Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much vitamin A? page

Too much vitamin A?

Shop Now
    So I've been using paleotrack to plan out my meals. I have to eat a lot of greens to raise some of the nutrients!

While trying to increase my minerals, my vitamin A consumption is becoming quite high. Over the past 5 days it varies between 700%- 1400% daily value. This comes from kale, spinach, chard, occasional pumpkin, and cod liver oil. I usually take one or two cod liver oils caps (Carlson's) to help balance my omegas. Taking two brings me to 80% DV of vitamin A. Yeesh.

Is this going to cause issues with toxicity, sun sensitivity, etc? I've taken accutane years ago and cringe at the memory of those side effects.

I think I'd like to purchase another type of fish oil when this stuff runs out. Hopefully something free of gluten and soy.I've always bought Carlson's because it supposedly has high purity standards, but I'm not sure on the details. They use soybean oil in some of their gel caps.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Use Carlson's regular fish oil--not the cod liver oil. The problem with Cod Liver Oil is exactly what you're experiencing--too much Vit. A if you eat a normal amount of vegetables. And Vit. A toxicity is not a good thing.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin A from plants and from Animal sources are *not* the same thing. Vitamin A from plants is in the form of carotenes and they are poorly converted into the real form of Vitamin A that the body uses. In fact, its almost impossible to overdose on them - your skin will change colors (in a non toxic way) before your body really has an issue - and even that skin change was shown in a study to be considered more "beautiful" to a person's looks than a sun tan.

The animal form in Vitamin A, on the other hand, you *can* overdose on, particularly if you are not balancing it with Vitamin D which helps avoid toxicity. Check out Chris Masterjohn's articles on Vitamin A, D and K2 to understand the relationships better.
    However, if you are getting it from cod liver oil that has both A and D not sure you will see toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Vitamin A from plants and from Animal sources are *not* the same thing. Vitamin A from plants is in the form of carotenes and they are poorly converted into the real form of Vitamin A that the body uses. In fact, its almost impossible to overdose on them - your skin will change colors (in a non toxic way) before your body really has an issue - and even that skin change was shown in a study to be considered more "beautiful" to a person's looks than a sun tan.

The animal form in Vitamin A, on the other hand, you *can* overdose on, particularly if you are not balancing it with Vitamin D which helps avoid toxicity. Check out Chris Masterjohn's articles on Vitamin A, D and K2 to understand the relationships better.
    However, if you are getting it from cod liver oil that has both A and D not sure you will see toxicity.
    I thought you only turned orange from beta carotenes in carrots, yams, etc. Interesting. Most of the vitamin A that makes up the DV are from leafy greens. I'm only getting 80-100% DV from animal sources. I'm guessing, though.

I take 2,000 IU of D3 daily.

I'll check out his articles. Thanks!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    have you had your d-levels checked? if they are very low and you don't live in a sunny place, 2000 iu isn't going to do much.

as mentioned already, it's nearly impossible to overload on vitamin a from plants. liver is a different story.

eta: oooh, seattle. yeah, lots of grey days, eh? i live in boston and am curreently taking 10,000 ius per day, til september when i get my levels checked again.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

We don't have insurance currently, so I'm unsure if I can go get my levels checked. Do you have to go through a doctor or can you just get your blood drawn at the place where you go to get your blood drawn? Ha, I'm 21 and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm heliophobic, sad to say. That's my main reason for getting a bit freaked out by too much vitamin A and it being correlated to sun sensitivity. I only feel comfortable with a couple minutes of early morning sunlight so far. I'm working on it.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    One of my pet peeves with multivitamins is that they typically supply about 10,000 IU of vitamin A, but only about 400 IU of vitamin D. Bad combination!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i don't bother with a multi, since the ratios never seem to offer what i need. i eat liver, eggs, bone broth, meat, seafood, etc. and plenty of greens. i take d3, k2 and magnesium. that's it. according to cronometer i get plenty of my water-soluble vitamins from my diet.

i live with mandated health insurance, so had my doctor check my d-levels. he looked very surprised i even asked. dunno where else you could have that done, sorry. are you in school?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
    I thought you only turned orange from beta carotenes in carrots, yams, etc. Interesting. Most of the vitamin A that makes up the DV are from leafy greens. I'm only getting 80-100% DV from animal sources. I'm guessing, though.

I take 2,000 IU of D3 daily.

I'll check out his articles. Thanks!
    Interesting if you turn green rather than orange!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    One of my pet peeves with multivitamins is that they typically supply about 10,000 IU of vitamin A, but only about 400 IU of vitamin D. Bad combination!
    Multivitamins typically only have plant-form vitamin-A so the equivalent to *real* vitamin A may be but a small fraction of that 10,000IU anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast