Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 64

Primegal is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 30 today & can't believe it is almost done. Felt like I was cruising on auto pilot most of the time (which went by quickly).

For some reason the last few days have been the toughest. I have been feeling waves of detox sluggishness, toxicity, fatigue, headaches, irritability etc. Maybe I am still detoxing? I keep hearing toxins are stored in body fat, & when we lose weight the toxins are released into the bloodstream. So does this mean we keep detoxing until we stop losing weight? How long could this go on for?

Whole 9 (who created W30) posted this article yesterday, which I found most comforting & encouraging (especially now the scales seem stuck).

174,203 Ways to Measure Health (Besides the Scale) | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

I think there is something in this for all of us.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I have heard the same about antidepressants being stored in fat too, and was told this is why I still periodically experience withdrawal symptoms despite not taking them for over 2 months. If I'd kept it up, I'd be at day 31 today.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

zinnia is offline Member
    Last day, woohoo! I admit that I am a bit nervous about the training wheels coming off, especially since I think I am still dealing with some inflammation issues - i.e. the dermatitis that won't go away But I am excited that tomorrow I finally get to weigh myself and see if I made any progress (stupidly, I didn't take measurements at the outset). I would be thrilled if I even lost just 2 or 3 real pounds. I know the other benefits of the whole30 are myriad, but I still want that mathematical affirmation. Now that I've given up grains, legumes, added sugars, and most distressingly, dairy, maybe that bit of CW is the last thing I still can't let go.

I think we're all interested in the scale in some manner or another. I haven't taken my measurements yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Ok... final weight 189 no change there...

Measurements say differently, though...

Waist: nc
    Butt: 1 inch loss
    Pelvis: nc
    Thigh: nc
    Neck: nc
    Forearm: nc
    Wrist: nc
    Bicep: 0.25 inches lost
    Belly: 2.25 inches lost!!

Total loss: 3.5 inches with zero weight loss.

Body fat change: 1/2% with no weight loss.

[QUOTE=jenn26point2;936917]I'm still here struggling to maintain W30 compliance. Yesterday was another bad day... it was probably 75/25 primal. Breakfast contained bad fats I'm sure, as we had breakfast at a local cafe (read grease bomb for CW folk). I got into the gluten free cookies again. Have no fear... they're gone now. Other poor choice was ice cream with mt dew. The good and bad of that is that I didn't eat as much as I usually do, and had dew left in the can (like half a can). I tried to drink the dew when I was done and (this is where the good comes in), I thought it was kind of gross. It certainly didn't taste good to me, so I dumped it. That also makes me sad b/c i'll miss my dew.

Hi Jenn, not sure if you have read what the W30 program is about, but GF cookies, Mountain Dew, icecream, bad oils etc are not permitted 25%+ or any of the time. I'm not sure why you would be expecting any weight loss, when you haven't actually followed the program. I find your posts about eating junk food & not losing weight while struggling on your W30 insensitive to those of us who are genuinely here following the W30 (which is not easy) & to support eachother. You are clearly not following a W30, so why would you come to a place where people are, and post about eating junk food & tell us you are not losing weight?

Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
    Last day, woohoo! I admit that I am a bit nervous about the training wheels coming off, especially since I think I am still dealing with some inflammation issues - i.e. the dermatitis that won't go away But I am excited that tomorrow I finally get to weigh myself and see if I made any progress (stupidly, I didn't take measurements at the outset). I would be thrilled if I even lost just 2 or 3 real pounds. I know the other benefits of the whole30 are myriad, but I still want that mathematical affirmation. Now that I've given up grains, legumes, added sugars, and most distressingly, dairy, maybe that bit of CW is the last thing I still can't let go.
    Good luck Zinnia!!! Can't wait to hear how you & Jackie & anyone else who has stayed W30 compliant for 30 days actually ended up. Also would be great to know how you plan to move forward. I have made huge progress but still have a ways to go with inflammatory & metabolic conditions. Scared to undo all the good work by reverting back.. will post my W30 round up later too. Congrats on seeing it through!! Feels like a big (& very healthy) accomplishment :-)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Primegal View Post
    Hi Jenn, not sure if you have read what the W30 program is about, but GF cookies, Mountain Dew, icecream, bad oils etc are not permitted 25%+ or any of the time. I'm not sure why you would be expecting any weight loss, when you haven't actually followed the program. I find your posts about eating junk food & not losing weight while struggling on your W30 insensitive to those of us who are genuinely here following the W30 (which is not easy) & to support eachother. You are clearly not following a W30, so why would you come to a place where people are, and post about eating junk food & tell us you are not losing weight?
    Perhaps I am just being defensive or overly sensitive, but this seems like a rather rude and unsupportive response to me. When someone is struggling is not the time to tell them to go away, it's a time to offer support so they can come back onboard when they are ready to.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Hey folks, I guess it's almost officially over so I thought I'd share my overall experience and data nerdery

Starting weight 245
    Pants 38" pants were a little snug

(all the numbers here are averages over the given time)

Days 1-16 (cleanest I have eaten in a long time)
    1929 calories, 127 fat, 133 protein, 77 carbs
    10 days of exercise, varying from lifting, hiking, walking, and running
    Day 17 morning weight: 233
    Pants: 38" pants were fitting properly (I'd guess about 1" loss)

Days 17-24 (i.e. insano crazy binge week)
    4260 calories, 238 fat, 152 protein, 419 carbs
    Zero exercise, period
    Day 25 morning weight: 246
    Pants: 38" pants were a little more snug than at the start (I'd guess about 1" gain)

Days 25-30 (slight recovery from crazy week, and back to 80/20 primal, but still bad on some days)
    2778 calories, 166 fat, 133 protein, 159 carbs
    3 days of exercise, lifting, interval sprints, swimming
    Day 30 weight: 242
    Pants: 38" pants strangely tighter than after crazy week (I'd guess another 1/4" gain)

Lessons learned
    • In my own case, perhaps trying to go Whole30 was just a little too strict for me to follow
    • My loss from "clean" 2 weeks was 8 lbs in the first three days, then 3 lbs the following thirteen, leading me to believe that ~8lbs is my +/- water gain/loss based on carb/grain consumption changes
    • My gain from crazy week was 9 lbs in the first three days, it correlates almost perfectly with the previous statement, just in reverse
    • Adding dairy back in during "recovery" week resulted in zero change in digestion whatsoever, so dairy is probably 100% cool for me (and good because it's tasty and helps me stay full)
    • Not too surprisingly, adding the evil grains back and in huge amounts during "crazy" week resulted in my feeling like absolute garbage, hard time sleeping, no energy, etc
    • Having moderate grain consumption (i.e. a burger including the bun, occasional corn chips, etc) during "recovery" week resulted in a little less energy than I recall having in full 80/20 primal, but was manageable.
    • I found that I felt great during days 1-16, but the strictness began to take its toll mentally, and it was really difficult for me to get variety and enjoy cooking
    • I really need to pay more attention to the base primal exercise like lifting, sprinting, and super long walks
    • I definitely see great value in sticking out the full Whole30, if you have the discipline to do so!
    -Chuck

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Chuck,

Why not start anew tomorrow with the September Whole 30 thread that's going on? I feel for ya, that's a rough month, however now you've seen how fast that water weight comes off at first. You can do it, just need a little support!!!

Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast