Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you stay motivated when you are the only one... page 2

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ethereal, if your 18 yr vegetarian husband now eats lamb, I think he's going to join you 'primally' eventually.

I have read about GAPS, but have never tried it. My son has been gluten/casein free, and is now gluten free about 80/20. I need to get all 3 of my kids away from the SAD. He has made tons of progress over the years, but unfortunately for me that means I have diminished ability to control his eating when he is away from home (he's 11). Amazing what power crappy food has over us! He is a sneaky little bugger.

One of the biggest benefits to feeling better is that I have the energy to tackle Autism again. We have about 12 more months with chelation (heavy metal detox) and I will work on the gut with him during that time. What a marathon this has been! He went from a nonverbal toddler to a fully mainstreamed middle schooler but it hasn't been easy. I'm a proud mama.

Thanks for the recommendation. I need to take another look at GAPS.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I understand. I only have one friend who is primal and she isn't very dedicated to it, that and she lives far away, so I rarely see her. I have made one friend on here who I email with, but like you said it is not the same as having someone I your day to day life that feels the way you do. I also believe in a more preventative holistic approach to medicine which is VERY hard to come by where I live. I just do what I feel is right and if anyone asks me about it I tell them, otherwise I keep it to myself. Live and let live is my philosophy. They are sure their way is right, as am I. None of us are infallible, so what's the point in arguing. Just go with what you think is right!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's how I deal with it since I don't know any real life people in my own home town on this diet and my partner is cranky and upset about this diet (even though minus the farty oat bran and margarine, it's basically EXACTLY what his stupid cholesterol diet book wants him to eat. It sucks sometimes to live with a man who'd rather win an argument than actually stop and think for a minute.)
    Hey sbhikes - how is it that you and Paleobird aren't occasionally hiking and eating together?? Aren't both of you from Santa Barbara??

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I have read about GAPS, but have never tried it. My son has been gluten/casein free, and is now gluten free about 80/20. I need to get all 3 of my kids away from the SAD. He has made tons of progress over the years, but unfortunately for me that means I have diminished ability to control his eating when he is away from home (he's 11). Amazing what power crappy food has over us! He is a sneaky little bugger.

One of the biggest benefits to feeling better is that I have the energy to tackle Autism again. We have about 12 more months with chelation (heavy metal detox) and I will work on the gut with him during that time. What a marathon this has been! He went from a nonverbal toddler to a fully mainstreamed middle schooler but it hasn't been easy. I'm a proud mama.

Thanks for the recommendation. I need to take another look at GAPS.
    Hello PHaselow! YOU SHOULD BE A PROUD MAMA - CONGRATULATIONS!!

I have a special-needs daughter (not autism, tho) who has been on the SCD for 6 years now. (The Specific Carbohydrate Diet) I plan on investigating GAPS soon, but I think you should also get the info/book for the SCD as well, as the GAPS builds on the SCD.

I jumped into Primal, then found Paleo / Weston Price / etc. info, and the info on all of them is invaluable, as I am one of those information junkies who just likes to have the global picture - I think it will be of benefit to you to know both the SCD and the GAPS to be able to make the most informed specific diet decisions concerning your son.

I hear you on the energy thing - Third (my third daughter, the special-needs one) is eleven as well, and I was running out of steam after 9 years of nothing but read-read-read, therapy-therapy-therapy, doc-doc-doc, manage home life-manage home life-manage home life, go-go-go... you know how it is. The more Primal I get, the better I get. I am looking forward to running circles around the kids very, very soon!

One very, very specific improvement with Third: as I have been Primal, and I am the chief cook and bottle washer in this house, the troops eat what I cook. (It also helps that I have an SCD kid, as the SCD is ridiculously close to Primal, so that is two of us. And I have Second, who is a meat-lovin', heavy-eatin' celiac with a dairy allergy - therefore also very amenable to Primal, and that makes three of us.) Anyway - when I changed the fatty acid profile of my kitchen and threw out the seed oils, you wouldn't believe the jump in verbal ability of Third!! I sometimes supplement her with high doses of Carlson's Super DHA because I am trying the recommendations in "The LCP Solution" (which work for Third, BTW), and I was starting to despair that she would need expensive supplementation for the rest of her life, but that a simple dietary change would do essentially the same - stunning.

Keep on writing us... it is how I get my crazies out, and don't feel as lonely, as well. If you are in eastern OH/western PA/ northern WV, maybe we could meet someday!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Oh, Crabcakes... I so wish you lived in WI!

I am a huge fan of Nordic Naturals EFAs. My 11 yr old was a super responder to Omega 3s when he was about 4. Literally jumped started his language. Can't explain it to anyone, but I witnessed it. I use EPA to keep off of anti-depressants.

That leads me to another thread I need to explore: cholesterol and depression. My cholesterol was always super low (total): 103 at its lowest. Now, at about 150 mg/dL, I am off of meds. I did it mainly with high dose EPAs and determination. I feel better off meds than I ever felt on them.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey sbhikes - how is it that you and Paleobird aren't occasionally hiking and eating together?? Aren't both of you from Santa Barbara??
    I think she is in San Diego. That's about 4 or 5 hours away.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what others eat or think about your diet? Nope. Moving passed that is a big step! It's not nearly as important as you think it is. Eat and move on.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    At some point, yes it is just "how you are", but you will find yourself surprised when people are shocked at your way of eating. I forget most of the time that a lot of people still shy away from butter.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I suppose I just eat what I want, exercise how I want, and enjoy my friends and family, no? At some point it will be simply how I live and not something I need or want to talk about?
    That pretty much sums it up.

We talk about it in our home, in a general sense, but I'm the only one striving to be primal. The rest are sometimes primal by accident Some of my friends know about my weird food ways but nobody judges. It really helps to word it in a way so that I'm telling them what *I* have learned, how *I* am questioning CW, and how what I do/eat applies to *me*....not make them feel stupid for not knowing the difference between butter and margarine, or judge them for being carb & cardio addicts.

The kids and I just spent a week with my brother's family, in their home. Its really interesting to see how other people live/eat on a daily basis. I've talked to bro and SIL about what I choose to eat (or not) and why, and they are open minded and non-judgemental. I brought along some foods that were non-negotiable, (butter, full fat yogurt, larabars, eggs) as well as cooked some meals that were primal-friendly. I also strayed into some grey areas food-wise (and felt the consequences) but didnt spend all week annoying them with my food babble.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Thanks, everyone. My husband is definitely respectful of my choices, and won't look down at what I do. For that I am grateful.
    this is huge. when i first gave up grains, it was after months and months of trying to lose weight. after i entered my 40s everything just "broke" and my body went to hell. i found atkins and a bell rang. my b/f was dubious, at best. but weight came off, my health improved and i continued my research. as i have dialed it in further, he thinks i'm on the margin of weird, i guess (!), but remains supportive. like, he thinks the bone broth is hilarious, but i know without a doubt it's one of the best things i have done for my health in many years.

I'd really love to start a monthly dinner group. I guess that is where my question originally came from as I got all whiney about not having a ready-made group of friends for my project.
    i entertain ALL THE TIME. cook what you like because primal food is effing delicious. i make no pronouncements, i just cook. people have been complaining lately that it's been too long since i've had them over! quid pro quo might not be possible, but, hey, start something!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast