Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 52

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm just looking at what has changed between the time that I was losing and now. It baffles me that I can go from steadily losing 10 lbs in 23 days, then 10 lbs in 25 days to absolutely NOTHING for the following 19 days. I refuse to accept that I've plateaued and there's nothing I can do about it. The only change in the beginning of the last 19 days was the elimination of fruit from my diet, which I then added back in, but I added berries and pineapple. Previous to the start of this whole30, I ate watermelon and no other fruits.

This whole Primal thing started back in March as an experiement. I see this as another experiment to see what makes my body happy.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Jen, you absolutely must accept that you can plateau and there's nothing you can do about it. You've managed to lose 20 lbs in 50 days which is amazing. Especially if you consider the % of body weight that is. Keep doing what works, the plateau will break I promise. Plateaus will happen and do not necessarily mean you're doing something wrong. During my entire 115 lb loss so far, I plateaued at least every couple of months, and that plateau would last at least a month, if not three or four. I promise you a cup of water per day from eating up watermelon is not what's making you plateau. Stay the course! Don't be in such a rush!

You're absolutely right in that this is experimentation, we're all doing science here with our own bodies. So in that experiment, is it best to shuffle around the variables every couple of days and get upset about lack of results? Or best to have a nice month long consistent sample size so that you really find a good understanding of what works best for you? At this point in the W30 "experiment" I've kinda learned that I probably don't need to cut dairy and that it wasn't bothering me at all. But I'm still going to avoid it and continue the full 30 days. Same with my occasional beers.
    -Chuck

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Jenn, this stall may be a healing period for your body. Maybe there's some inflammation or other damage that's going to work itself out, before your body accepts weight loss. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Are you sprinting?

Why Sprinting is Essential | Mark's Daily Apple

I know you're in training for a half, but maybe the longer runs are sabotaging your weight loss efforts right now. I used to be a distance runner, a low-fat, oatmeal-for-bfast, skinless-chikn-boob-eatin' runner who could run well, but always had that last 5 pounds slowing her down. I eventually had to quit due to chronic overtraining injuries. I miss it, but see now that Mark's right about the inflammation issues of distance running.

Just a thought. I know it's dangerous to suggest less running to a Runner!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Sophie, I'm not training yet. So far, the running I have been doing could be considered "sprinting". I run 2 mins at a comfortable pace, then walk 1 minute for a max of 30 min currently.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Chuck is wise. Very wise. Hang in there, Jenn. Think of the plateau as your body taking a moment to just breathe. Let it get used to this new normal -- 20 pounds lighter normal -- and then it will start readjusting. Even though it takes a caloric deficit to lose weight, it isn't as simple as Calories In, Calories Out. Be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Mornin' folks, TGIF! Officially down 12 lbs since the 1st (although again, I'm sure 8 or so at least was water). Two more weeks to go everyone! I can see the beer.. er... light at the end of the tunnel! :P
    That is AWESOME, Chuck! How far are you from your GW?

This is Day 19 for me. And the food part has been...easy. How freakish is that? This time, for whatever the reason, I'm having no problems on Whole30. The only real issue I have is sheer exhaustion -- and I think most of that is from my ancient cat (19) meowing at all hours and getting me up for the day by 5:30 am (if not earlier) no matter what. Sigh.

I've been holding steady at about a 6 pound loss; some days it's a bit more, others it's a bit less. But I've been steadily losing inches on my hips - as of today, down officially 1.25". I'm thrilled.

Did a 5.5 mile walk this am; skipping CF today because I'm just wrecked. I may take a nap instead.

I think the added activities for me this week have finally caught up with me. Today's run was a little more labor intensive than what they'd been like earlier in the week. Might be because I'm running in a ketogenic state too.

I second your suggestion of taking a nap, Jackie.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    To be completely honest I have no idea what my goal weight will be. I go in and get my body fat% done about every six months, and would like to get down to around 18-20%. But given the last two measurements that makes it seem like I have a long way to go (or a lot of muscle to gain). The last two measurements were:
    1/25/2012: 36.9% 252 lbs total
    6/12/2012: 33.1% 234 lbs total (I then went on vacation, gained up to 245, and as of today am 233)

So from that last measurement, even if I were to gain a full 10 lbs of muscle (which is a ton), that would put me at 200 lbs if I wanted to get to 20%. That just seems nuts and I never even considered that I'd get that low. It doesn't feel like I should have another 33 lbs to lose, but maybe so.
    -Chuck

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    The only real issue I have is sheer exhaustion -- and I think most of that is from my ancient cat (19) meowing at all hours and getting me up for the day by 5:30 am (if not earlier) no matter what. Sigh.
    I battled this issue with my cats and have succeeded - first off, make sure she has whatever she needs for food/drink to last through the night, just so you know she doesn't have an actual reason to pester you. Second, get a spray bottle, put it by your bed, and make the commitment to get up and spray her when she wakes you up in the morning. As much as I wanted to just keep lying in bed, the week of getting out and spraying them resulted in blissful silence every morning for years and years.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I battled this issue with my cats and have succeeded - first off, make sure she has whatever she needs for food/drink to last through the night, just so you know she doesn't have an actual reason to pester you. Second, get a spray bottle, put it by your bed, and make the commitment to get up and spray her when she wakes you up in the morning. As much as I wanted to just keep lying in bed, the week of getting out and spraying them resulted in blissful silence every morning for years and years.
    I hugely appreciate this suggestion. And if my cat weren't 19, I'd do it. But she's so old. I don't want to do anything that's going to confuse her. I know, I know: I'm a total sap.

Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast