Page 14 of 91 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate page 14

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That was a pretty pointless distinction unless you were just making a joke. (?) Without the mammogram I would not have had the
    information needed to start treatment in time to save my life.
    :

Sorry I'm back so late, but that 2-day vacation was nice.;-) If I ever had reason to suspect I might have a malignant growth, I would never take a mammogram, since mammograms themselves have been contributors to breast cancers. Instead, I would get thermography, which is every bit as good at DIAGNOSING problems, which still require followup with mri's or x-rays. It's what happens after the tentative diagnosis that determines the outcome.

But I do agree that some deficiencies are great enough to warrant supplementation, preferably just until it is cleared up. E.g. I took supplements after chemo but I don't need them now.
    That's how I feel about taking iodine. Clean out the receptors with as large dose of iodine as needed (within detox tolerances), then drop back to a maintenance dose.-, probably about 12.5 mg.
    Last edited by Paysan; 08-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    If you've posted a link to the research that came up with 13.8mg, I'll apologise & ask you to post it again as I didn't see it.
    I'm back from holidays now. Here's the link. Please note that they are measuring current Japanese intakes, but acknowledge that Japanese a couple generations ago ate far more kombu, which is 4 times the iodine content. Enjoy.

Thyroid Research | Full text | Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    That's how I feel about taking iodine. Clean out the receptors with as large dose of iodine as needed (within detox tolerances), then drop back to a maintenance dose.-, probably about 12.5 mg.
    Paysan, please go back and edit your post. You put your own words in my quote box. Sort out who said what. Thanks.

Grizz, I hope you realize that flooding the thyroid with iodine during a nuclear emergency is limited to about 3 days (provided the emergency isn't ongoing ) is far different from megadosing iodine for weeks and months. FWIW, Canadians could not purchase those mega doses when Fukushima first happened. Still can't, AFAIK.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    I'm back from holidays now. Here's the link. Please note that they are measuring current Japanese intakes, but acknowledge that Japanese a couple generations ago ate far more kombu, which is 4 times the iodine content. Enjoy.

Thyroid Research | Full text | Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis
    That's the link I originally posted in the other thread. It's obviously nothing to do with the study that came up with the mythical 13.8mg, if only because it was done last year. Did you check the "sources that use ambiguous data to approximate intake" references? There's those two names again - Abraham & Brownstein. There's a bit of a pattern emerging here...

If the conclusion you come to from that document is that the 13.8mg figure is correct, I'll just assume we speak different languages. It seems pretty scathing of Abraham's/Brownstein's assumptions to me.

Oh, the drama! The evil doctors! The innocent Victim! The despair! The CURE! The joy!

heeeeee's baaaaaaack!

But seriously, I never once said on this thread or the other that FBD did not respond well to iodine. I have never had FBD. I wouldn't know. I am happy for anyone who finds health. I just think that Grizz takes a positive thing, one that could help a lot of people and, by over-hyping it and making sweeping statements that are totally unfounded factually (e.g. the cancer "cure" stuff) makes the whole idea look like lunacy.
    Hyperbole has an unfortunate effect on those who consider themselves rational and logical human beings. It makes them even more skeptical than was their wont. As a skeptic, I prefer to not be swayed by passion and zeal. But by the same token, neither do I automatically discard every passionate offering as being woo woo. If it sounds reasonable in its basic premise, and I see supporting as well as anecdotal evidence, I am more apt to pursue it further. I leave the namecalling to other passionate people.

Seriously, does anyone really believe that any doctor would say in so many words, "Learn to live with your breasts or cut them off"? ...
    I do. Doctors are people, and when frustrated by patients that they have been unable to help, are apt to blurt out inappropriate responses. It tends to empty their examining room faster.
    Last edited by Paysan; 08-06-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Paysan, please go back and edit your post. You put your own words in my quote box. Sort out who said what. Thanks.
    Sorry, Paleobird, but I haven't figured out the whole quote thingie, and apologised in a previous message. Maybe some kind soul will take pity on me and teach me how.

Paleobird Guest
    Sorry, Paleobird, but I haven't figured out the whole quote thingie, and apologised in a previous message. Maybe some kind soul will take pity on me and teach me how.
    It's the little things that say "QUOTE" and "/QUOTE" inside brackets. One marks the start of quoted matter, the other the end. You can type those in and move them around (complete with their brackets or it won't work).

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    That's the link I originally posted in the other thread. It's obviously nothing to do with the study that came up with the mythical 13.8mg, if only because it was done last year. Did you check the "sources that use ambiguous data to approximate intake" references? There's those two names again - Abraham & Brownstein. There's a bit of a pattern emerging here...

If the conclusion you come to from that document is that the 13.8mg figure is correct, I'll just assume we speak different languages. It seems pretty scathing of Abraham's/Brownstein's assumptions to me.
    I didn't remember who posted that article, but when offered as research, I looked it up. If that was you, my thanks. I was merely pointing out that, after reading the article, they were comparing apples with oranges. Overall, the amounts of seaweeds didn't vary all that much, but as the literature miners acknowledged ,"Japanese iodine intake from edible seaweeds is amongst the highest in the world. Predicting the type and amount of seaweed the Japanese consume is difficult due to day-to-day meal variation and dietary differences between generations and regions. In addition, iodine content varies considerably between seaweed species," and "By combining information from dietary records, food surveys, urine iodine analysis (both spot and 24-hour samples) and seaweed iodine content, we estimate that the Japanese iodine intake--largely from seaweeds--averages 1,000-3,000 μg/day (1-3 mg/day). "

But here's the kicker - "As the Japanese transitioned from a traditional to a Westernized diet, beginning around the 1950's [20], consumption of certain seaweed species declined while others increased. A decrease in kombu consumption (844 to 685 g/year per household) and an increase in wakame consumption (727 to 1234 g/year per household) can be seen between the years of 1963 and 1973 [21]. Consumption of kombu per Japanese household dropped further to 450 g in 2006 (elders ate up to four times more than those under the age of 29. "
    So, depending when that estimate first surfaced, depending on theirage and the availability of seaweeds especially kombu, the original estimates may very well have been correct AT THE TIME. Current figures are only estimates and based entirely on averages. So, apparently, you can select any figure between 3.0 and 13.8 , and for some parts of the Japanese population, you'd be correct.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's the little things that say "QUOTE" and "/QUOTE" inside brackets. One marks the start of quoted matter, the other the end. You can type those in and move them around (complete with their brackets or it won't work).
    Like this? [QUOTE... the other the end. You can type those in...[/QUOTE] Didn't work.

I guess I need practice. Thanks, Paleobird. I'll try some more later.
    Last edited by Paysan; 08-05-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Page 14 of 91 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast