Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 2

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I tend to be pretty open to experimenting, and I was soon up to 12 mg per day using Lugol's solution. The biggest thing I noticed was that my nearly lifelong case of athlete's foot disappeared - completely.
    Now that's interesting. I too have had athlete's foot for as long as I can remember, which lead to fungal nail infection on all toes. None of the 'guaranteed to work' remedies on the net have worked, & neither did some extremely powerful drugs (Sporanox - just made me feel like shite for 6 months).

I've been taking around 12mg Lugol's per day too for the last few weeks, also for experimentation purposes, & for the last week or so my feet have been peeling like crazy. Did that happen with you? Were there any specific signs to the athlete's foot disappearing, or did it just clear up after n days/weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Too Much Iodine May Lead to Subclinical Hypothyroidism
    TROLL!!!

(sorry couldn't resist)

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Now that's interesting. I too have had athlete's foot for as long as I can remember, which lead to fungal nail infection on all toes. None of the 'guaranteed to work' remedies on the net have worked, & neither did some extremely powerful drugs (Sporanox - just made me feel like shite for 6 months).

I've been taking around 12mg Lugol's per day too for the last few weeks, also for experimentation purposes, & for the last week or so my feet have been peeling like crazy. Did that happen with you? Were there any specific signs to the athlete's foot disappearing, or did it just clear up after n days/weeks?
    I also had athletes foot very badly on and off for years. The first thing I noticed after starting primal eating (after weight loss, improved asthma and BP dropping!) was no athletes foot. That was before any Iodine supplements (which was seaweed pills for ages, then small amounts of lugol's).

The biggest thing for me recently is total removal of psoriasis, but whether that is due to small amounts of iodine, brazil nuts, vitamin K2 mk4 + 7, fermented cod liver oil or vitamin d3, I can't say - but it is wonderful!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Beware--the majority of hypothyroid patients in the U.S. have Hashimoto's--and iodine supplementation should be AVOIDED by anyone with Hashimoto's. And given the fact that typical lab testing is notoriously inaccurate for diagnosing Hashi's [many false negatives], anyone who is hypothyroid cannot be sure he/she doesn't have Hashi's unless another specific cause has been identified.

It is true that in other countries, especially developing countries, thyroid problems are often caused by thyroid deficiency. But that has not been the case in the U.S. since early in the 20th century. We get more than sufficient iodine from our food sources.

Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    From the Mercola link above, I thought this was interesting. In one paragraph, he states:

"The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more – paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism."

Then a few paragraphs down:

"The Japanese consume 89 times more iodine than Americans due to their daily consumption of sea vegetables, and they have reduced rates of many chronic diseases, including the lowest rates of cancer in the world. The RDA for iodine in the U.S. is a meager 150 mcg/day, which pales in comparison with the average daily intake of 13800 mcg/day for the Japanese.

There is a large body of evidence suggesting that low cancer rates in Japan are a result of their substantially higher iodine levels, as iodine has documented antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties."

So.... huh? Which is it? Amounts over 400mcg will hurt you. Or, amounts @ 13800 mcg will help you.

I cornfused...

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post
    From the Mercola link above, I thought this was interesting. In one paragraph, he states:

"The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more – paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism."

"The Japanese consume 89 times more iodine than Americans due to their daily consumption of sea vegetables, and they have reduced rates of many chronic diseases, including the lowest rates of cancer in the world. The RDA for iodine in the U.S. is a meager 150 mcg/day, which pales in comparison with the average daily intake of 13800 mcg/day for the Japanese.

There is a large body of evidence suggesting that low cancer rates in Japan are a result of their substantially higher iodine levels, as iodine has documented antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties."

So.... huh? Which is it? Amounts over 400mcg will hurt you. Or, amounts @ 13800 mcg will help you.

I cornfused...
    Perhaps the difference is Supplemental vs. Natural/dietary.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've had no ill-effects taking iodine even at fairly high levels. I have not been taking any supplements of any kind at all for about a month now and feel just fine. I'm suspicious of CW warnings about things like iodine when what CW offers isn't always the most helpful or the least harmful. In my opinion, the warnings regarding iodine are really overblown, as are perhaps the benefits.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss2626 View Post

"The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism."

I cornfused...
    Several studies warn about hypothyroidism from iodine supplementation; others say it's not a problem. There are studies showing increased thyroid problems in the Japanese.

How much iodine the Japanese consume is disputed. The latest study says 1-2mg / day. This 13.8mg / day figure is often quoted, yet nobody seems able to provide details of the research that lead to that figure. If it's based on e.g. the weight of seaweed a 'typical' Japanese person was observed eating on a typical day, it's completely worthless. Different seaweeds contain different amounts of iodine, & cooking methods can make a huge difference to how much iodine is left (& again that varies for different seaweeds).

I'm not saying they didn't used to average that amount, but it could just be a random figure plucked from the air, or might only apply to a small remote village that ate nothing but raw seaweed. In which case you then have to ask what the cancer rates were in that village compared to the islands as a whole.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I take 6.25 mg of Iodoral per day. A few points about why:

1. I would love to get it from dietary sources, but access to clean sources is not easy, and getting enough from seafood/seaweed would be a far greater hit to my food budget (which is tight for now) than the relatively cheap supplement.
    2. I had a total thyroidectomy several years ago, so I have no concerns about potential negative effects. If I still had my thyroid, I would likely be more cautious, and work closely with my doctor.
    3. I have a strong family history of breast cancer. This is my primary reason for supplementing.
    4. Since I started supplementing, my cycles have regulated to 28 days (they used to be a bit longer) and my menstrual cramps have almost entirely disappeared, so obviously it has affected my hormones in a good way.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    I take 6.25 mg of Iodoral per day. A few points about why:

1. I would love to get it from dietary sources, but access to clean sources is not easy, and getting enough from seafood/seaweed would be a far greater hit to my food budget (which is tight for now) than the relatively cheap supplement.
    2. I had a total thyroidectomy several years ago, so I have no concerns about potential negative effects. If I still had my thyroid, I would likely be more cautious, and work closely with my doctor.
    3. I have a strong family history of breast cancer. This is my primary reason for supplementing.
    4. Since I started supplementing, my cycles have regulated to 28 days (they used to be a bit longer) and my menstrual cramps have almost entirely disappeared, so obviously it has affected my hormones in a good way.
    I decided to take Norweigan Kelp after getting about 75 pgs into that old thread. By around page 90 there was a warning that it could contain high levels of arsenic. By this time, I was already taking it and I thought, "f it" I'll keep going with it.

The main reasons I looked into taking iodine is because after increasing my carbs to help with fatigue, I saw some
    improvement but, not a whole lot. Then I noticed fatigue during the day and problems sleeping at night. I also knew I was eating little to no iodine in dietary source, so I dove into that massive thread. As I started reading about symptoms of low thyroid, I noticed I had many, including cold hands and feet and low body temp. Then when I read about breast cancer, I decided to start the kelp pills. My mom had breast cancer and I know she had a lot of these symptoms too, like cold hands and feet. When I first started the kelp pills, I noticed I was warm a lot and I had wayyyy better sleeps. Also sexual desire increased. Then it tappered off or something and I felt the same. I'm having difficulty falling alseep again and sexual desire is "meh". Do I up? I don't know. I'm right now at 1.5mg/day. Seems like a reasonable #

Yes that thread got a little crazy. I think I read it up to 200 'n some but, I took from it what I thought was important to me.
    Last edited by labmonkey; 08-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast