Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: potassium page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all,

I'm not feeling so great lately. I'm quite tired, groggy, cloudy-headed, and moody, and I' struggling to not gain weight. There could be a number of reasons for this, but I thought I'd consider my nutrition. FitDay says I'm consistently low on potassium. How about it? How much do we actually following PB?

rykabeth is offline Junior Member

How about magnesium? the two are related and need each other. I had similar symptoms last year and tried a magnesium sup. and felt a lot better

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I second magnesium, as there are a lot of things that exacerbate magnesium shortage and the recommended 400mg is too little in my opinion. I find it very hard to get enough magnesium from the food that I eat and usually fall short if I don't take magnesium supplements.

Complete nutrition! It's as important as macronutrient ratio. Grok's food had a lot more nutrients of all kinds and while animal products are good for vitamins, protein and a few minerals like selenium and zinc, I constantly fall short of my targets without supplements. Hemp seeds have helped with some of that but they are a bit expensive so I'm more inclined to supplement.

And yes potassium is important too.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Whoops! There we go! I meant to ask "how much do we actually need following PB?"

That's a good point about magnesium. I am also consistently low in it, but I take a calcium/magnesium supplement. That said, I never know just how well supplements are absorbed in my body. I'd rather get all my essentials from food...

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Wouldn't we all, but then that begs the question of "how!?"

Is your calcium/magnesium 1:1? Calcium blocks magnesium absorption and so I generally like to take my calcium/magnesium as 1:1 and then take a few magnesium at other times. Total calcium from both food and supplements is about 1000mg and total magnesium is about 700mg. I understand the disdain for supplements but when I added the magnesium supplements I had a dramatic improvement in mood and so I think that speaks to their efficacy.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Aha, okay I'll pick up some extra magnesium and potassium tomorrow. I'm not sure, but maybe it's available in raw organ meats and brains, but I'm just not ready for that yet! I'll try to remember to report back on the results.

;-)

teamommy is offline Member

I am also chronically low in potassium (lab reports)and I take a suppliment every day. When I miss my suppliment my legs begin to ache. I also take magnesium. I just take the daily recommended dose.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

what kinda potassium do yall take? alway always very short on potassium and i get KILLER toe cramps too

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

oh...or any good sources of potassium?? i like to get it thru food but i dont know many that would get me enough!

Aha, so then low potassium might also explain my aches and pains too! Thanks teamommy. I hope this is it for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast