Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 8

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Minky, in It Starts with Food, it says that even if you're not hungry for breakfast, you need to eat anyway - within an hour of waking. Not being hungry is a sign that your leptin and cortisol are goofy. They say that eating within an hour of waking will help to reset your leptin and cortisol cues, which helps dial in other hormones. I'll see if I can find the passage in the book and post it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Great resources Minky! I will add those to the first post as well. I also find it hard to make myself eat breakfast sometimes. But when I time it, it really only adds about 15-20 minutes tops for me to get the pan out and cook up some scrambled eggs and eat them. I'll even do other stuff like get dressed while the pan is heating up. Another good tip is to cook a large batch of eggs ahead of time and just reheat in the morning. Scrambled eggs keep surprisingly well in the fridge!
    -Chuck

Ok they call breakfast "meal 1". the only reason for doing that is so that you don't fall into the trap of believing and eggs and bacon are only for breakfast and steaks are only for dinner.

Here's the passage on "meal 1".

"As for Meal 1, don't put it off for too long, even if you're not hungry. If you're not hungry first thing in the morning, that tells us that your hormones are off. And one of the best ways to get those hormones back in line is to eat something in the morning, when it's biologically appropriate.

Ideally, eat Meal 1 within an hour of waking. It doesn't matter whether you wake at 6 a.m. for your day job or 3 p.m. for shift work - wake, then eat*. This is important.

Remember, leptin has a daily rhythm tied to your eating schedule. Which means that if you start eating too late in the day, your entire leptin pattern can be thrown off. Which means that at night, when leptin should be high, it won't be. And cortisol, correlated with leptin dysfunction, will tend to make you crave more food. usually not the good kind, either. Which means that you'll be prowling through your pantry or freezer after dinner looking for a snack. Which leads to more hormonal disruption." pg 185-185.

"*If you exercise shortly after waking, your schedule will look a little different. We'll cover additional recommendations for fueling higher activity levels in Chapter 21."

I haven't read chapter 21 yet, so I don't have anything to share regarding that little bit of info at the end.

Minky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Minky, in It Starts with Food, it says that even if you're not hungry for breakfast, you need to eat anyway - within an hour of waking. Not being hungry is a sign that your leptin and cortisol are goofy. They say that eating within an hour of waking will help to reset your leptin and cortisol cues, which helps dial in other hormones. I'll see if I can find the passage in the book and post it.
    Thanks! I will definitely try it for 30 days. I can always go back to my primal IF type eating, if that seems to work better for me. But it's been such a struggle to get my weight down, I am interested in trying something different! I am about 15 lbs overweight and 44 y/o female. I just started adding the prison cell workout to my routine, in addtion to already doing lots of walking. Still need to add a sprint day, too. I would really love to be lean instead of so pudgy!

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    I'm in!! I have been getting off track with cheese and butter and know if I cut it out and just focus on whole paleo foods I can lose this last 10# most of which this month and hopefully get my sleep back to normal as well.
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Great resources Minky! I will add those to the first post as well. I also find it hard to make myself eat breakfast sometimes. But when I time it, it really only adds about 15-20 minutes tops for me to get the pan out and cook up some scrambled eggs and eat them. I'll even do other stuff like get dressed while the pan is heating up. Another good tip is to cook a large batch of eggs ahead of time and just reheat in the morning. Scrambled eggs keep surprisingly well in the fridge!
    Boiled eggs require no reheating at all.

Another option is to make egg muffins

1 muffin pan
    1/2 lb bacon
    1/2 green pepper
    1/2 onion
    12 eggs

Chop veggies and place in bottom of muffin trays. Chop bacon and cook til *almost* done. Spoon bacon and bacon grease into muffin trays with veggies. Fill muffin tin about half way with egg mixture. Bake at 400 degrees in 5 min increments until eggs are done. Carefully run a knife around the edges. Place in storage container in fridge. Keeps for about a week.

This was 4 breakfasts for me. 3 "muffins" each. And you can use any veggie you want. I just prefer peppers and onions. Ham would work too, but the bacon grease is important b/c it helps your "muffins" not stick to the pan, plus it's a wonderful added fat.

you could probably even grease your pans with coconut oil if you wanted to.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes the egg muffins are awesome. Btw I highly recommend using silicone baking cups to make them. So much easier to clean up.
    -Chuck

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Sophie I went on a first date and didn't drink and even skipped the bread (which looked/smelled great). She was an amazing woman and we had a great time. My lack of bread eating / drink actually made a great conversation starter. She was impressed with the success I'd had. Just don't go overboard jawing about it as I've noticed some people's eyes will glaze over quickly :P
    This is first date at a wine bar. Happy hour. Yeah. This nice man knows I'm actually quite fond of vino.
    Alas, there will be no bread to skip, and quite frankly, I'd look a damn fool agreeing to meet there then ordering club soda. It's a date I made last week, before committing to Whole30. Glad you found an nice exception to the rule, though.

I'm totally with you on not talking about paleo/primal with anyone who doesn't bring it up first. I did that a lot at first, and probably turned many people off.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    What are you guys eating that you get so obsessed with food? I mean..if you're already Primal, the only thing you're giving up is dairy, right? For me, all I had to do was switch to cooking in Coconut Oil rather than butter, and not drop cheese into my eggs and such.
    I'd like to clarify that my personal reason for attempting a Whole30 is simply to change my relationship with food. Twenty percent is honestly too much of a bad thing for me. I think everyone who does this has a mission in doing so, and are not approaching this with a "diet" mentality.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Inksplat is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    I'd like to clarify that my personal reason for attempting a Whole30 is simply to change my relationship with food. Twenty percent is honestly too much of a bad thing for me. I think everyone who does this has a mission in doing so, and are not approaching this with a "diet" mentality.
    I totally understand that. Just quite a few people said they had huge cravings, or mood swings. I was just wondering if they were severely cutting their food choices or if they hadn't been Primal prior. It just doesn't seem all that more restrictive than Primal to begin with. Unless 20% ends up a lot more than 20% which is what leads you to it, in which case it'd make sense that you'd end up going through sugar withdrawals all over again.
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast