Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 9

SAdams is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    This is what the book "It Starts with Food" says about Stevia and artificial sweeteners:

"Because the sweetness of sugar is addicting, eating an excess amount is easy. The more sugar we eat, the more we get acclimated to hgh levels and the more we want. Artificial sweeteners may be even more problematic because they are designed to deliver a sweetness hit that is far beyond what you could ever find in nature." pg 89

"These artificial sweeteners provide taste and reward sensations the likes of which we (biologically) have never before experienced, burning our taste buds (and pleasure centers) out on stimuli that are simply otherworldly. It thus becomes harder and harder for us to experience the same level of pleasure and reward that we did the lsat time we ate them - and makes it darn near impossible to appreciate the antural flavors found in fresh foods." pg 90

"Nutra-sweet, Equal, Splenda, stevia - none is any more "natural" than the shoes on your feet right now. Some are derived from nature, but after chemical processing, Splenda has more in common with pesticides than table sugar. (And stevia isn't any better. We dare you to find a stevia leaf and chew on it for a while. It ain't that sweet. At least, not until it's refined into white crystals in a laboratory somewhere.)" pg. 92
    I love this book but must say that a stevia leaf is very sweet when you chew on it, my sisters MIL gave me a stevia plant after I read this book so I had to try it out and I would say it is just as sweet if not sweeter than sugar. And I agree that all the processing it goes through is in now way good for you.

zinnia is offline Member
    I'd like to join in. I'm hoping to get a good start on that elusive "last ten pounds" and hopefully address some dermatitis issues. Looking forward to doing this with you all!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried stevia (or a stevia leaf) so I cannot comment on it's sweetness. Despite what they say about how the stevia plant isn't sweet until chemically processed, I agree with their point about eliminating "added" sweetness of any kind to break the habit of requiring sweetness to eat. I have to eliminate fruit this month b/c I substituted fruit for sugar and never slayed the sugar dragon, and therefore continued to have sugar cravings which caused me to overconsume fruit and stalled my weight loss. This W30 is probably going to be my hardest one yet.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

islandwahine is offline Member
    I'm in... I've done whole30 last month and really enjoyed it. I do however struggle during my TOM. Starting off with a small appetite and no cravings to wanting to eat everything in the house. This month I was craving rice, nuts and fruit. I allowed myself some rice with sushi and ate too many fruits mostly bananas and nuts. This will be my challenge but I think if I stock up on sweet potatoes and have better fruits on hand such as berries i'll do much better.

Walking the kids to the bus stop in the morning and afternoons allows me to get in my slow movement. It's about 2 miles of walking a day. I have 1 day of LHT and 1 day of sprints. I like my routine so far however on August 20th I will begin school and this will all change. I'm looking into joining some exercise classes 2x a week while i'm at school or finding a walking path just to keep active.

About ME:
    26 years old
    5 feet 2 inches
    SW:160 lbs GW at the end of W30:155-150lbs

SAdams is offline Member
    I am in. Started this morning and is going good so far. I have been slipping back into my old ways and am really wanting to get my binging under control/stopped this month. I have had problems with binging since my son was born 4 year ago, before that I had dropped 60 pounds by not eating unless it was something like lettuce with lemon juice. My biggest problem right now is sugar and bbq potato chips which I will have none of for this 30 and after. I thought not having cream in my coffee would be hard but had some iced black coffee this morning and it was really good.

SAdams is offline Member
    Jenn, I completely agree with you and the book about added sweeteners. The only reason I took the plant was because i had read the book and was curious as to how the leaves actually tasted, appart from that first tast I havent done anything with the plant but water, not quite sure what to do with it. I also need to watch my fruit intake this whole30 because the last one started to derail when I started eating fruit daily. I am not much of a fruit eater but when summer time comes it is hard for me to stay away from the watermelon, peaches and cherries.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAdams View Post
    I am not much of a fruit eater but when summer time comes it is hard for me to stay away from the watermelon, peaches and cherries.
    mmmm watermelon! That's my fruit too. I justified it by saying it's mostly water and a little bit of cellulose, and that was fine until it stalled my weight loss (this is why I weigh daily - so I can see trends like this). I could eat watermelon all day long and not bat an eye at it b/c who argues the health benefit of fruit??? Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my fruit for 30 days. I think I'll survive.

Right now, however, I'm having a case of the munchies, and I think it's a sweet craving, so I'm going to grab a small handful of almonds and eat those instead - like the book says - eat anything but something sweet.

I love the book. It's my version of the Bible. I carry it with me everywhere - no joke.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    I totally understand that. Just quite a few people said they had huge cravings, or mood swings. I was just wondering if they were severely cutting their food choices or if they hadn't been Primal prior. It just doesn't seem all that more restrictive than Primal to begin with. Unless 20% ends up a lot more than 20% which is what leads you to it, in which case it'd make sense that you'd end up going through sugar withdrawals all over again.
    My mood swings previously may have had nothing to do with going Whole30/paleo. Years ago, I was on an antidepressant; about two decades ago, I was on a bipolar med. Light doses for both; temporary for both. I think that food choices have simply exacerbated an imbalance already there. Stress, too.

So for the past month, I've been futzing around with baby steps. Cutting back/avoiding wheat and most grains. Slowly cutting back sugar. Increasing exercise. Taking vitamins. Walking. So over the course of these past four weeks, I've been making incremental changes. I'm in a very good place emotionally and feeling good physically, so I'm going to do my best with Whole30 (which I started two days ago, and so far, so good). Should my emotions start getting out of kilter, I'll do my best to determine the cause (bad news? Stress? Really from the diet?) and stick with Whole30.

I already see some upcoming challenges -- my friend will be cooking dinner this Saturday night; hopefully, grilled chicken, so if I scrape off any marinade, I'll look the other way and say I did my best with what was offered. I'll probably eat a larger lunch that day so that I won't be very hungry later. And saying no to booze will be easy, as I will be the designated driver.

Anyway. I'm giving this an honest shot -- potential mood swings be damned.

Inksplat is offline Member
    For people who maybe want a liiittle sweetness in their lives, I really recommend Paleo Diet Lifestyle's Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette. Its been my go-to salad dressing. Super delicious.

Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette | Paleo Diet Lifestyle
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Right now, however, I'm having a case of the munchies, and I think it's a sweet craving, so I'm going to grab a small handful of almonds and eat those instead - like the book says - eat anything but something sweet.
    I'm not cutting fruit for this Whole30. I am, however, being mindful of the fruit I eat. Yesterday wasn't a LHT day, so I was lower carb and higher fat (macadamias, yum! celery in almond butter, double yum!). Today was a LHT day at CrossFit, so it's a higher carb day/lower fat for me. I just had a snack of an apple -- my first fruit of the day -- and I'll probably have a 1/2 cup of blueberries tonight. (And I'll have a sweet potato with dinner.)

Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast