Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I think Paleo is full of crazies ... page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Sometimes I think Paleo is full of crazies ...

Primal Fuel
    I like the movement, but goodness there's some oddball stuff out there. The basic Paleo template is spot-on, but no-one can really pretend that it's only the vegans who are a bit ... err ... off-the-wall.

Here's an example.

I heard Robb Wolf say, in the middle of a sprawling formless monologue, on his latest podcast that weight-gain is caused by salting your food -- apparently, on the grounds that Stephan Guynet said so, and that he once knew a fat guy who ate a lot of salted peanuts. Even the co-host seemed taken aback.

And yet Robb is often fairly sensible.

Maybe I need to thin out my iTunes subscriptions again ...

Anyone else got any recent craziness from the movement?

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure he was makin a gag.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Everyone who has been investigating paleo for over a month is suddenly a molecular biologist.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I think some people take the whole thing a bit far beyond what it should be, a good way to eat. And people seem to have an overly unrealistic romantic notions of what life was actually like in the paleolithic period. The truth is we don't really know exactly what grok done, ate or how he lived, but I'm sure it wasn't as pretty as people here tend to visualize. It's important to keep an open mind and not pretend we have all the answers because nutritional science is such a diverse area open to so many different interpretations, you're not going to find all the answers by spending a few years reading blogs and studies.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-31-2012 at 12:19 AM.

meateater is offline Junior Member
    He was talking about the food reward/hyperpalatability concept. Those theories are not something Robb or Stephan pulled out of thin air, there has been a lot of research done in that area over many years. Stephan has blogged about that quite a bit over the past years if you want to check it out. It does make sense as a factor for the obesity epidemic as an explanation of why people binge on processed food.

Woah, first post after lurking for quite some time

Bess58 is offline Member
    I think that any movement that is not mainstream attracts its fair share of neurotics and attention-seekers ...

patrickh is offline Member
    What meateater said.

He wasn't saying that salt made you fat, but that salty foods encourage you to eat more due to their hyperpalatability.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meateater View Post
    He was talking about the food reward/hyperpalatability concept. Those theories are not something Robb or Stephan pulled out of thin air, there has been a lot of research done in that area over many years. Stephan has blogged about that quite a bit over the past years if you want to check it out. It does make sense as a factor for the obesity epidemic as an explanation of why people binge on processed food.

Woah, first post after lurking for quite some time
    Thanks for the clear up. I was a little "Whaaaa" when I read Lewis' comment. I really like Robb Wolf. Smart guy

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Everyone who has been investigating paleo for over a month is suddenly a molecular biologist.
    I much prefer molecular gastronomy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    Lots of people go a little overboard. I like the PB and all, but when I see threads on how to take a dump primally, then I roll my eyes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast