Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 18

chahaya is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is the full study as published in the Journal of Cancer : Effectiveness of population-based service screening with mammography for women ages 40 to 49 years - Hellquist - 2010 - Cancer - Wiley Online Library

It clearly shows that mammograms do save lives when you look at the long term. Studies showing pessimistic results were too short to see the benefits.

No, you don't know my history but I was not lucky enough to have one of the slow growing kind of tumors you speak of. Mine was a fast growing, invasive bugger. I would be dead if I hadn't been treated in time. This is medical fact, not opinion.

But what should it matter what is statistically likely or unlikely? What if you happened to get one like mine? Why would you take such a risk with your life when there is a simple and non physically harmful diagnostic tool available?

I went through hell and back and I have some nasty scars that will never go away but I'm alive. I climbed the world's tallest freestanding mountain last year. I just turned 50 and plan on at least another 50.

Get a mammogram, ladies. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to cancer.
    Hi Paleobird, don't know if you have already mentioned it before but I am really curious why you decided to go for that first mammogram checkup? Did you have any prior symptoms or family history as such that your doctor suggested a mammogram in your 40s (my assumption, correct me if I'm wrong) or it was a personal decision by you? What are some of the diagnostic checkups that you are doing now since remission? Sorry if some these questions are too personal, it's okay if you don't want to answer. Thanks so much!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chahaya View Post
    Hi Paleobird, don't know if you have already mentioned it before but I am really curious why you decided to go for that first mammogram checkup? Did you have any prior symptoms or family history as such that your doctor suggested a mammogram in your 40s (my assumption, correct me if I'm wrong) or it was a personal decision by you? What are some of the diagnostic checkups that you are doing now since remission? Sorry if some these questions are too personal, it's okay if you don't want to answer. Thanks so much!
    My HMO follows the American Cancer Society guidelines for testing which means that it's standard at 40. I was diagnosed at 45. Had I waited until 50 to have my first mammogram I would be dead. (And there is no way that 5 mammograms "caused" cancer. That is tinfoil hat nonsense parroted by people who don't even have a basic understanding of the quantities of radiation involved.)

Since cancer, I have been checked annually with a mammogram and do self exams as well. I just recently passed the five year cancer free mark which is when the doctors all take a big sigh of relief. Statistically speaking, after five years one is almost back to normal.

Someone earlier mentioned thermography which is an interesting technology with a lot of promise for the future but, as it stands now, it is highly inaccurate compared to a mammogram leading to some false positives and panic but worse, leading to false negatives and false security while a cancer grows.

I had no symptoms, nothing visible or palpable and absolutely zero family history but the minute I got diagnosed my sister (3 years older than me) who had been putting off getting a mammogram certainly got it in gear and got to the doctor. She's fine thankfully.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    My wife's sister, who is 72 just recently, had a mammogram and it came back fine. However since two of her other sisters died from breast cancer the doctor, ordered an MRI. The MRI discovered a small lump. There was a biopsy done and it came back as cancer. The Doctor, just today said that she would just remove the lump but strongly advises my wife's sister to get both breasts removed based on family history.

My wife is 57.

Just reporting what I heard.

t2t

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    My wife's sister, who is 72 just recently, had a mammogram and it came back fine. However since two of her other sisters died from breast cancer the doctor, ordered an MRI. The MRI discovered a small lump. There was a biopsy done and it came back as cancer. The Doctor, just today said that she would just remove the lump but strongly advises my wife's sister to get both breasts removed based on family history.

My wife is 57.
    Just reporting what I heard.
    t2t
    An MRI is even more accurate than a mammogram. It's a more expensive machine and a much longer more involved and more uncomfortable procedure so it is only recommended in cases like this with a strong family history.

Advice to get a mastectomy to prevent cancer generally happens only in cases of the BRCA1 mutation being present. This does pose a large risk but prophylactic mastectomy is still a choice and not one to be made lightly. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Thank you Paleobird,

If anyone other than her Doctor of 60 years suggested that Iodine & selenomethionine might help her, even tiny doses she would probably stop eating salt with its tad of iodine. (being serious)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    Thank you Paleobird,

If anyone other than her Doctor of 60 years suggested that Iodine & selenomethionine might help her, even tiny doses she would probably stop eating salt with its tad of iodine. (being serious)
    The BRCA1 mutation causes a highly aggressive form of cancer that can easily elude lumpectomy and spread very quickly. I suggest both your wife and her sister read up on this to be able to make informed choices.

The kinds of breast cancer that Grizz was talking about iodine "curing" (as erroneous as that was) were DCIS and LCIS, Ductal and Lobular Carcinoma in Situ. These types of cancer are pussycats compared to the lion that is a BRCA1 mutated cancer. Iodine, in the amount your body needs, is a good part of overall health but, please, don't rely solely on it to stop a BRCA1 tumor. That would be like sword fighting a hydra with a feather.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Again... Thank you Paleobird,

I'll try to find out what kind it is. Her Internal Doctor is 92 or 93 and still practicing. (Hey. Maybe his opinion might deserve attention

But. What I was trying to say is that if Iodine in her case could save her, she is so headstrong that NO one, other than her Internal Doctor would she dare listen to. I'll keep you all informed...

t2t

Paleobird Guest
    *sigh*

Iodine. Does. Not. Cure. Cancer.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'd like to jump in and say that cystic ovaries are just one of many and varied symptoms. women diagnosed with pcos won't even necessarily have cysts of any kind. i don't have cysts of any kind, which is why iodine hasn't 'healed' my pcos

pcos is an insulin based disorder
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Bloodorchid,
    Have you had a chance to get an MRI? I know they are very expensive.

When I paint 200 to 300 Milligrams of Iodine on my daughter’s back I have to give her much less insulin.
    For instance when I checked her blood last night it was a little high at 156. (she sneaks food at times) So I gave her 11 and a half units, of the 24 hour insulin LANTUS. I normally give her 13 units. I didn’t give her any NOVALOG the 2 hour insulin as usually I would have given her at least 1 whole unit of the NOVALOG with the 13 units of the LANTUS.
    She was extra active yesterday also so I didn’t give her the D3. I would have had to of reduced her insulin even more if I would have given her even 5000 IU’s of D3.

Both she and my wife had HYPOthyroid several months ago. They both were on 5000 IU’s of D3 at the time and both were taking up to 5 MILLIgrams of K2. My daughter’s TSH from the pituitary gland was over 4. My wife’s was over 5.
    So I started painting 200 to 300 MILLIgrams of iodine on both of them. That’s roughly 24 to 34 MILLIgrams of iodine absorbed into the bloodstream. Had both of them taking 200 MICROgrams of SeMC selenium also. ( I cannot stress the need for selenomethionine or SeMC enough while taking Iodine) No other cofactors were being taken. I talked our Doctor into rechecking both of their TSH’s a little over eight weeks later.

My wife’s ad Daughter’s TSH’s were 1.31 and 1.41 as best as I can remember. However their body temperature was 96.1 and 97.2 respectively too. So I got the Doctor to give them each 30 MILLIgrams of Armour and both of their body temperatures’ have risen up to 98.4 when checked in the morning before they both get out of bed.

I was HYPERthyroid a few years ago. So I started taking over 100 milligrams of iodine with 200 MICROgrams of selenomethionine. ( I take 200 mcg’s of SeMC now too). Three months later my TSH went from below .30 up to 1.37.
    1.37 is where I felt my best. And it has stayed close to 1.37 for almost 5 years of taking over 100 MILLIgrams of iodine internally with 200 mcg’s of selenomethionine.

I am not saying that anyone on this board take any amount of iodine or any selenomethionine. I am just saying what Iodine and selenomethionine (now SeMC has done for my family and me.) And 30 mg’s of Armour for my wife and daughter. And of course D3 and K2 mk4 with iodine has caused my wife to lose over 30 lbs in 8 weeks and my daughter and I to lose over 16 lbs. Actually I have lost over 25 lbs total after I upped my D3 intake from 2000 IU’s to 10,000 IU’s like my wife takes each and every night t bedtime. And we all take 1 mg’s of K2 mk4 three times a day with 1 teaspoon of coconut or olive oil. (I am taking 3 tablespoons instead of teaspoons temporarily to see if it will raise my HDL above 30) on my next blood test.

P.S. The higher amounts of D3 have already dropped my A1C to 6.1. I had already stopped taking metformin several weeks before that blood test was conducted.

My A1C should be in the mid 5 range my next blood test visit.

Good wishes, always

t2t

Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast