I've learned the hard way that when on a Primal-style eating plan, it's important to load up your food with salt. A diet of meat and vegetables without refined sugar is rough on your thyroid, at least for me. I still would eat considerable amounts of starch, but still I would get cold after meals. I was suspecting my thyroid was slowly dropping. Lots of salt and swapping out fat and starch for fruit has REALLY helped. I've been coating my foods heavily with Himalayan sea salt and it's made a big difference! I am so much warmer than I was. I feel like I've had a huge metabolic boost, and I've discovered something awesome - salted watermelon. Watermelon coated in salt is awesome. I salt all my foods when I take them to work, THEN I coat them in iodized table salt. Good thing I like salt because I'm eating a lot of it...

I got this idea from Ray Peat months ago. He doesn't like prolonged low carbohydrate diets because they severely downregulate your thyroid, and starch apparently doesn't do much to boost thyroid. Fruit sugar (fructose), on the other hand, does wonders. So does salt. Guess what? It's working for me. There is some noticeable water retention but whatever. The heat isn't getting me at all this year even though it's hotter than any year on record. Perhaps the sodium is keeping me better hydrated.