Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Relationship and Diet page 2

Pollyanna12 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's a lot easier for the cook too. I have the pleasure of sharing my house with a vegetarian and a husband who will not eat vegetables or fish. Finding a variety of recipes which everryone will eat is a bit of a challenge!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I struggle with this a lot myself. You really have to practice the principles of Al-Anon, which is the group for the partners of alcoholics. You can't change another person. You can only live your own life and let others live theirs and find their own way.

I'm not very good at this sometimes because I get fed up with the undeserved push-back and blame I get. I really don't think serving salmon and steamed vegetables is the cause of another person's arthritis and chest pains, but I get blamed for it because once in a while I serve red meat. Nevermind the man chooses to eat red meat and also chooses to serve it sometimes. It's much easier for him to blame me when I do it once in a blue moon than take responsibility for his own choices.

However, I'm no saint because despite knowing better I sometimes will send him a link to a video or something to defend myself. I really shouldn't do it. I should just mind my own business and keep doing what makes me feel terrific, healthy and strong and hope someday he meets someone else who can change his mind so he can be the healthy, strong person he ought to be instead of the chest-pain-riddled, arthritic, sad-sack that he is now.

A friend of mine told me how his wife started attending FA (Food Addicts Anonymous) and lost 130lbs. Her depression went away. Her health improved. She felt happy and no longer squabbled with him every night. She attended these meetings (they simply give up sugar and flour) for over a year. Meanwhile my friend continued to overeat on pasta and other flour and sugar goodies all the time and continued to see his health decline, continued to feel grumpy and pick fights every night etc. It took over a year before he finally wondered if maybe his wife was on to something. Then he decided to try it and within a week his blood pressure was normal for the first time in decades, and over time his mental health improved, he stopped picking fights, they have a happier marriage now and both are thinner and happier and healthier than ever. But it took more than a year of her being patient. And I don't remember what was the ultimate catalyst for him, but it certainly wasn't her nagging him, that's for sure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    At least she's not vegetarian or vegan. I don't know how primal folks live with a SO that eats that way. I'm very fortunate in that my husband is fully on board, he saw my health improve and now is committed. I do almost all of the cooking and shopping and he appreciates the tasty food I prepare so it wasn't that hard for him to eat primal foods.

That being said preaching never works especially early on in a relationship. Just make her tasty food when you eat together, most people can be seduced/swayed by a delicious meal. Just resist the urge to ask her how she feels after she's eaten it. Might be a good idea to buy a paleo cookbook with good photos and leave it lying around so she can look at it. I suggest

Paleo Comfort Foods - Paleo Food Cookbook and Recipes

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    If something irks you this much now, it will only get worse. That being said, there are three possible outcomes: you make peace with it, she changes her eating habits or you breakup.

I hate telling people what to eat. If she wants to eat that shit so be it. Not everyone is interested or believes an ancestral diet is the way to go.

Relationships are all about compromising.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Something else to consider if you two were ever to have kids together. What she eats will affect the baby.

The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 5): Generation XL - YouTube
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

parrottrl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Another thing that irks me is that what if we have a child together in the future... y'know i want her to be a healthy bearer to pass on health and the best start to life as possible for the child.
    Don't ever tell her that. If she's smart, she will RUN like Beelzebub is right behind her. Few woman want to be thought of as merely a vessel for future offspring. After all, she may not even want children.

Before my husband and I went primal, we ate a lot differently. I was gluten, dairy, and soy free. I still don't consume dairy.

Did I internally wish he'd stop eating all of that crap? Sure. You just can't force that kind of lifestyle onto another person. People have to be ready and willing to make changes to their lifestyle. Food is a comfort, social, and cultural thing. It's kind of a big deal for many folks. Some people also don't agree with Primal. Gasp.

I think the longer you're in a relationship with her, the more she'll become curious about your lifestyle. That's kind of what happens when you start to care for someone deeply. If she decides it's not for her, then don't worry about it.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parrottrl View Post
    Don't ever tell her that. If she's smart, she will RUN like Beelzebub is right behind her. Few woman want to be thought of as merely a vessel for future offspring. After all, she may not even want children.
    So true

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parrottrl View Post
    On the other hand, if he says it, then she'll know where they stand on the issue. And she can get a running start
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    How about asking your SO to simply read a book, oh like PB, with an open mind but the even refuse to do that?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast