumor just "go away". That is magical thinking and is dangerous. Reality is sometimes hard. But medical treatment works.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    From what I can tell, DuhPrincess has an inherent mistrust of the medical establishment. As do I. In my opinion, the mistrust is well-founded and well-deserved. After all, most doctors participate in the promotion of the Standard American Diet, or if they don't actively promote it, they certainly do nothing to counter it. The failure of the SAD in our own lives is why most of us have ended up at this MDA forum. Yes, I will continue to go to use the medical establishment for injuries and such, but it's usually the last thing I think of when and if I have some strange symptom - which is rare.

Since giving up asthma meds after going 'primal', I wonder why nobody from the medical establishment ever addressed my diet while I fought childhood asthma and major allergy symptoms (95% which have also disappeared). Thanks Docs - that's some real fine medical work there! But those weekly allergy shots helped pay their bills. Took those until I was 18, and was given the option of paying for them myself with no insurance or discontinuing the shots. I quit, cold turkey, and the allergies were never any worse.

Been fighting a dry-mouth condition for a few weeks now, which started before my extended fast and has continued, although is getting a bit better. My wife really thinks I should see a doctor, and I really think that would be a complete waste of my time and money - unless I feel that adding some toxic prescription will really make my life better. No thanks, think I'll look into alternatives, suggestions and/or just let my body work through it.

Not that I'm even considering that this means I need iodine - hell, maybe I'm mercury or lead deficient. Just providing my thoughts on why I've considered iodine supplementation and alternatives to what even folks here label "real medicine". I'm happy for those of you who feel you've benefitted from traditional western medicine. I feel I've largely been let down by it.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    I would have to agree that I have been let down for the most part by traditional medicine. As a nursing student I learned how closed minded Universities are and that is what they teach medical and nursing students. I have been let down so many times by traditional medicine that I can't even count them on both hands. But......there is still some benefits to knowing where your health status is. If that means lab work, xrays, or mammagrams then so be it. I still would not completely trust everything that I learned from those tests but it's better to have some idea where you stand than to not know at all and to guess. You never know you could have some terrible dabilitating cancer and not have a clue. Traditional medicine is not perfect and neither is naturapathy. You have to learn from your mistakes and make educated decisions from those mistakes. I will still get check-ups, mammograms, and lab work. But I don't always take my endocrinologists advice (which is to remove my thyroid) and I don't necessarily always take my naturopaths advice (which is to stay away from foods containing iodine) either. I listen and learn from all of them and I also throw in a little bit of my own investigating and try to make the best decision regarding my health as well as my families.

I will choose natural medicine over traditional every day of my life. But I still understand the importance of traditional medicine in certain areas of my health. Some day I believe that traditional medicine will start to conform to a more natural way if only because so many people refuse to listen to thier doctors advice anymore because they want to push surgery, poisonous pills, and CW on us. The amount of Naturopathic doctors has risen in the last few years for a reason. People are demanding a more natural way of life. Heck even my GP who has never been a natural-pusher has started looking into more natural treatments and dietary changes before suggesting anti depressants and the like. That has been just in the past 3 years since he tried to put me on anti-depressants for migraines last time I saw him.

I choose to treat my Graves disease with iodine (and other supplements) because that is the only thing that works. Both my endo and naturoplath have warned against it but they ignore the fact that my goiter is almost gone and my symptoms are completely absent. My lab tests have not shown a single sign of the disease in years. Not because I removed my thyroid like my endo suggested. Not because I avoided foods with iodine like my naturopath suggested but because I educated myself and went with my gut. Iodine is a necessary mineral. We cannot live without it. I wish my doctors would understand that.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you .

Note, I'm not criticising anyone who chooses to go via the conventional route and have chemo. But honestly, something that destroys healthy cells and makes your hair fall out is NOT something that is healthy or can be treated lightly. It may even succeed in destroying one cancer, only to cause other cancers years down the track.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Finally I read this whole thread. Here are all my thoughts, transferred from the other thread:

We probably are deficient in iodine, but not by the megadoses that Grizz advocated.

The idea that many of our problems began with brominated flour and brominated fire retardants is intriguing. Another good reason to cut out wheat.

The iodine theory is that we need to shove out toxic bromine/ide and replace it with iodine/ide. Sounds reasonable, but I see no reason to do it all at once.

From the evidence it appears that iodine has some effect on fibrocystic breast pain, and enlarged prostate (get up and go at night). Those two anecdotals, IMO, deserve a lot more study. Don't most cures start out as anecdotals? You have to start somewhere.

I don't want to trust CureZone based on a comment from Grizz. Grizz said something like dissent is not tolerated and people are banned. All that does is filter out negative results. No wonder CureZone is full of positive stories.

I have Lugol's but I've decided to supplement with kombu kelp instead. One serving of Kombu kelp is about 1 mg, I think.* That's 10 times the RDA. One serving on Kombu and a salt/kelp mixture on my morning eggs is sufficient.

Since I'm not taking magadoses of iodine, I don't feel the need to take the megadoses of supplement protocol. So I just take the Vitamin C and the brazil nuts and call it a day. I don't know how magnesium makes people sleepy. I took 200 mgs and it never worked for me. I tried to salt protocol and all it did was raise my blood pressure from 100 to 125. I stopped immediately.

I tried to use Lugols to remove some moles. This is what I found: Yes, Iodine does sort of remove moles, but only sort of. Mainly, iodine burned my skin to a crisp and when it peeled off, a little of the mole came with it. I tried to make a small-spot band-aid but that didn't seem to work as well burning all the surrounding skin. I don't know if the iodine works because it attacks the mole, or because it just takes the skin off wholesale. In the end I stopped using the iodine altogether because it was a bloody mess. End result: two brown toe moles went from very visible to gray spots which are hard to see. A prominant flat dark brown mole is now a slightly recessed dark gray spot, but it took 3 months of iodine application and painful peeling to get that far. A flesh colored mole was not affected. The jury is still out on the cherry angioma (tiny red mole). It still looks burnt. I may try it on another mole which appears to be less deep, but not until wintertime, when I can cover up with more clothing. It will probably take another month before my skin returns to its original color. Now it still looks darker than the rest of me.

I like the idea of a mammo at age 40. The "detriment" to mammo is mental anguish and false positives and the insurance aspect. It's not like the mammo fails to detect (many) cancers. So I don't see the conservatism as a bad thing. The mental anguish happens when the radiologist finds something and tells you to come back in two weeks. I had a false asymmetry. Everything is fine, but I was nearly non-functioning for those two weeks. I advocate some form of immediate callback instead of waiting two weeks for another appointment.

-----------------
    *A few months ago, some of the seaweed packages said "good source of iodine" and included the iodine RDA in the Nutrition Facts: for example 1/4 teaspoon of kelp flakes = 1224% RDA. In the past six weeks or so, all that labeling disappeared. I don't know why. Now I don't know the exact iodine content.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Hi Oxide,
    Your story was intriguing about the moles. I have never used any of these suggestions.

Hands-On: Removing Moles with Iodine Part 2.

Here they talk of a dry ice technique.

Freeze away moles?

Hope it helps.

t2t

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    @Bloodorchid,
    Have you had a chance to get an MRI? I know they are very expensive.
    i've had several, for varying health things & an ultrasound aimed specifically at my ovaries and uterus

i send positive vibes for you snl, no mater what treatment she chooses

hi, maybe you missed it but could you tell me who is advocating NOT taking iodine?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Still following, have been reading all the links and done some searching on Iodine myself without any great revelations yet, there definately seems to be something in the story, but obviously more research still needs to be done.

On the Cancer issue, I haven't had a personal experience and do not know what choices I would make if faced with that issue, so this is just where I stand currently.
    Like a previous poster mentioned regarding Thyroid problems, my partner had a similar experience in that basically the prevailing medical advice was if it does not self correct within 18 months the only options available are Surgical removal or Radioactive Iodine to ablate it, well after 5 years of treatment (meds, diet, lifestyle etc.) she now has a fully functioning normal thyroid and from what I have read about other diseases including cancer the policy is much the same. So I have come to the conclusion that most conventional medicine is based on what I now term the "Slash & Burn" protocol, in some cases this may be the best treatment, but in many cases there may be more appropriate treatment protocols.
    Cancer and other terminal diseases present a difficult situation with research because of the moral dilema of withholding treatment, this came to light for me when reading about lactate and brain injury recovery (Dr George A Brooks) where there has been some good success by treating Brain Trauma patients with excess lactate, but limited because of the conditions of having to use a patient on "deaths door" and moral considerations with family members.
    This predicament restricts lines of research in areas like Cancer, so what naturally happens is research is generally funneled into the current accepted "best practice" being Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiation etc., just because all the research is in this area does not mean it is the best treatment protocol, if conventional treatment had a 100% or even 90% success rate then there would be little question, but as successful treatment is far less than that and often the treatment proposed is only quoted as a life extension figure with a 0% survival rating, there is still a question on it's efficacy.
    We also like to apply the rigors of scientific studies well how do you apply these to cancer?
    I have not seen a study that has screened a random population, identified trial subjects, prepared two groups of age & criteria matched individuals, then conducted a double blind placebo study to determine the true effectiveness of treatment. The only real data we have is from individuals that were diagnosed with some form of cancer and then treated with either positive or negative outcomes, we don't know how many individuals there are out there that had a cancer of some form that has self resolved without them ever being aware and whether those diagnosed and treated would not have had the same degree of success if not treated, I know of about 10 people in my life who were diagnosed with a cancer and all went down the conventional treatment path only 4 are alive today.
    So when we tout scientific studies being required for Iodine or any other protocol when comparing with Cancer treatment or any other terminal condition, remember with cancer the data is generally one sided, there is no placebo.
    Recently I stumbled across a small article in the paper recently that reported on a study of secondary cancer incidents post breast cancer treatment were far worse for those that worried a lot more about getting a secondary cancer, just did a google search this is another report about breast cancer and stress, saying those that had the stress reduction group therapy were 45% less likely to have a recurrance and 56% less likely to die from breast cancer than those that didn't:
    Stress-Reduction Therapy May Hike Breast Cancer Survival Rates - Breast Cancer - Health.com
    Doesn't this type of information even raise the question that with appropriate diet, nutrient supplements & lifestyle changes (stress reduction) that survival rates as good as or possibly better than conventional treatment may actually be possible?

I am in no way advocating that Iodine as a miracle cure or that anyone should refuse conventional treatment for cancer, that is a personal choice, I'm just trying to add to a balanced debate.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    38 years ago when I was 17 I used to go to a dentist named Dr. Duncun down in Atlanta. He was an Emory University graduate. His dental hygienist was a lady, who like many was torturous with the scraping tools and the infamous stainless steel hook. My “gums” were in the greatest shape or “their” lives but were no match for her devilish regimen of cleaning teeth and leaving bloodied and tattered GUMS as collateral damage.

But what she did next was nothing short of a real miracle for pain relief for my ailing gums. She took a small unmarked amber bottle and would soak a Qtip with two or three drops from the bottle. She then would apply the soaked Qtip to my gum line, first the entire outside, top and bottom and then the inside, top and bottom. The liquid would sting a little upon application but strangely give a numbing but tremendous pain relief to my entire gum line. So instead of my “gums” being very sore for two or three days they would be a little sore that afternoon and night only. By the next morning there was no pain. So the only part of my regular 6 month visits to the dental hygienist was that beloved wet Qtip that I knew was going to help wash my pain away.

When we moved away and got a new Dentist, I suffered the 2 to 3 day “soreness” for years, again. But after rediscovering Iodine almost 5 years ago and smelling the iodine, my mind flooded with the memory of that small brown bottle that the dental hygienist had , and I realized that the liquid inside was IODINE So now every 6 months, I get my iodine with Qtip ready to do battle with the dental hygienist.

So I challenge anyone, who has a really aggressive dental hygienist to just apply 2% or 5% Lugols iodine to one side of their gums with a Qtip and FEEL the difference.

You’ll thank me later.

t2t

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    38 years ago when I was 17 I used to go to a dentist named Dr. Duncun down in Atlanta. He was an Emory University graduate. His dental hygienist was a lady, who like many was torturous with the scraping tools and the infamous stainless steel hook. My “gums” were in the greatest shape or “their” lives but were no match for her devilish regimen of cleaning teeth and leaving bloodied and tattered GUMS as collateral damage.

But what she did next was nothing short of a real miracle for pain relief for my ailing gums. She took a small unmarked amber bottle and would soak a Qtip with two or three drops from the bottle. She then would apply the soaked Qtip to my gum line, first the entire outside, top and bottom and then the inside, top and bottom. The liquid would sting a little upon application but strangely give a numbing but tremendous pain relief to my entire gum line. So instead of my “gums” being very sore for two or three days they would be a little sore that afternoon and night only. By the next morning there was no pain. So the only part of my regular 6 month visits to the dental hygienist was that beloved wet Qtip that I knew was going to help wash my pain away.

When we moved away and got a new Dentist, I suffered the 2 to 3 day “soreness” for years, again. But after rediscovering Iodine almost 5 years ago and smelling the iodine, my mind flooded with the memory of that small brown bottle that the dental hygienist had , and I realized that the liquid inside was IODINE So now every 6 months, I get my iodine with Qtip ready to do battle with the dental hygienist.

So I challenge anyone, who has a really aggressive dental hygienist to just apply 2% or 5% Lugols iodine to one side of their gums with a Qtip and FEEL the difference.

You’ll thank me later.

t2t
    Or you could always just find a less sadistic dental hygienist.

I'm sure that the iodine did help however because it is a topical antiseptic and would keep any injuries she caused from getting infected and help them to heal more quickly. Tea tree oil does the same thing.

But really, there is no need for massively bloody gums unless you have a serious case of gingivitis or a really incompetent hygienist.

Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast