Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What areas of primal/paleo are you having the most difficulty with? page 5

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mrexec1986 View Post
    My biggest problem is the lack of grains, which I know sounds stupid, but they used to be a big staple in my life. I am still eating crispy rice cereal (generic kind), and I know that it never fills me up yet I continue to down like a whole box in one day because it tastes so good to me with milk or half and half. I have also become a binge eater now since starting this way of life, with the binges being mostly junk food items. I am really trying hard not to binge, but everyday for the last month there seems to be some sort of trigger somewhere that puts me on the binge path. I am trying to figure out what that is. Does anyone care to share any advice on this? Also, I find it hard to do low level movement (i.e. walking) everyday outside of work because where I live it is all flat ground and corn fields, which is boring.
    You're binging because your body is still a sugar-burner. And when you try to eat less carbs, it thinks it's starving. So it pushes you to go out and eat sugar and starch and grains because that's what it's running on.

If you go extremely low carb, do a lot of heavy exercise, and resist binging, in about a week or so you'll be a fat burner and you won't have cravings anymore. It SUCKS dealing with the intense cravings and carb flu of pushing down into ketosis, because it literally feels like starvation. But, when you make it through, your body switches to fat burning and starts eating your fat stores, you have sustained energy, your appetite decreases because a portion of your fuel is coming from your own fat, you drop weight easily, and you have no more carb cravings.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

mrexec1986 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    You're binging because your body is still a sugar-burner. And when you try to eat less carbs, it thinks it's starving. So it pushes you to go out and eat sugar and starch and grains because that's what it's running on.

If you go extremely low carb, do a lot of heavy exercise, and resist binging, in about a week or so you'll be a fat burner and you won't have cravings anymore. It SUCKS dealing with the intense cravings and carb flu of pushing down into ketosis, because it literally feels like starvation. But, when you make it through, your body switches to fat burning and starts eating your fat stores, you have sustained energy, your appetite decreases because a portion of your fuel is coming from your own fat, you drop weight easily, and you have no more carb cravings.
    Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I am not really overweight or anything (6', ~150 lbs). I just don't have a whole lot of fat to burn through. But I do realize that for health's sake, I should definitely go lower carb than what I am doing now. This is especially since my left knee is swollen next to the bottom of my knee cap and won't be able to sprint now for who knows how long.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    exercise. hate it when it doesn't have a purpose other than to get me fitter or stronger.
    I agree. This is where a dog comes in handy. He makes me keep up with my walking. But I am lagging on doing the LHT workouts and sprints. Although sometimes my dog and I do "squirrel sprints" in the park, random dashing after those furry little buggers.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrexec1986 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I am not really overweight or anything (6', ~150 lbs). I just don't have a whole lot of fat to burn through. But I do realize that for health's sake, I should definitely go lower carb than what I am doing now. This is especially since my left knee is swollen next to the bottom of my knee cap and won't be able to sprint now for who knows how long.
    Ah, well you can still switch to keto and up your fat intake and it will have the same effect as eating your body fat. It'll still reduce carb cravings and give you consistent energy. I would highly recommend it. I mean, no one likes being a slave to sugar and cravings.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Although sometimes my dog and I do "squirrel sprints" in the park, random dashing after those furry little buggers.

I thought I was the only one. My dog now pulls/lunges less because of this, she now waits to see if I am going to give chase before following me.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    I thought I was the only one. My dog now pulls/lunges less because of this, she now waits to see if I am going to give chase before following me.
    Yep. my dog will stand stock still and "point" (like a pointer dog even though he's a shelter mutt). Then we sort of slowly advance on the prey and then one last all out sprint. It's like we are hunting as a pack, intuitively communicating. The other people in the park must think I'm completely bonkers.

Even if he doesn't catch the squirrel, he has a sort of bounce in his step afterwards like he is getting in touch with his inner wolf.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would trade my drive to go to the gym for keeping eating under control on high fat/low carb any day. I dunno why, I am running to the gym to lift, happy as a clam, but every time I face the food issue, it is a huge struggle. How can a person who has enough will to squat up a heavy barbell or go to the gym after work despite the tiny voice wanting to go home not being able to resist popping a cherry into her mouth? Hurray to everyone who has eating dialed in!!!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

KatieCHI is offline Member
    The food is so good that I actually get sad when I'm finished eating.
    Fruit tastes like candy so I want to EAT ALL THE FRUIT.
    Also, family thinks I'm killing myself (Them: how about you eat just a little bread?) ... Even though I've said wheat gives me migraines besides the whole being evil thing.

aaaaand ice cream.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Money. My store cut everybody's hours, so we are making less than last year. So after paying my bills, I have like $50-100 left. I try to hit the store and buy discounted produce and put some in the freezer. I love avocados, but they are like $1.50 each

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tend to have issues with overeating/binging. For me, it is not realistic to stay 100% primal for the rest of my life. I think that there will be situations where a piece of chocolate is alright, or half a piece of cake is okay for a special one time celebration. However... its very very very easy for me to take this to the next level... the piece of chocolate becomes the whole bar and the piece of cake becomes 2-3 slices of cake in a sitting.

So what I'm doing currently is avoiding any treat for 30 days. I need to get all this sugar out of my system so that I don't crave it as badly.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast