Page 19 of 92 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 19

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    @Paleobird,

Even though this was a study done on animals doesn’t it suggest Iodine and or other meds could help, the body, reverse cancer, at least some cancers?

Even taking 100 milligrams of Iodine a day I still had bleeding ulcers but when I started taking 125 MILLIgrams of elemental Iodine 4 times a day with 200 MICROgrams of selenomethionine 4 times a day too, for 2 months, I stopped bleeding. Yes. I was taking 2000 Iu’s of D3 at the time and 5 mg’s of K2 also. So I believe that Iodine helped my body heal my ulcers once and for all. I can’t prove it other than my word. After several years of no stomach pain and bleeding on the toilet I believe I am cured! I could go back to the Doctor and let them put the camera down into my stomach again but I don’t feel the need.

Iodine Alters Gene Expression in the MCF7 Breast Cancer Cell Line: Evidence for an Anti-Estrogen Effect of Iodine

Cancer ND: Iodine Helps Prevent and Treat Breast Cancer

I seek good health and hopefully in a safe way like everyone.

t2t

P.S. Just talked in person with my sister in law. She said that the Doctor told her the cancer was a low grade cancer (she couldn't remember the name) I will try to find out later on. Because of her family history, her Doctor is adamant that my SNL should get a total breast removal (both) and something about armpit glands too. The Doctor even told my SNL that she would give this same advice to her own mother. I asked my SNL if she going to explore the idea of any meds that might help her. She replied that for years she has said that if she was ever diagnosed with cancer she WOULD just go ahead and get them removed. My wife is going wirh her sister, to the Plastc surgeon and then cancer Doctor next Wednesday to set up the operation date.
    Last edited by t2t; 08-07-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: 4 times a day Update on SNL

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post

t2t

P.S. Just talked in person with my sister in law. She said that the Doctor told her the cancer was a low grade cancer (she couldn't remember the name) I will try to find out later on. Because of her family history, her Doctor is adamant that my SNL should get a total breast removal (both) and something about armpit glands too. I asked her was she going to explore the idea of any meds that might help her. She replied that for years she has said that if she was ever diagnosed with cancer she WOULD just go ahead and get them removed.
    I'm chiming in here since I'm also pretty familiar with cancer, just not personally so like Paleobird. I would recommend strongly that your SIL get a second opinion and if she has not had BRCA and possibly even BART testing, she needs to get that done. If they are recommending bilateral mastectomy AND lymph node dissection, then the doctors think there is a possibility of metastatic disease even with the cancer being considered a low grade. The only medications (in my own personal opinion) that can "help" at this point are chemotherapy or possibly hormone blockers if the cancer is estrogen receptor positive. Iodine may be a great supplement and it may indeed help to prevent some illnesses, but once cancer has been found, all bets are off.

I type enough reports about women with breast cancer (and all other types of cancer) that I, too, have pretty much decided in my own mind that if something were to be found, then I'd just go for the mastectomy/ies.

Best wishes to your sister in law. I hope she has an outcome that is favorable to her.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been in this thread much lately, or really contributed, because my medical issues are acting up and it makes reading medical information and journal articles and such very difficult.
    But I have to ask this.
    If the best recommendation that a doctor has in the case of cancer(yes, get a second opinion and all that) is to have a mastectomy, what is the big deal?
    Breasts are not necessary to function. Yes, I'm sure it's a process that will change a person, but so are a million other things. Like children who end up watching their mother die, because she wanted to keep her boobs?!
    This culture places far too much emphasis on the physical breast as a marker of "womanhood" or "femininity".
    This is ridiculous.
    If a person had bone cancer in their lower leg, or cancer in their eye, I think they would be more likely to comfortably say "Yes"to removal in this country than breast removal. It's a shame.
    Breasts are great, but they are not necessary to live a happy life.
    Notice a key word there... LIVE.
    If they ever tell me mine need to go, they can have them!

Best wishes to your sister in law t2t.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    You'd be amazed, Cori. There are women and men who are emotionally attached to body parts. I'm not judging them for it. I have typed a number of reports for women who wanted a breast conservation approach no matter what. I've typed reports for a couple of women who started out as stage I and refused any type of chemo or surgical approach and then a number of years later they were back with stage IV disease and ready to get aggressive, but it was too late. I've done reports for women who agreed to have chemotherapy, but only the kind that didn't make their hair fall out (yes, there are some of those) even if it was not the most effective one or the one the doctor recommended.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Thank you RobinNM and cori.

t2t

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhPrincess View Post

So again, I will ask that those of you who refuse to use iodine supplements for bromide detoxing or other health concerns go start another thread that is devoted entirely to "Haters of Iodine Supplementation and Outright Disdain for Those Who Use It." Then you can stop peeing in our pool where we want to simply discuss iodine with each other so we can make good choices as we use it. And I promise I won't come to your hateful thread and pee in YOUR pool. And if you aren't mature enough to accept something so reasonable, I again say that it has to be a truly hateful person that would refuse that compromise. Many of you are like a fly buzzing near my ear with no real purpose to be here other than to continue buzzing & biting until I finally get frustrated enough to swat you. Grizz said and it wouldn't work to start a new thread because you'd all come here and do the same thing again. When I read PB's very first post here bashing Brownstein, I almost posted, "Grizz called it!" I resisted at the time but then went overboard swatting later. (Quote by PaleoBird: "Dr. Brownstein is in the business of selling iodine and supplements. Is it any wonder he advocates such a high dosage of iodine and says the supplements are "required"?")
    Note the title of this thread - 'A discussion and perhaps a civilised debate" It wasn't begun as a Brownstein supporters thread, it wasn't started as a thread for those who wanted huge doses of iodine only - it was begun so that people with any opinions regarding using iodine in any amounts could discuss their experience, views, results etc. The people who are posting on here, by and large, are certainly not iodine haters, or, to use your rather coarse expression, "pissing in your pool" This thread is, actually, not YOUR POOL but an open forum - for views covering all angles of iodine use.

Personally, as a result of this, and the previous, thread, I increased the amount of iodine I had been taking from three kelp pills daily (which I had taken for YEARS) to a couple of drops of Lugols per week.

And after reading a lot of the links posted, which helped me to make up my own mind regarding which studies etc I thought sound, and which I didn't, I have reverted to kelp mainly, with the odd drop of lugols in water. And many thanks to all those posting moderate views which helped me to this position.

And the bit about flies buzzing around your ear - isn't this a bit of a high handed, even egocentric, approach to so many sound, measured posts??!! You say that Grizz said that it would be no good starting a new post because "you'd all come here and do the same thing again". Could I respectfully point out that this thread was started to be a moderate thread and that in fact it is Grizz and you who have come here to "do the same thing again".
    Last edited by breadsauce; 08-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    When I paint 200 to 300 Milligrams of Iodine on my daughter’s back I have to give her much less insulin.
    For instance when I checked her blood last night it was a little high at 156. (she sneaks food at times) So I gave her 11 and a half units, of the 24 hour insulin LANTUS. I normally give her 13 units. I didn’t give her any NOVALOG the 2 hour insulin as usually I would have given her at least 1 whole unit of the NOVALOG with the 13 units of the LANTUS.
    She was extra active yesterday also so I didn’t give her the D3. I would have had to of reduced her insulin even more if I would have given her even 5000 IU’s of D3.

Both she and my wife had HYPOthyroid several months ago. They both were on 5000 IU’s of D3 at the time and both were taking up to 5 MILLIgrams of K2. My daughter’s TSH from the pituitary gland was over 4. My wife’s was over 5.
    So I started painting 200 to 300 MILLIgrams of iodine on both of them. That’s roughly 24 to 34 MILLIgrams of iodine absorbed into the bloodstream. Had both of them taking 200 MICROgrams of SeMC selenium also. ( I cannot stress the need for selenomethionine or SeMC enough while taking Iodine) No other cofactors were being taken. I talked our Doctor into rechecking both of their TSH’s a little over eight weeks later.

My wife’s ad Daughter’s TSH’s were 1.31 and 1.41 as best as I can remember. However their body temperature was 96.1 and 97.2 respectively too. So I got the Doctor to give them each 30 MILLIgrams of Armour and both of their body temperatures’ have risen up to 98.4 when checked in the morning before they both get out of bed.

I am not saying that anyone on this board take any amount of iodine or any selenomethionine. I am just saying what Iodine and selenomethionine (now SeMC has done for my family and me.) And 30 mg’s of Armour for my wife and daughter. And of course D3 and K2 mk4 with iodine has caused my wife to lose over 30 lbs in 8 weeks and my daughter and I to lose over 16 lbs. Actually I have lost over 25 lbs total after I upped my D3 intake from 2000 IU’s to 10,000 IU’s like my wife takes each and every night t bedtime. And we all take 1 mg’s of K2 mk4 three times a day with 1 teaspoon of coconut or olive oil. (I am taking 3 tablespoons instead of teaspoons temporarily to see if it will raise my HDL above 30) on my next blood test.

P.S. The higher amounts of D3 have already dropped my A1C to 6.1. I had already stopped taking metformin several weeks before that blood test was conducted.
    There are so many confounding variables going on here. Diet compliance (or lack thereof), activity levels, other supplements, prescription medication, dietary changes, weight loss all have an effect. I don't doubt that iodine is an aspect of a healthy body but to draw a causal link here is a stretch.

Even though this was a study done on animals doesn’t it suggest Iodine and or other meds could help, the body, reverse cancer, at least some cancers?

Even taking 100 milligrams of Iodine a day I still had bleeding ulcers but when I started taking 125 MILLIgrams of elemental Iodine 4 times a day with 200 MICROgrams of selenomethionine 4 times a day too, for 2 months, I stopped bleeding. Yes. I was taking 2000 Iu’s of D3 at the time and 5 mg’s of K2 also. So I believe that Iodine helped my body heal my ulcers once and for all. I can’t prove it other than my word. After several years of no stomach pain and bleeding on the toilet I believe I am cured! I could go back to the Doctor and let them put the camera down into my stomach again but I don’t feel the need.

Iodine Alters Gene Expression in the MCF7 Breast Cancer Cell Line: Evidence for an Anti-Estrogen Effect of Iodine

Cancer ND: Iodine Helps Prevent and Treat Breast Cancer
    These two links a a perfect example about how real science goes wrong. The first is a very interesting study about iodine inducing cancer cell death in a petri dish. That is basis for more research, yes, but it is orders of magnitude away from the second headline on a ND's blog trumpeting a "cure". Even the first article does not ever go anywhere near the word cure and only postulates that there may be some "protective effect" to iodine. When you read the ND's blog post it also is quite reasonable suggesting moderate supplementation from natural sources IF you are diagnosed as deficient. But the headline is the attention grabber.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If a person had bone cancer in their lower leg, or cancer in their eye, I think they would be more likely to comfortably say "Yes"to removal in this country than breast removal. It's a shame.
    Breasts are great, but they are not necessary to live a happy life.
    Notice a key word there... LIVE.
    If they ever tell me mine need to go, they can have them!
    Exactly. LIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    You'd be amazed, Cori. There are women and men who are emotionally attached to body parts. I'm not judging them for it. I have typed a number of reports for women who wanted a breast conservation approach no matter what. I've typed reports for a couple of women who started out as stage I and refused any type of chemo or surgical approach and then a number of years later they were back with stage IV disease and ready to get aggressive, but it was too late. I've done reports for women who agreed to have chemotherapy, but only the kind that didn't make their hair fall out (yes, there are some of those) even if it was not the most effective one or the one the doctor recommended.
    My doctors tried the lumpectomy approach on me TWICE and still the tumor eluded them. Then I got the full mastectomy. If I had it to do over again, I would skip the first two ops and go directly to mastectomy. Fewer layers of scar tissue and less time in the hospital.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    *sigh*

Iodine. Does. Not. Cure. Cancer.
    Iodine deficiency may allow cancers to grow unchecked. Adding sufficient iodine to overcome the deficiency (along with the helpful supplements), may restore the body to enough health that its immune system cures the cancer. In all disease states that have happy endings, it is still the immune system that should get the credit, not radiation, not poisoning, not amputation.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, first of all that is only one study and the other one is just re-quoting the yahoo post. If you bothered to watch the Fox News ("fair and balanced") clip in the yahoo post, you will see that even there, they are not advocating against chemo. This study is explaining why long term chemo is not as effective as short term. And it is the basis for improving chemo treatments, not chucking them.

Again, as bloodorchid pointed out upthread, your reading comprehension could be improved.

Page 19 of 92 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast