Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB JOURNAL ~ Winterzodiac ~ Carpe Diem! page

winterzodiac is offline Junior Member

PB JOURNAL ~ Winterzodiac ~ Carpe Diem!

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I am starting this journal to keep track of my path to a healthier lifestyle. I will record my triumphs, my failures, my concerns and frustrations. This log exists to hold myself accountable for the changes in my diet and fitness, and hopefully keep me on track.

Name: winterzodiac or Shelly
    Starting date 7/31/12
    Stats: F, 31, 5’ 2”, 155lbs

Diet/Weight history:
    TEENS:
    Starting gaining weight at age 14. Prior to that, I was neither skinny nor overweight, though my build is probably naturally a little “thicker”, I remember noticing as a pre-teen/early teenager that my legs/butt did not look the same in stretch pants or in a swimsuit as most girls. But rather stuck out like stumps, not thin and slender. My mother was always yo-yo dieting, gaining and losing weight. So when I noticed that I started gaining weight at 14, I knew automatically to watch what I ate and start exercising. I began doing workout dvds several times a week, and ate a CW diet of high carb, low to no fat and reduced calories. My family was by no means wealthy, but I of course insisted on spending tons of $ of fat free muffins, cakes, drinks, ice cream, etc. I learned that potatoes have NO FAT and throughout high school made baked French fries and baked potatoes my standard dinner for years, and frequent lunch meal too. At the time, I had no idea why I kept gaining weight, which led to lots of self-hatred, depression and even bouts with eating disorders. Through high school I stayed probably between a size 12-14.

COLLEGE/AFTER: At college, I stepped up my dieting and exercise and still did not lose weight. I somehow got introduced to Atkins, and while it did not work for me at all (I was throwing ketchup on everything) it planted the seed of low-carb dieting. During the last two years of college and my first year after graduation, I managed to get down to a size 6/8. This was due to the use of ephedra diet products, chronic cardio and lower carb diet. Ephedra was banned, and shortly thereafter, I began having a really stressful career, with no time for proper meals or exercise. I was really unhappy both personally and professional and I lived on fast food, and yo-yoed between 190-220 for years. I think at my heaviest I wore a size 22, and weighed around 230.

PAST YEAR:
    Probably for the last year, I’ve known that a lower carb diet produces results, and have made an effort to limit whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice and potatoes, still eating these items several times a week, but as part of a meal with low fat veggie/meats. I would occasionally indulge in cookies, cakes, ice cream etc., but it was usually a low fat version, and I had eaten well otherwise (so I thought). In the last year, I began walking 2 hrs/day and followed this lower carb, low fat diet. I managed to get my weight down to 150/160, but have been stuck here for about 6 months. I learned about the primal/paleo movement a few months ago, and have begun to understand the insulin response more. I had never considered giving up wheat or sugar permanently, I always thought if I ate well most of the time, I could binge on these items. The more I read about paleo, the more I felt processed food were poison and I have decided that this is what I want in my life.

PAST MONTH:
    I have been primal for 3 weeks, starting 7/9/12, until this weekend. During that 3 wk period my weight fluctuated several times, between 151-159. After reading the message boards a bit more, I realized that if I am seeking weight loss, I cannot just eat whatever I want under 50g carbs, and that my body will tell me when its full. I do need to watch my calorie intake. After setting up a fit day account, I was shocked to see that I was eating close to 3000 calories a day, and have been having major issues with portion size. I will now target 1300-1500 calories/day. I will eliminate dairy. I also learned that I personally cannot cook extra to save for lunch the next day or later in the week --- I will eat the extra portions.

This weekend I decided to eat around 150g carbs on Saturday and fast on Sunday. I ate sweet potatoes, apples and bananas. That led me on a crazy 3-day binge of garbage foods from the convenience store – chocolate, cookies, ice cream, candies. I don’t think I am ready physically or emotionally to eat higher carb primal. My hormones are not normal yet. After further research on the boards, I am not lean enough for a carb reefed.

TODAY:
    So starting today, I will began my primal journey again, this time recording and tracking as I go along. I will aim to eat under 50g carbs, all carbs coming from veggies or nuts (for now). I will make a bigger effort to get some higher impact workouts in here and begin some sort of strength training program, not just my daily walking at a slow pace.

GOALS:
    My primary goal is weight loss to be 125 lbs. I want to reduce fatigue and also be healthy and happy long-term, I want all the benefits that come from eating whole foods – though right now this is not my primary goal. I just want to be normal sized!!!

Would like to incorporate IF and carb refeeds in the future. Would like to build muscle.

OBSTACLES:
    Budgetary issues, moved to the Philippines from the US and certain foods are not available, or are very expensive (I miss berries). No food labeling standards, have to be really careful. Grass fed, free range, organic, does not exist. Re-occurring ankle injury prevents exercise at times. I seem to get pneumonia every 2-3 months, and keeps me in bed for weeks at a time.

July 31, 2012
    B: 2 fried eggs, small salad, 6 shrimp
    L: 2 fried eggs, broccoli/cauliflower stir fry, butter
    D: Squid/veggie stirfry
    Snacks: 4 tea, 4 coffee, almond milk
    Exercise: Walk dogs/ stop/start: 1hr

NOTE TO SELF:
    BUY FOOD SCALE!!!
    DRINK LESS COFFEE AND TEA

WATCH PROTEIN PORTIONS - 1lb of squid was over 500 cals!

Since my first post, I have eaten 1/4 cup almonds, 1 can of tuna w/mayo & green onions, 1/2 cup almond milk.

I need to note that when I binge/snack, it is in the evening 7-10pm. I need to break this habit.
    DO NOT BUY LARGE BAGS OF NUTS -- YOU LACK SELF CONTROL AND WILL EAT THEM.

PB JOURNAL ~ Winterzodiac ~ 31F, 5'2" SW:155 ~ Carpe Diem!

I think I will need to change my weight goal. I previously stated that I wished to be 130lbs -- but what does that mean? I could lose fat and/or gain of muscle. In March (pre-primal) I joined the gym for 1 month, worked out everyday including strength training 2x/week, kept to a low carb ,low fat diet and I was expecting to break through my plateau. I was sooooo disappointed when the scale did not budge.

Since I'll be starting weight work again and hop to begin sprints next week, I want to change my goal to being a size 10. I obviously would one day like to be a size 6, and weigh probably 110...but for now I would be really happy at a 10, and not feel like my appearance is hindering my life. I have been largely out of work for 3 years (temp jobs here & there) and I am CERTAIN that going in for interviews in a size 22 suit affected callbacks, when all the other candidates looked so cute & sexy in their suits. Looks do matter - especially in Finance in NYC!

August 1, 2012
    B: 2 fried eggs, veggie stir fry w/ lots of mushrooms
    L: Tuna Fish head soup w/ lots of veggies
    D: Tuna Fish head soup w/ lots of veggies
    snack: 1 boiled egg, 4 cups coffee, 2 cups tea, 1 cup hot water w/100% cacao

Exercise: Walked dogs 1 hr (slow, stop/start pace)
    Walked 2 hrs medium pace
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"
    HW: 230lbs (approx), size 22
    SW Paleo: 155lbs (7/31/12)
    CW: 155 lbs
    GW: 130 lbs/Sz 10 and to fit into a cute Halloween costume this year!

My Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63367.html

I boiled a few eggs to use as snacks the next few days...I took one that mostly came free from its shell, removed the remaining shell, chopped slightly, added a little mayo, S&P, paprika.

WOW!!! I don't think I have ever eaten a boiled egg warm before. AMAZING!! So soft and creamy!!!

I'd like to try making a 4/5 egg salad for breakfast, but can't tomorrow, as I need to cook the tuna filet sitting in the fridge. Then, I already plan on making a big pot of chicken chili for lunch & dinner & beyond. Maybe Friday.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"

My Journal:

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Boiled eggs are my go-to snacks now. I still snack on nuts too, a habit from being a vegan but it is all about progress and tryingto make better choices. I agree that it's easy to overdo it with nuts.

Kudos to you for giving this WOE a go while living abroad.

I'll buy a jar of tahini and start experimenting with recipes next week. Never heard of deserts with tahini before today, and now I'm fantasizing of about some sort of chocolate/tahini flavor profile.

Every week for the past month or so, I have been making a big pot of chili to use over the course of several days. I have made this chili with ground beef and ground pork, canned & fresh tomatoes, and a variety of veggies - whatever I have on hand but always chayote, carrots and bell peppers. Today I made a chicken chili because it is cheaper, but also less calorie dense than the other meats. I have been having a problem with portion control, so I am making an effort to eat more chicken and seafood, so that I can eat a larger volume.

I started by turning the bone-in chicken breasts into ground chicken. While cooking, I kept the breast bones in the pot. When the chili was done the bones pretty much fell apart in the stew. the cartilidge became soft and gelatinous and was a surprise. Otherwise, this chili was not great...probably the worst chili I've ever made. It was just so bland, even after adding all the same spices that I normally use. When it was finished I added more chili and cumin and still blah. I could only tolerate it after covering it with salt, which is not good. Next time I will try 75/25 chicken/beef.

B: Tuna filet, soft egg, asparagus
    L: Chicken Chili w/ 1/2 head lettuce
    D: Chicken Chili over bowl of chayote, celery, green onion salad

Exercise: 45 minutes walking dogs (slow pace)
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"

My Journal:

B: 1 cup chicken chili, 7 shrimp, 1 egg
    L: tuna & corned beef mixed w/chicken chili
    D: entire head lettuce, chicken chili w/ corned beef

snacks: 2 servings cashews, 2 cans diet pepsi, chicharrones

Really bad with the snacking. they were all after 5pm, and the chicharrones were after dinner. I need to make an effort not to even buy those snacks or have them at home. I always buy a few servings to last a whole week, but end up eating everything in a day or two.

Disappointed with the gym I visited today. Cannot afford a monthly membership at any nearby gyms, but the website of this place said you could pay per diem. Very limited weights/ weight machines, only 4/5 people can work out at a time. This gym was more of an aeorbics studio, but I wont pay for that, as I can just walk/jog. It is difficult for me to use free weights, so I was hoping for a lot of the machines, but there were only 2.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"

My Journal:

B: 2 fried eggs over salad
    L: chicken chili over stir fried bok choy & veggies
    D: not sure, maybe just tuna salad

So for breakfast I used bok choy leaves as the lettuce. Yummy. I will be buying more bok choy as it is much less expensive than any lettuce. Lettuce is only available at the supermarket in the imported/foreign foods section. I could buy 2-3 lbs of bok choy for the price of a small romaine lettuce w/ 6/7 leaves. Supermarkets are always more expensive than the many wet/dry markets here in the Philippines, which are basically farmers markets, along with fishmongers and butchers.

May need to consider joining a gym and reducing my food budget if it will be the only way I can do strength/lifting and sprints.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"

My Journal:

B: 2 fried eggs over salad
    L: chicken chili over stir fried bok choy & veggies
    D: not sure, maybe just tuna salad

So for breakfast I used bok choy leaves as the lettuce. Yummy. I will be buying more bok choy as it is much less expensive than any lettuce. Lettuce is only available at the supermarket in the imported/foreign foods section. I could buy 2-3 lbs of bok choy for the price of a small romaine lettuce w/ 6/7 leaves. Supermarkets are always more expensive than the many wet/dry markets here in the Philippines, which are basically farmers markets, along with fishmongers and butchers.

May need to consider joining a gym and reducing my food budget if it will be the only way I can do strength/lifting and sprints.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"

My Journal:

Spent Sat night & Sunday at family's house. I brought my own food but began snacking on the sugary/carb filled fare. Saturday night I ate a banana then an apple with PB after dinner. Sunday I ate a primal breakfast and lunch, then began snacking on more apples, 3 more bananas, finished off the peanut butter. Ate a cup of wasabi crackers, some chocolate corn chips. When I got back to my house Sunday night, I went to the store and bought & ate a small milk chocolate bar, 2 instant cocoa packs filled with sugar and a small pack of oreos.

So I binged this weekend and got off primal, but at least it wasn't the 2 full days. Again, both times my binge eating of carbs/sugars was right before and after dinner. Dinner having no impact in slowing me down. I guess the danger zone seems to be 4pm-9pm, I normally eat around 6:30. I will do some forum searches regarding satiety.

I have a few theories regarding my binging:
    1) I am probably not consuming enough fat, b/c there is the leftover CW telling me to avoid fat (ex. I only use 1 tsp of oil to cook my eggs b/c 1 tbsp is too much fat). The other issue is that I am always hungry, but now that I am using fitday to track my eating, I'm thinking the more oil I use, the less meats & veggies I get to eat. so sometimes I try to eat more protein than fat.
    2) I normally drink tea/water A LOT. Abour 3 weeks ago I stopped drinking after 5/6pm b/c I am sick of waking up to pee 2/3 times a night and the having difficulty falling back asleep. I am not waking up, but I think the water helped keep me feeling full.

I didn't have the hard boiled eggs I normally keep on hand. I will make an effort to have those always available. those eggs really fill me up. Sometimes I am worried b/c eating the eggs late night put me over my numbers for the day. I guess it is better to be over with protein and fat, than with junk food. Maybe I should reduce my daily calorie goals to allow for the night snacking.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"

My Journal:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast