Thread: Increasing wild tropical fruit intake....... page

Amy680 is offline Junior Member

Increasing wild tropical fruit intake.......

Primal Fuel
    Such as when vacationing in Hawaii or South America?
    After achieving the body weight I'm comfortable with, i wonder if eating 3-4 tropical fruits per week would cause problems??
    My favorites are rollinea, durian, guava, papaya, soursop, loquats, star apple.
    Thanks!!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Definitely no. Enjoy your vacation.

Do you like jackfruit? I always get a lot of guava, papaya, soursop, and jackfruit when I'm back at home.

Amy680 is offline Junior Member
    Are you saying that i should NOT eat tropical fruit occasionally?

It would not cause problems. Especially if you eat fruit normally now.

Go for it.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy680 View Post
    Such as when vacationing in Hawaii or South America?
    After achieving the body weight I'm comfortable with, i wonder if eating 3-4 tropical fruits per week would cause problems??
    My favorites are rollinea, durian, guava, papaya, soursop, loquats, star apple.
    Thanks!!
    Per week? More like 2-4 per day for me, durian & jackfruit(obviously cannot eat a whole one), but naners, soursops, avos, mangos (both green & ripe), tamarinds, you name it & I'm on it. I do gain a few pounds while in the tropics, lol, even though I'm sweatin' to the oldies in the humidity, swimming & walking a lot... I just eat so much food, haha, but never worry about it. I flucuate between 148 up to 155 lbs, without thinkin' about it much... But I hear ya, & feel ya. But fruit intake in the tropics, just enjoy yourself & try new things. After all it's where I 1st "put the lime in the coconut, & stirred it all around..."
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of Hawaii', the lilikoi, passion fruit, grow wild there & they are amazing buggers. Just be sure it's not a roadside where they spray pesticides to keep the jungle back off the road... I smuggled a BUNCH of lilikoi back to Calif once, And a backpack full of mangos & avos another time, lol
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Speaking of Hawaii', the lilikoi, passion fruit, grow wild there & they are amazing buggers. Just be sure it's not a roadside where they spray pesticides to keep the jungle back off the road... I smuggled a BUNCH of lilikoi back to Calif once, And a backpack full of mangos & avos another time, lol
    Omg lilikoi pie...............

I went hiking once and picked the lilikoi off the ground from where they fell by the trail. Sooooo good......

winterzodiac is offline Junior Member
    I've been wondering which tropical fruits are the best if you are trying to do low carb. Now that I'm living in the Philippines my family isn't always able to tell me the english names so I can look up the nutritional info. There are just some fruits that I have never seen in the US or Canada, though I used to frequent asian and latin markets.

I know that starfruit (carambola) is low carb, but I only see the trees in people's yards, not at the fruit market or grocery store. uggh. Might be a seasonal thing but I don't think so, I think it grows year round.

I can buy a chayote fruit for .08 cents (US) and have made it a staple used it in so many ways: stir-frys, soups, salads, even drizzled w/ honey & cinnamon.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"
    HW: 230lbs (approx), size 22
    SW Paleo: 155lbs (7/31/12)
    CW: 155 lbs
    GW: 130 lbs/Sz 10 and to fit into a cute Halloween costume this year!

My Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63367.html

Fresh mature coconut is also low carb =P

Also the majority of my filipino friends stick their noses up at liver here in the US because it used to be fresh and delicious back at home, a day or two off the cow. I'd say try look for those things as well.

winterzodiac is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, coconut...duh

I'm still subconsciously avoiding coconut b/c conventional wisdom tells me there is too much fat. I remember a few years back looking at the labels of the frozen fruit bars and deciding that coconut was unhealthy for my family and should be avoided in the future. Way too fatty! It will take some time to get all that nonsense out of my head.

I'm actually in coconut paradise right now, it's everywhere and used for everything. But I've never purchased any coco juice or meat from the street vendors. Or even had the free coconuts my family members bring home when visiting the countryside, b/c I was on a "diet". I better start taking advantage of all this before heading back to the US!

While the meats in the Philippines don't have labels like grass-fed or free-range, rest assured everything is local and fresh and the fruits & veggies come from local farmers who likely don't have the resources to use chemicals. My first month here I got so f-in pissed that the produce was so small and would spoil in the fridge if I didn't consume it within 2/3/4 days. Im so used to American crap that I can stick in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

I still haven't tried any offal...baby steps. Maybe next week I will add some liver or heart to my big pot of chili as a start.
    Last edited by winterzodiac; 08-04-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"
    HW: 230lbs (approx), size 22
    SW Paleo: 155lbs (7/31/12)
    CW: 155 lbs
    GW: 130 lbs/Sz 10 and to fit into a cute Halloween costume this year!

My Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63367.html