Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods / snacks for truck driver page

Coll is offline Senior Member

Foods / snacks for truck driver

Shop Now
    I have a friend who is a truck driver and really needs ideas for snacks that will be ok with long drives and yet still sustaining. Also what can he use for keeping awake - coffee does not agree with him at all.... he works really strange shifts and has a hard time keeping awake at times. Ideas anyone?
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Are you looking for snacks that are more portable and won't spoil, or are you looking for snacks that don't require a knife and fork so they can be eaten on the road?

Personally, I like canned fish and beef jerky. I buy the low sodium canned fish which only has tuna and water(no added "stuff"). I also make my own beef jerky. It's actually pretty easy. I think Mark has a recipe somewhere on this site.

Also, canned vegetables won't go bad on you. There are varieties that only include vegetables and water. That way, you won't get any added chemicals.

For hands free snacking, I would suggest fruit or even cut up vegetables. I'm starting to see more and more gas stations carry little snack packs of fruit and vegetables. If you tolerate dairy, string cheese and wedge cheese can also be a good option which doesn't require a knife and fork.

I'm not sure if I know of anything that could help keep one awake besides for coffee. Getting a good nights sleep and eating proper food is the best way. But if you're getting sluggish on the road, then perhaps the fruit I mentioned might give you an extra "boost"? What about coconut water?

Thanks Teresa, I guess it would be both stuff that won't spoil and that doesn't require stopping or hands off the wheel to eat. I hadn't thought of the canned fish - not sure if he is a fish eater, will mention it to his wife... I know she hates fish Beef jerky is a good idea and I know he'd like it for sure. Will have to look for the recipe on here. He gets the best sleep he can, but his sleep time is different every day and his system can never adjust. My thought of the fruit is that he may have a down time after the sugar boost? I know his wife makes pepitas for him to nibble on, and he has fruit and veggies usually. Just could do with something that provides some variety and hopefully good fuel that will not mess with his 'awakeness'.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My last big move was about 2200 miles and I lived out of a big cooler for the entire trip, replenishing the ice at the motels every night. Jerky, cheese, veggies, fruit. It was pretty awesome not to have to be a slave to road food.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Jerky, boiled eggs, nuts and sturdy chopped veggies, like peas, carrots, cabbage and celery.

For staying awake, try hot broth with a touch of spice in a thermos.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    How about tea. I make big batches of iced tea to drink on my commute. I put it in a metal water bottle.

Thanks everyone, I will pass on the ideas and we'll see what pans out ...

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Another thing that I forgot is Pork Rinds. I buy the plain non flavored pork rinds in a store, which only contain pork skin and salt. And they're pretty cheap! I've seen most gas stations carry these as well.

Oh Theresa! That just made me giggle for some reason. My friend is just starting to come around to primal thinking and I can just picture her reaction to the pork rinds lol!! Might have to pick her up off the floor! Her DH (the truck driver) loves meat and fat, but they have been vegetarian etc for years and she bakes loads of homemade bread all the time... big adjustment time for her especially.

romech1 is offline Junior Member
    My brother is also a truck driver. He started primal in Feb of this year and has lost down from 250 to 206. He takes out the blueberry balls from Marks "Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals", substituting different berries, nuts, and dried cherries/cranberries for his primary carb.

Boiled eggs and bacon.

He also cooks a stew with 2 - 3 lbs of beef, a package of dried ranch dressing seasoning, a stick of butter, and a jar of peppercinis (sp?), a cup of beef stock, and sometimes some canned roasted tomatoes.

He says that he initially thought that he would tire of the same thing over and over, but has not as of yet. I sure he takes some other things, but these are his go-to's.

He said that the biggest hassle is that he has to prepare it all his first day home as he only back for a couple of days at a time. His dispatcher and some of the other truckers are starting to inquire about his eating habits and weight loss.

Oh, he also told me that he didn't think he would ever be able to make it without the 5 hour energy drinks, and red lines (not sure if that's right, it's the higher energy 5 hours). He also takes protein drink items to have with coconut milk or half & half. He has a set of bodylastic bands to workout with on the road or just does a quick primal movement workout.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps.

Dave
    Last edited by romech1; 08-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast