Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfavorable O6:O3 in eggs? page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

Unfavorable O6:O3 in eggs?

Shop Now
    I enjoy eating eggs for breakfast for breakfast. It's pretty been my "go to" breakfast about 75% of the time the past few months. Usually I eat about 4 eggs either soft boiled(with the yolk still runny) or scrambled in a bit of ghee. I always thought that this was a healthy breakfast.

Just now while researching O3 supplements, I came across a food tracker called "Paleo Track" that tells you the O6:O3 in the foods you eat. I typed in 4 eggs and it gave me an unfavorable ratio with O6 being double of the O3. I'm relatively new to Primal, so could somebody please explain to me whether eating 4 eggs everyday for breakfast truly is considered healthy? Should I be not eating so many eggs? Unfortunately, I am not able to afford quality eggs. I buy my eggs from Walmart. I need to lose about 10-15 pounds, so that is primarily why I am worried about the unfavorable ratio.

Also as a quick side question... could somebody please recommend a quality but also affordable Omega 3 supplement, and a vitamin D supplement? I am not sure at all which brand to buy, how much to take, when to take it, etc. Pretty much, I am clueless. Does the Primal community have some sort of general agreement on which brands of supplements are recommended? Thank you for any advice.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    A 1:2 ratio is fine. It's the 1:10 ratios you should avoid like the plague.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    You need to calculate the ratio based on your weekly intake, not one food or even one meal. Otherwise fish oil supplements would be pointless. Eat more fish and brains
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks for the advice. I'm still going to keep eating the eggs since it's not such bad of a ratio as I thought. I do eat canned fish about 1-2 times per week. However, doesn't fish have high levels of mercury to watch out for?(Or is this just CW?)

Anyway, does anyone have a good recommendation or any advice for someone new to fish oil supplements?

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    The 2:1 ratio is for Omega 3 enhanced Eggs. Conventional Grain Fed Eggs are more like 20:1. So be sure to get pastured eggs (ideal) or Omega 3 Eggs. As far as Omega 3 supplementation goes, a few cans of sardines a week is what I use. Skin on, bone in, olive oil version what you want. I used to take fish oil pills but quit due to fish burps and concerns about rancidity. Sardines remove the fish burp and rancidity issues, give you just as much Omega 3, and have plenty of protein, calcium, and other benefits fish oil is totally lacking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    I do eat canned fish about 1-2 times per week. However, doesn't fish have high levels of mercury to watch out for?(Or is this just CW?)
    Mercury levels depends on the particular fish.
    Last edited by JWBooth; 07-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    buy pastured eggs. yes, more $$$ than supermarket eggs, but still a very cheap source of protein.

canned tuna can have high mercury, but smaller fish like mackerel, sardines, anchovies and salmon do not. fish oil is gross and rancidity may be an issue. just eat fish.

i get my vitamin d3 through amazon, from "now". i buy the 5,000 iu dose and am currently taking 10,000 per day. these are made with olive oil capsules, not soybean oil, like most others.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The smaller the fish, the less toxins.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Check out this previous thread, perhaps it will reassure you a little about Omega 6 when coming from animal sources:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread55326.html

Getting the O3 from the source itself does sound better, so I'll go with the suggested advice and eat more fish. I actually love seafood, so this is no problem. Does anyone know if seafood besides fish(like clams, oysters, scallops, crabs, etc.) has good amounts of O3? Or is it just fish like sardines and tuna? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Getting the O3 from the source itself does sound better, so I'll go with the suggested advice and eat more fish. I actually love seafood, so this is no problem. Does anyone know if seafood besides fish(like clams, oysters, scallops, crabs, etc.) has good amounts of O3? Or is it just fish like sardines and tuna? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
    Yes, I was happily surprised to learn that seafood & crustaceans do indeed contain some omega-3s. Not champs like salmon or other cold water, fatty fishies, but decent amounts. It all adds up, eh. I also eat some chia, (I know I know), some mac nuts for o3 & o9. Hemp is actually a balanced food w/ 1:1 ratio of o36 but I don't do it much as it tastes chalky to me & I gave up foods out of aseptic containers more than a decade ago....
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast