Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: What areas of primal/paleo are you having the most difficulty with? page 7

  1. #61
    PHaselow's Avatar
    PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    725
    Shop Now
    I had minimal trouble dumping grains and dairy. My huge vice continues to be sugar. Although I've cut out the gluten-laden sugar, I can't seem to go a day without dark chocolate. I'm not talking one square... or eating 1/8th of the pan of paleo coconut bars (which has 1/3 c coconut nectar). Things like that.

    Increasing protein is probably my real stumbling block. Making that mindset switch to eat that meat! I tend to graze instead of eat a meal,and will go for lower protein foods over a hunk o' meat. Dangerous.

    I am proud of myself, though. There will be time later for portion control. If I could only figure out how to post my 'before' shots, I'd hold myself accountable to continued progress! Are new members restricted from uploading pictures to threads? Gotta read the FAQ section. *sigh*

    Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


    "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

  2. #62
    Daisynyc's Avatar
    Daisynyc is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well said. For some people all that forum "wisdom" about "safe starches" wasn't so wise. For some people there is no such thing as a safe starch.
    Agree.

    The area that gave me the most difficulty with Primal was the rather open-ended approach regarding carbs. I am pre-diabetic, and I find it nearly impossible to lose weight without being in or nearly in ketosis. That's just me, of course, but I wish the PB plan included a section for those of us who must keep our carbs low. 50-100 carbs per day leaves me constantly hungry and craving sugar. I need to count my carbs and keep them in a certain range in order to lose weight.

    I suppose in a nutshell, I found that Primal wasn't low-carb enough for me to lose a significant amount of weight. What I am doing to lose weight is much closer to Atkins, albeit with a lot more vegetables.

  3. #63
    randomcow's Avatar
    randomcow is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    24
    Beer. Damn I love that stuff.

    RC

  4. #64
    Ayla's Avatar
    Ayla is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    105
    GravyBoat- thanks for that. It really slapped some sense into me.

    I've been primal for 2 years, but haven't lost weight since the first 4 months, and have been gaining some back slowly since then (I have about 20 lbs. of flab.) I think I just eat too much fruit, too much dark chocolate, too many nuts, and have too many "special occasions" or nights when the devil seems to just take over and I eat pizza, ice cream, etc. Because of advice on the forums, I sometimes get into spirals where a serving of rice turns into several days of other carby treats. I need to dial it in, stick to meat and vegetables, and really watch my nuts and chocolate indulgences.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

  5. #65
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post
    Exercise... because I don't like getting sweaty. Ok, that sounds wussy enough to say it to shame me into exercise. Haha

    Jenny
    You know what? I hate getting sweaty too. I just focus on bodyweight and strength exercises for a few minutes a day instead.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  6. #66
    Gravyboat's Avatar
    Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    GravyBoat- thanks for that. It really slapped some sense into me.

    I've been primal for 2 years, but haven't lost weight since the first 4 months, and have been gaining some back slowly since then (I have about 20 lbs. of flab.) I think I just eat too much fruit, too much dark chocolate, too many nuts, and have too many "special occasions" or nights when the devil seems to just take over and I eat pizza, ice cream, etc. Because of advice on the forums, I sometimes get into spirals where a serving of rice turns into several days of other carby treats. I need to dial it in, stick to meat and vegetables, and really watch my nuts and chocolate indulgences.
    I think if you make it past the cravings period, you will definitely resume losing weight. As I mentioned, I was recently on a plateau and it was driving me crazy. So I decided to get with the program and push back down into ketosis. I weathered the storm, and have since lost 13lbs in the last 2-3ish weeks. Now my cravings are completely gone and my appetite is low. I'm not even tempted by ice cream right now and that's my biggest vice. I ate once today (breakfast) and I'm about to go to bed and I feel fine.

    Keto works. It just sucks getting there and I think people give up too quickly.

    _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

  7. #67
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post
    Exercise... because I don't like getting sweaty. Ok, that sounds wussy enough to say it to shame me into exercise. Haha

    Jenny
    LOL!!! I love working out but I hate to sweat. Sounds strange I know...! I even take showers before I go to the gym so I don't get overheated

  8. #68
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    I miss eating my favorite veggie chips that I get from Costco, rice cakes and those rice chips. Sometimes I just want something salty and I really don't feel like eating more seaweed. I love KFC once in a while...I know so bad for me..

  9. #69
    Gravyboat's Avatar
    Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    LOL!!! I love working out but I hate to sweat. Sounds strange I know...! I even take showers before I go to the gym so I don't get overheated
    I exercise and then immediately jump into a quick shower just before bed every night. That works for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I miss eating my favorite veggie chips that I get from Costco, rice cakes and those rice chips. Sometimes I just want something salty and I really don't feel like eating more seaweed. I love KFC once in a while...I know so bad for me..
    Pork rinds?

    _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

  10. #70
    PHaselow's Avatar
    PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    725
    Cayla29... I'm a shower before the gym person, too! I love how I feel after a crazy work-out. I wish my back and knee felt the same.

    "Every once in a while" for grain based carbs has to be OK. Or try making kale chips!

    I guess I miss my brown rice the most, now that we are confessing. Wonderful, nutty, chewy, lovely brown rice!

    Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


    "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •