Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What areas of primal/paleo are you having the most difficulty with? page 6

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wine. I feel less than optimal when I have more than 1 glass, sometimes it depends on the wine, 1 glass can make me feel sort of un-good. I'm not trying to loose weight so that's not the problem. Also I really like having more than 1 glass; half a glass while I'm cooking and another half after dinner. Nothing else seems to really go with dinner, I've tried water flavored with lemon, lime or fresh herbs; it just doesn't do it for me.

Paleomom4 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep. my dog will stand stock still and "point" (like a pointer dog even though he's a shelter mutt). Then we sort of slowly advance on the prey and then one last all out sprint. It's like we are hunting as a pack, intuitively communicating. The other people in the park must think I'm completely bonkers.

Even if he doesn't catch the squirrel, he has a sort of bounce in his step afterwards like he is getting in touch with his inner wolf.
    Dogs are so awesome. We have four and I walk them for an hour off leash in the woods every day. I totally feel like we are a pack. I love it.

PrimalKev is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrexec1986 View Post
    My biggest problem is the lack of grains, which I know sounds stupid, but they used to be a big staple in my life. I am still eating crispy rice cereal (generic kind), and I know that it never fills me up yet I continue to down like a whole box in one day because it tastes so good to me with milk or half and half. I have also become a binge eater now since starting this way of life, with the binges being mostly junk food items. I am really trying hard not to binge, but everyday for the last month there seems to be some sort of trigger somewhere that puts me on the binge path. I am trying to figure out what that is. Does anyone care to share any advice on this?
    Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I am not really overweight or anything (6', ~150 lbs). I just don't have a whole lot of fat to burn through. But I do realize that for health's sake, I should definitely go lower carb than what I am doing now. This is especially since my left knee is swollen next to the bottom of my knee cap and won't be able to sprint now for who knows how long.
    Eat more fat! Seriously, if you up your fat at every meal (beyond what you were used to before switching to eating Primal), your carb cravings and binges will literally disappear.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't hurt to try, but fat is not a panacea for everyone. Binges and hunger do not go away for me, no matter how much fat I am using. In fact, the more I am using, the faster I spiral down into a binge. On a pure fat fast it takes only 6 or so hours, by 4 pm, I am ready to kill for a celery stick & if a watermelon happens by, no amount of any reasoning and good judgment is going to stop me. And I get ravenous, and hateful of people going on and on about how staffed they are on 1000 calories a day because they eat all that fat!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-01-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Sleep - I feel lucky - groggy...but lucky to get 5 hours (get up at 4:30) I can't get to bed much before 11 ish. I would like to increase it, of course. but even if I go to bed right after the news, it's still only 6 hrs.

beer/wine - this is one I've decided not to call an issue. I love my wine with dinner, beer at a bbq, or a cold one just 'cause it's f'ing 105 in Iowa.

exercise - I found what I like, what my body responds to...not exactly PB, but something that I love, and what works

Cooking for non-primals - the fam (husb and 13 yo son) eat what I make, and a lot of times I'll just add a few sweet potatos or extra veggies along with the pasta that they want. I don't eat the pasta, I don't make an issue out of it, and consequently they end up taking less of the pasta. However, there are some dishes that they love that I make that are all about family, and tradition and such...so I make it. And I eat it. And I move on.

that's about it -
    forward,
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I am not really overweight or anything (6', ~150 lbs). I just don't have a whole lot of fat to burn through. But I do realize that for health's sake, I should definitely go lower carb than what I am doing now. This is especially since my left knee is swollen next to the bottom of my knee cap and won't be able to sprint now for who knows how long.
    Even normal weight individuals carry over a million calories of body fat. Being able to access that stored energy really takes the edge off cravings. Also, since you said you eat crisped rice with milk, you may be interested to know that milk already has insulin in it and it appears from the elevated insulin response after consuming milk, that it crosses intact into the blood stream, elevating your the insulin in your blood above and beyond what your body produces on its own. This can also cause you to have cravings since as the insulin comes down after such an intense high, you're going to feel a crash.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It doesn't hurt to try, but fat is not a panacea for everyone. Binges and hunger do not go away for me, no matter how much fat I am using. In fact, the more I am using, the faster I spiral down into a binge. On a pure fat fast it takes only 6 or so hours, by 4 pm, I am ready to kill for a celery stick & if a watermelon happens by, no amount of any reasoning and good judgment is going to stop me. And I get ravenous, and hateful of people going on and on about how staffed they are on 1000 calories a day because they eat all that fat!
    The cravings don't just evaporate overnight. For me there was a week of relentless, nearly irresistible cravings, 24 hours a day, that were so vivid and sensual that I wanted to cry in frustration. Also, dizziness and explosive, irrational anger. And this was going down into ketosis from an otherwise perfectly primal diet. After a week, I was fine.

I know it's unpleasant, but a lot of people here make it seem as though cravings = inevitable binging. Like "Oh, I just couldn't help but shove sugar into my face because the craving was really bad!" Yeah. They are cravings. They are supposed to be bad. Your body wants you to eat sugar because it doesn't know what you're doing.

I don't buy into the idea that everybody is different. If you are having cravings for carbs when you reduce carbs, it's because you're a sugar-burner. That's not because "everyone's different", it's because you haven't weathered the storm long enough to reach ketosis. We're all humans and all have the same biological processes. We all have the ability to reach ketosis. Yes, the journey sucks. A lot. But then it doesn't anymore.

Being primal doesn't mean you're not a sugar-burner. And I went through several months of plateaus because of people on this site saying it's perfectly fine to eat more carbs, sweet potatoes are great, dark chocolate is sensible, it's stupid and too-restrictive to not eat fruit, etc. I started out with primal in ketosis. I dropped weight extremely fast. Then as soon as I started eating more primal carbs, I started having cravings for more and more and more carbs. Because my body went right back to sugar-burning based on the crappy advice I got here.

I'm not saying everyone here is trying to, or even should, go for ketosis. But I'm sick of hearing "I can't be a fat-burner because I get cravings." I know. That's the point.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    The diet part isn't really that hard for me (unless I have to cut out dairy - if I don't tolerate dairy, just don't tell me. I. Don't. Want. To. Know). And I love to exercise. The hardest part for me to get dialed in is stress and sleep. I worry about every single silly little thing all the damn time, and I don't get nearly enough good sleep at night (and the TV is usually on for some of it).

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Portion control... I always want to feast :-( it has been killing my attempts at loosing the last 30% of my weight loss goal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I went through several months of plateaus because of people on this site saying it's perfectly fine to eat more carbs, sweet potatoes are great, dark chocolate is sensible, it's stupid and too-restrictive to not eat fruit, etc. I started out with primal in ketosis. I dropped weight extremely fast. Then as soon as I started eating more primal carbs, I started having cravings for more and more and more carbs. Because my body went right back to sugar-burning based on the crappy advice I got here.

I'm not saying everyone here is trying to, or even should, go for ketosis. But I'm sick of hearing "I can't be a fat-burner because I get cravings." I know. That's the point.
    Well said. For some people all that forum "wisdom" about "safe starches" wasn't so wise. For some people there is no such thing as a safe starch.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast