Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Allergy and Joint Pain/Inflammation page

vb66 is offline Senior Member

Food Allergy and Joint Pain/Inflammation

So where to start.... I'll try to be concise.

A bit of background:
    I've been having pain in my ankle joints since the end of May. It came on slowly without any notable trauma or changes in my training. (Note: I'm a full time athlete (hockey) so training is my job). It started where I would just feel it when I was jogging in my warm up, but after a week or two, I woke up one morning and could feel pain with every step. I saw chiropractors, physios, and a sports MD, and none could find anything structurally wrong, from a bone, tendon, ligament, muscle standpoint. My ankles didn't respond to rest and treatments the way they should have.

The MD put me on a stronger anti inflam, Naproxen, and that helped a ton, paired with significantly scaling back my training. I slowly cut the Naproxen, and low and behold, the ankle pain/inflammation came back. I had been eating a lot of dairy and was told to cut that out. I did and it seemed to help (it sure helped my skin, but I already knew it would).

Unfortunately the pain came back when I tried to ramp back up training. All the therapists I've see are at a bit of a loss. So as a last ditch effort, I went to see a naturopath this morning. Seeing as I'm already off gluten, grains, legumes, dairy, and nuts, the only thing she could really suggest was cutting out eggs. I eat A LOT of eggs and egg whites. Anywhere from 6-12 a day for the past year or so. However I don't have any digestive issues from them.

Could they still be causing an inflammation response in my body, possibly contributing to my ankle problems? Or is that just crazy? I'm getting a bit desperate because I can't train the way I need to. It's been a stressful summer for me because of it.

Sorry this ended up being so long! Any responses are much appreciated!

Are you keeping your Omega 6:3 ratios in check? Grass fed meat, oily fish, Salmon etc.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    They're a common allergen. Why not give them up for a few weeks and see how you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAdelaide View Post
    Are you keeping your Omega 6:3 ratios in check? Grass fed meat, oily fish, Salmon etc.
    Yes I think so. I'm taking Cod Liver Oil most days. I eat at least one of avacado, sardines, or salmon every day. Grassfed meat isn't in my budget unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    They're a common allergen. Why not give them up for a few weeks and see how you feel?
    I plan on it for sure! I'll do anything at this point. I just wanted to see if people thought they could possibly be a contributing factor.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Try celery. Lots and lots of celery. It gets rid of the pain~

Anti Inflammatory - The polyacetylene in celery is an amazing relief for all inflammation including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis. A study published in the Proceeding of the National Academy of Science U.S.A found that another powerful phytonutrient called luteolin prevents activation of a pathway that allows inflammation in the brain to get switched on. Luteolin also inhibits the excess production of TNF-alpha, a direct cause of inflammation. Juice is the most efficient and nutritious way to eat celery, and people who have these conditions can drink as much juice as desired without overdosing.

Learn more: The Incredible Powers of Celery Juice

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Try celery. Lots and lots of celery. It gets rid of the pain~
    And I thought celery was just green strips of water . I wish I had a juicer. Maybe I'll try throwing some in my smoothies!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    And I thought celery was just green strips of water . I wish I had a juicer. Maybe I'll try throwing some in my smoothies!
    I find teeth to be quite the juicers, plus the crunch factor is quite satisfying when you need something to gnaw on

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would try eliminating eggs and all nightshades very strictly for a month. Nightshades can be tricky as they are hidden everywhere so you have to be very careful. If your pain goes away, then add one group back in at time and see which one it is.

Both of them cause joint swelling and pain for me. Nightshades are the worst. After nearly 2 years of eliminating them, I can have a little here and there without too much trouble, but in the beginning even a tiny bit would flare me in the worst way!!

ETA: you also may want to check your vitamin D3 levels and keep them high to help with inflammation.
    Last edited by jammies; 07-30-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

mzteaze is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My suggestion has little to do with your diet...but consider trying acupuncture. An anti inflammatory sounds as if it's only masking the pain. It sounds as if there isn't an obvious structural issue, but definitely something that could be worked out with a course of acupuncture.

Just my 2 pesos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast