Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 55

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey all. Man, I have been slipping. I'd say I'm about 90% compliant most days. Friday I had some Wishbone Western dressing. Same with Saturday lunch. Had a couple pieces of candy at the parade and a Freezer Pop... oh, and 4 Girl Scout Thank You cookies... *sigh* Sunday I had a few little handfuls of Chocolate Rice Chex. I'm finding myself being drawn back to the SAD lifestyle, even though I'm fighting ferociously. Mainly, I'm drawn by things like cookies and cereal.

I need to rein it back in. Like now. Ok, done.

Friday I bought a watermelon. It sucked. Yesterday I bought a half watermelon. It's delicious. Yucky watermelon has been fed to the garbage disposal. Since buying the watermelon, I've lost a pound. FINALLY!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

janie is offline Senior Member
    Cleocat-
    I'm a novice at this too, but reading the chapter on dairy in "It Starts With Food" convinced me that I had to ditch it in order to do Whole30 correctly and get the results. What about some coconut milk in your coffee?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Making ghee feels like such a waste right now. I'm on a really tight budget at the moment and I end up with less than half of what I started with when I make ghee from butter. I don't want to keep buying more butter to clarify (I haven't been able to find ghee locally, either), I don't want to buy coconut oil because I don't like the taste/smell, and I don't want to cook everything in olive oil, so I might start eating butter again.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    What are you "straining" your ghee through? I use cheese cloth folded so that there are like 6 layers to catch the stuff, after I pick most of it out with a spoon. I place the cheese cloth in a strainer to maintain stability. I find a cheese cloth absorbs less than paper towels. I now use it to strain my bacon grease now too b/c I'd lose a lot in the paper towels.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Fabulous stick-with-it-ness, Jackie!!
    Last edited by KerryK; 08-20-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling ... Once again!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Second the idea of coconut milk in the coffee. Or even blend it with some ghee for a poor-man's bulletproof coffee, maybe?

Jenn -- it sounds like you may feel like you're depriving yourself. Would it be crazy for a day to go non-primal and enjoy cereal, milk, pizza, ice cream, what have you, to get the cravings out and then get back on the wagon? Just a thought. Primal (not Whole30) is supposed to be a lifestyle, so there's no cheating - some days are more primal than others, that's all. Maybe what you need is one day of 100% non-primal to satisfy any lingering cravings.

Again, just a thought. This might be triggering instead of empowering, so do whatever works best for you.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Ate an apple as a mid-morning snack, and now I'm off to CF for strength-training Monday. Rah!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    What are you "straining" your ghee through? I use cheese cloth folded so that there are like 6 layers to catch the stuff, after I pick most of it out with a spoon. I place the cheese cloth in a strainer to maintain stability. I find a cheese cloth absorbs less than paper towels. I now use it to strain my bacon grease now too b/c I'd lose a lot in the paper towels.
    True that I lost a lot more with paper towels than I did with cheese cloth (I probably need to fold it over more, I was still ended up with a lot of sediment even after spooning stuff off before pouring). I should probably just suck it up and make one more batch with a Kerrygold stick and cheese cloth (though I think I'm out of cheese cloth too haha).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    quick side note on the cheese cloth, how in the world do you guys cut the stuff without getting a million little strands everywhere?
    -Chuck

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I should give the coconut milk/coffee combo a second go. I figured I've made so many diet and lifestyle changes over the last year and a half, I'll probably do okay cream free for a month.
    I use coffee filter to strain butter when making ghee.

Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast