Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help.. page

ryan54 is offline Member

Need help..

Shop Now
    Hello all. I got started on the paleo diet about a year ago, and reaped the benefits. I looked, and felt, the best I ever have. I would eat a lot of turkey burgers, fish, and chicken. I loved to cook, and still do.

Lately I've really struggled. I've realized that fish is the only food that really makes me feel good, along with green vegetables. If I eat anything else, I seem to get very tired. I take a nap, wake up and begin to crave fruit, sugar, dairy and grains. I feel like crap, and look like crap. The thing is that I like fish, but I don't love it. I'm in need of some new recipes and am hoping you all can help.

The main problem is that the list of foods I can eat is diminishing by the day, it seems. I've temporarily lost my creativity in the kitchen. Here are some of the foods I cannot eat:

Grains
    Dairy
    Eggs
    Avocados
    Nightshades
    Starches
    Vinegar
    Cauliflower
    Bacon (any pork)

If anyone can help me out with some recipes for fish, or lean meat, that would be great. Thank you.
    Last edited by ryan54; 07-31-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Kristy2078 Guest
    You really should get some bloodwork done with a doctor. You could be feeling better with fish because of vitamin D, and there could be something else that's bogging you down.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Thanks, but it is not blood related. In the back of my head I've known that a diet of mainly seafood was the best for me for a while. I'm just having trouble fully diving in and finding foods that I enjoy.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    It seems like you have trouble with classic inflammatory foods, in fact, it seems you have trouble with most of the foods that celiacs, like me, have trouble digesting. I do hope you get tested for celiac.

KKDMB is offline Member
    If the OP has been off grains for a while he may test negative for celiac's regardless of his true status. It does sound strange, and I'm curious as to how you know that you do better on a seafood diet. While I'm not doubting the possibility, I just want to know how its possible to come to that conclusion I love fish.

I don't know what kind of recipes you do but with salmon I adore salmon bacon - throw the fillet on a hot skillet skin-side down with your fat and seasonings of choice, cook 2-3 mins, slip the skin off and continue to fry it while cooking the fillet as you like. I learned that from MDA so that might be an old one but hey, I love it. I also like tilapia pan seared in butter, lemon juice, and garlic. Or a butter-white wine garlic and onion reduction is really easy and lends a wonderful flavor to fish. The white wine and butter combo is also great for mussels, as I recently discovered. With some caramelized red onions. Mmmm... Sorry, I'm no good for most shellfish recipes, although on thefoodee.com (great paleo recipe site) they have some awesome recipes for fish stews on there that I really want to try, some of which don't have nightshades, as I'm currently off them also. Aaaand sorry I don't have more. I like salmon with either a plain salt/pepper/garlic/onion combo, before my no-nightshades I would toss some cayenne and paprika on there if I wanted spicy, or salt and fresh dill, or a dried sweet herb mixture, like lemongrass, sweet basil, etc. My rotations are pretty basic and probably boring but... eh.

P.S. - Rasputina, I have celiac's as well and have recently decided/discovered that asparagus does horrible things to my stomach. Do you (or the OP) have this issue as well?
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    Hello all. I got started on the paleo diet about a year ago, and reaped the benefits. I looked, and felt, the best I ever have. I would eat a lot of turkey burgers, fish, and chicken. I loved to cook, and still do.

Lately I've really struggled. I've realized that fish is the only food that really makes me feel good, along with green vegetables. If I eat anything else, I seem to get very tired. I take a nap, wake up and begin to crave fruit, sugar, dairy and grains. I feel like crap, and look like crap. The thing is that I like fish, but I don't love it. I'm in need of some new recipes and am hoping you all can help.

The main problem is that the list of foods I can eat is diminishing by the day, it seems. I've temporarily lost my creativity in the kitchen. Here are some of the foods I cannot eat:

Grains
    Dairy
    Eggs
    Avocados
    Nightshades
    Starches
    Vinegar
    Cauliflower
    Bacon (any pork)

If anyone can help me out with some recipes for fish, or lean meat, that would be great. Thank you.
    IF it's not celiacs or other medical issue: The only thing that stood out is your meats listed are on the lean side (some types of fish aside). What are your sources of fat currently? If I don't get enough fat, I tend to feel sluggish and tired. Can you give us a idea of what you eat in a given day and how it's spread out throughout the day? Have you been tested to see if it's a medical issue?
    Last edited by Metric; 07-31-2012 at 08:38 PM.

ryan54 is offline Member
    KKDMB - Salmon bacon? That sounds absolutely delicious. I don't quite understand how to prepare it though. Could you explain more?

As far as seafood good, I just go by how I feel. I feel great after a seafood-based meal. When I was feeling at my best a few months ago, I was eating the most seafood I ever have. I would have turkey burgers as well, but only at night. I knew that it made me tired. I haven't had turkey in a while since I ditched tomatoes and can't see myself eating them without some type of condiment. When I have any type of meat now I get tired as well, just a lot quicker. It has intensified.

Metric - I had thought about it from not getting enough fat, but I don't think that's it. Recently I've made grass-fed beef burgers cooked in beef fat, and felt like knocking out afterwards. It sounds odd, I know. My diet recently has been all over the place.

KKDMB is offline Member
    Wow - cool deal on the seafood. So salmon bacon! Heck yeah, it's my new favorite. I used to think the salmon skin was nasty, but good for cooking with since it kept the fillet moist. Now it's my favorite part!

Directions:

1. Heat skillet + fat of choice over med/med-high heat. If its a non-stick pan and you're looking to lean out, a teaspoon or two of oil does the trick. If you're in Primal fat-happy mode (we're all there at some point!) and you're happy with your body comp just coat the bottom of the pan - 1-3 tablespoons. I use coconut oil, butter, tallow, lard, or some mix of the four.

2. Toss some seasonings (I'm off nightshades as an experiment at the moment but I used to add paprika and cayenne to this) - salt, garlic, onion powder, fresh black pepper...whatever rocks your socks - into the skillet or just season the skin-side of the fillet as well as your fillet.

3. Smack that fillet into the skillet skin-side down! Well, don't smack, you might get oil burns. But yeah. Toss that in there. Gently.

4. Listen to the skin sizzle and wipe the drool off your chin for 2-3 minutes.

5. Remove fillet from skillet and, taking a butter knife, gently peel the skin off. The pre-cook you just did while drooling should have made the skin fairly easy to peel off. You'll probably get some holes now and then but that will get better with time. Keep skillet and fat on the stove and hot.

6. *Two steps in one direction... can you handle the pressure?!* Take skinless salmon fillet and toss it in the oven at 350 for 7-9 minutes, or broil it, or continue to pan fry it, grill it, or however you like to cook it. Your choice. Take the skin you peeled off and toss it back into the skillet. Crisp up skin in the fat - also known as, in the elite culinary circles, "frying", (add seasonings to the peeled skin that was previously attached to flesh if you're like me and like seasonings on both sides of the skin) while your fillet is cooking.

7. BAM. Salmon bacon.

8. Nom the crap out of it and thank your lucky stars for KKDMB

Aaaaand sorry I'm being goofy. I'm getting ready for a weight-lifting session and I'm all antsy in my pantsy. Enjoy!
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Will try that now.. thanks!

ryan54 is offline Member
    Tasted delicious, by the way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast