Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition for muscle gain page

mgage is offline Junior Member

Nutrition for muscle gain

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

If I understand Mark's post on gaining weight and increasing muscle correctly, it sounds like I should still roughly maintain my current macronutrient levels. Right now, I'm getting about 50% or so of my calories from fat, around 20% or less from carbs, and 30-35% from protein. However, that is on a calorie deficit so it works out to something like 85g of fat, 70g of carbs, and 95-100g of protein on a normal day. I've been doing that for a few months and have had great weight loss success. However, I've decided to pack ona few pounds of muscle, and then go back to the calorie deficit. My goal is more body fat % than end weight and I've heard it might behoove me to add the weight now before I get all the way down.

So, the situation now is that I figure I need to eat around 3,200 cals a day and I should take in around 200g or so of protein. That leaves me eating around 195g of fat and 165g of carbs if I kept roughly the same macros. Is that right? It just worries me that it's high carb and high fat. I know I could drop the fat, but I'm worried about eating enough if I do that. I'm really satisfied now at 1300-1400 cals and am really not sure how I will eat 3200 (or afford it).

Thanks for the help.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Holy cow, that some serious jump in calories. Before you do anything this extreme, I would just go with 1.5 g of protein per lb of body weight, and let the other two macros to fall to 20% fat on lifting days (and the rest in carbs) and 40-60% on non-lifting days (and low carb). Bulking up from higher body weight, watch your muscle to fat gaining ratio. If you are gaining >25% of your bulk in fat, I'd suggest cutting super low first, then bulking up from that ultra-lean state.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

mgage is offline Junior Member
    With my schedule, I'm thinking I would have to lift in the evening. So, would I amend that to say that I should eat higher carb and lower fat the 24 hours after lifting. Then higher fat/lower carb until my next lift, and so on? Do I need the carbs the morning before I lift, for example?

Hypothetically, I would work out Tue/Thu/Sun. So, Sunday evening and Monday morning and afternoon would be with the higher carb concentration and lower fat. Then, Tuesday morning and afternoon would be more normal paleo (but still fairly high calorie). Is that the right way to go?

You would want ~ 30 g carbs and 15 g protein ~ 1 hr before workout, and the bulk of your carbs within 24-36 hrs after training, starting with a large meal with the starches after workout (your supper), and slowly going towards more fibre-rich carbs as you reefed (the day after lifting). So, with your schedule a large meal of say rice or boiled potatoes after workout with lean protein, then a carby breakfast (sweet potato; banana), then fruit/high fibre veggies for lunch, then normal meal (or skip) for supper).

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I'm in losing weight mode and am also doing HIT rowing and Body by Science strength training. As I am increasing weight or reps each BbS session, I do not understand why there is a need for any "special food" to increase muscle mass.

Am I unique, thick, doing something wrong?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    are you a male or female? age, height, weight, bodyfat percentage? current exercise routine?

the way it looks, you're pretty much intending on doubling your intake. seems unnecessary. most lifters trying to add some muscle mass start with roughly a 500 calorie increase, then tailor their needs from there. where are you getting your info?

As I am increasing weight or reps each BbS session, I do not understand why there is a need for any "special food" to increase muscle mass.
    Beginner's linear gains do not last forever; your starting point in terms of fat % will determine how long you can improve strength on def. if you are in a deficit, it is easy to lose muscle mass, in fact unless you are a genetic wonder, you eventually will. Food helps to minimize muscle mass at deficit and promotes muscle gain (and minimizes fat gain) at maintenance or bulk.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.

stumprrp is offline Member
    eat massive amounts of good quality food, theres nothing else to it. you really shouldnt care about timing unless you want to cut which i feel is more vital then bulking. your going to gain some fat, its impossible not to.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Beginner's linear gains do not last forever; your starting point in terms of fat % will determine how long you can improve strength on def. if you are in a deficit, it is easy to lose muscle mass, in fact unless you are a genetic wonder, you eventually will. Food helps to minimize muscle mass at deficit and promotes muscle gain (and minimizes fat gain) at maintenance or bulk.
    I understand that I will reach a point where I need food to keep improving as I will have used up the blubber I "enjoy" at present.

My point, is that I do not see why a person eating decent food needs anything else. If one is burning fat and has some in the body, why is it necessary to take in carbs (or other foodstuffs/supplements) before/after a workout?

Do carbs build muscle faster than primal food?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

No, but specific ratios/quantities promote chemical responses that lead to growing more muscle and burning more fat. Carbs are perfectly primal. The optimal combination of nutrition and fitness program gives one the optimal result, while an average program gives average result. If you are not genetically gifted, results may be insignificant for body recomposition and strength gains should you get things wrong. Growing muscle and losing fat is not a natural, evolutionary advantageous process, it has to be stimulated.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-02-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast