Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! School starts tomorrow, WHAT do I put in my son's lunchbox?!?! page

MegDallas is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Help! School starts tomorrow, WHAT do I put in my son's lunchbox?!?!

We just saw the light and became Primal on June 17th... Now I'm standing here, blanking out completely on what in the heck I need to for the lunch box on my son's first day of middle school tomorrow! Thinking back to last school-year makes me cringe (before we were enlightened) and I'm realizing I have been so focused on eating and cooking everything at home the RIGHT WAY, that I have no idea where to begin with easy, portable, cold lunchbox food! I'm sure most of you pros have this figured out already... Any suggestions to help ease my last-minute panic attack, here?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    A thermos works great for packing leftovers/soups. More portable ideas include: yogurt, hard boiled eggs, avocado, fruit, beef jerky, nuts, salads, cut up veggies w/yogurt dip, cheese, dark chocolate.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Scotch eggs. Traditionally, made with sausage but I think any ground meat would work. I bake mine at 375 for 35-40 min. Oh~ and I skip the flour/breading too!

ETA~ very basic recipe~ the one I use except for the egg/milk/flour~ http://www.hookerycookery.com/picnic013.htm
    Last edited by Nady; 07-31-2012 at 05:21 PM.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    In my daughter's lunch for daycare I usually pack 3 different servings of fruit, veggies, gluten free crackers and a warm up that rotates between cheese bread (gluten free bread), white rice, or steel cut oatmeal.

If your son eats meat then you are laughin' and the above suggestions are awesome. My 3yr old is a self made lacto-vegetarian. If she had her way she'd eat buns/bread products until the cows came home. This is my compromise

I just thought I'd put in my two cents for any other parents reading this and having a hard time with the transition. I'm kind of following WAPF for her. And believe me, it's been a load of my shoulders to do so.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    How about some chicken tenders (the non-breaded kind, of course) that you can cook up tonight. Those are good cold as finger food. Pair that with some veggies and some fruit. Jicama is a good one for lunch boxes, too.

Or you could do little mini meatballs that also would work well cold. Spice it up with italian type seasonings and pair it with some tomato and mozzarella (if you're still eating cheese, that is) and you've got cold pizza...sort of.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I vote for anything in a thermos like soup, chili, etc. They are all very quick and easy to make and they stay warm. Do you have a thermos?

A sandwich like the rest of the kids or at least some rice cakes.

Sooze is offline Member
    This won't help you tonight, but I am ordering this from Amazon:
    Amazon.com: PlanetBox Lunchbox - Red Carry Bag with Wheelies Magnets - Waste Free Metal Lunchbox -: Home & Kitchen

My son (6 yr old) loves the look of it and has trolled through some bento box lunch pics with me, pointing out the food he likes the look of.

We are going to pack deli meat & cheese rollups, leftover chicken/pork/beef to dip in ketchup, summer sausage or pepperoni, hot dogs wrapped in foil to dip in ketchup & mustard, and whatever else I can think of in the meat dept to entice him. He likes slices or blocks of cheese, fruits, cashews and peanuts (yeah, I know.) raisins, will eat salad sometimes, applesauce, thinly sliced carrots - sticks, not chunks (so specific!).. I told him I would let him try hard boiled eggs this week. He liked them last year but we're giving it a trial before school to know if they're safe. Um, what else.. I told him I will bake him some pumpkin or blueberry muffins once a week to take some days.

This is a kid who ate school lunch every day last year OR took a pb&j. He has changed so much since my going Primal last november. I haven't forced him, and he still eats a fair share of cereal and crackers. But the more he sees me eating the way I do, he asks questions and I always just tell him bread/crackers/etc makes me feel tired and no energy. He's big on "being strong and energetic" because he watched an episode of Word Girl last year that talked about sugar taking away your energy. So it helps him to understand. Off topic, I know, but I just wanted to say that our transition has been done slowly and now I'm at the point where he's completely on board with Primal lunches. So proud of him.

anyway- good luck!! hope you get some good lunch ideas for tomorrow!

MegDallas is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all so much! These are all great replies and definitely the kick-start I needed to get my brain working in the right direction! We actually don't own a single thermos (I mean-why would we with turkey sandwiches and pb&j being all the fave last year?:-) so I am off to WalMart (cringe) to get one since it seems it will now be very handy! My son does eat meat, but no processed/packaged ANYTHING. It seems the additives, chemicals, dyes, etc are what seem to cause his ADHD symptoms. And the starch seems to make him zoned out (unless he's getting lots of physical activity). All fresh and made from scratch means no Adderrall for him!

Thanks for pitching in when I had my total brain fart picturing last year's lunches of all the wonderful SAD kid favorites! You all rock!

Thanks, Megan

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For breakfast, I often roll deli-meat up with some sliced cheese. This could work for lunch too. Add in some lettuce in the middle or some cilantro/garlic/mayo and it'll be gourmet.

Edit: Ooops! just read your ADHD, processed chemical comment. So scratch my idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast