Thread: Help me with my Exercise Routine please :) page

Paleomom4 is offline Junior Member

Help me with my Exercise Routine please :)

Primal Fuel
    So, I think I'm getting my exercise all wrong. First I'd like to say I LOVE to exercise. I have no problem motivating myself to get out there and do it. Even with four kids and way too many animals. I'm a SAHM and my husband works a lot but I still get it done. Fitness is a priority for our family. So, I'm asking for help to tweak my exercise routine because I've gained ten pounds since going primal 4 months ago. (And yes, I just started counting calories so lets just not go there).

My current routine (which has been pretty similar for a few years):

5-7 days a week I walk my dogs for 45 minutes to an hour. I live in a very hilly area but I hike on trails by the lake near our house. I don't power walk but I don't stop to smell the daisies either. I usually walk in the morning before the kids get up, before I eat.

2 times a week I do what is called "boot camp" at my local gym for one hour each. We do a lot of high intensity, interval training with a lot of body weight and high rep/low weight stuff mixed in. Most days I feel like puking after these intense sessions so they are pretty tough.

2-3 times a week I ride road bike for one to two hours. I'm going pretty hard because I'm trying to keep up with my husband who races.

I have four young children so I play A LOT. At the park, at the beach, in our yard. I'm very active with them.

The thing is, I actually really like exercising and I rather enjoy the feeling of having completely pushed myself after a boot camp session, or the leg burning feeling after a 40 mile bike ride.

I'm willing to give up boot camp to lift heavy twice a week. Would that help?

As I said, I feel great and I enjoy my routine just trying to figure out why I'm gaining weight and trying to figure out if I'm pushing too much cortisol or working out in too high of a zone.

Any questions or input or ideas for me?

I just realized this could have gone in the fitness section. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    If it's possible to change anything, I'd change one day of biking to a heavy lifting day.

Quote Originally Posted by TCates190 View Post
    If it's possible to change anything, I'd change one day of biking to a heavy lifting day.
    Yes, I actually really enjoy heavy lifting so I'm going to try to incorporate that more. I live in Minnesota so I won't be biking for very much longer outdoors anyway.

I really enjoy the group environment of boot camp. Usually there are about 10 of us. Wish I could find a group of people to do some heavy lifting.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean. I do boot circuit traing twice a week in my gym and love the company. There again I don't mind doing heavy weights on my own as I find it easier than circuits.
    I only spend approx 30 minutes doing weights. I do squats, deadlifts, press ups, the plank and assisted pull ups as per Marks advise. I finish off with 5 minutes of Tabatha sprints.
    The time really does fly.

You are doing plenty of exercise, so apart from the heavy weights can't think of anything else.