Thread: Weight lifters: sweet potato or white rice? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Weight lifters: sweet potato or white rice?

Shop Now
    I love the taste of sweet potatoes and the nutrition they offer, but I am beginning to think that it may be harming my lifting recovery eating only sweet potatoes as my starch after working out because of the low glycemic response. Personally, how have you all felt eating white rice versus sweet potatoes PWO? Does it not make a large difference? I don't mind the volume of sweet potato needed to be eaten because I eat slowly and in large quantities anyway.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't think they're harming your recovery. if you're a competing strength athlete or bodybuilder, maybe then you have to worry about maximizing the glycemic response to that degree. for 'folks,' either is fine.

but depending on how many carbs you want to pack in, it may take a lot of sweet potatoes, and for that reason, white rice can be easier to deal with cause you have to eat less of it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I prefer white potato for carb ups to sweet potato and rice. I feel much fuller on white potato than on rice, and starch is starchier for me in white pot vs sweet one. I'd say try all of them (and a banana too), and see how it makes you feel.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I use both (and white potatoes on occasion as well) just to mix it up. I actually prefer the white rice over the sweet potatoes just for eating's sake, but they both do the job they are supposed to.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I prefer white potato for carb ups to sweet potato and rice. I feel much fuller on white potato than on rice, and starch is starchier for me in white pot vs sweet one. I'd say try all of them (and a banana too), and see how it makes you feel.
    Haha, I definitely cannot do the banana, and I like the taste of sweet potatoes more, though white ones do fill me up better. They are more expensive than sweet potatoes are atm though.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I use rice, but that is more because sweet potatoes don't agree with me.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    White rice is far and away the best source of starch for glycogen loading in my experience.

Sweet potatoes and white potatoes come second, and bananas third.

White rice comes with the added benefit of zero detectable intolerance too.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.