Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 5

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I am IN starting Aug 2nd (thurs). And I'm surprised how jazzed I am about it!

phigment is offline Senior Member

Red face

I m in. This will be my first. I plan to get the candy bar/soda monkeys off my back. That pair is ever so persistent and keeps vying for my attention. With eating clean as possible I hope to keep them distracted and they will fall off and get lost.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I'm in. I did one in July (ended on the 24th) and took this past weekend off to have sushi and ice cream cake for my sons' birthday.

I started back 100% w30 yesterday. I lost approx 15lbs for my last w30, and I'm hoping this time I continue to see improvements in my health and my body composition.

I'm really loving not having the sugar cravings. And I'm pretty thrilled that even a few "offplan" meals didn't completely de-rail me.

My SO is doing it with me for August. Big step for him. I'm really excited to see his progress as well!!

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Glad to see many on board! I hadn't done one in over a year and figured it was time to "renew my vows" so to speak since I'd been allowing too many special occasions to get the better of me. Huge test for me already as a local brewery is releasing their limited release (once a year) beer tomorrow! I might get some and just keep it safe until Sept 1 I'm going mega strict this time. Even tossed my ketchup!
    -Chuck

cyanne is offline Junior Member
    I'm in too. I have fallen into some pretty unhealthy habits since losing my job and staying home with my 15 year old son who definitely is NOT eating Primal. This has resulting in a nasty 10 pound weight gain. I may even try and get my husband to do this too.

Minky is offline Member
    I am considering trying the Whole 30. Cream in my coffee will be hard. But the hardest part, I think, would be what to put on meat. For my 80/20, I use things like Trader Joe's ketsup on my meat. Or Trader Joe's peanut dressing. I try to only use a little, and it flavors my whole dish of meat and veg, and turns it into something so yummy. I don't really like the taste of meat plain. I can eat a grassfed burger every day, but currently that's with cheese and ketsup. A plain burger kinda makes me gag.

Any ideas?

Also, do you recommend reading the book before trying the Whole 30? I have been primal for a couple of years. So I see it as giving up the dairy and 20% for 30 days.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You can look for horseradish or mustard w/o added crap (relatively easy to find), or make your own kick-ass marinara sauce that is far nicer than ketsup. Just roast some canned tomatoes with onions, garlic, add a touch of lemon juice, dry mustard, pineapple and ground fennel seed, throw in a bit of basil (or not), thicken with tomato paste and zoop up. Keep in the fridge for up to a month if it lasts that long. If you want something more bbq flavored, add a bit more tangy fruit (mango or pinapple) and some strongly brewed coffee to your tomato mix, and maybe gril/broil some peppers to throw in.

You can also go Italian or Bulgarian and make grilled eggplant, carrots, onions, garlic, peppers and tomatoes antipasti or lecho.

Or fresh pickle and mush some garlic. or roast garlic and mush it.... or mush avocado into one of gazillion version of guacamole.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-01-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Minky;
    Try mixing chopped garlic, onion etc. salt and pepper in your ground meat first. I also like chopped ginger and cilantro for a more Asian type mix. Plenty of flavor and Paleo--for Mexican, try grinding up a little roasted chili and cumin. Grilling always makes meat better as well--and you can roast veggies at the same time.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I posted this on the other August challenge thread too... adding it here just 'cuz.

I am IN IN IN.

I need to reboot, so I'm joining and making my goals public for accountability. Here is the basic outline, but I've fleshed it out in a spreadsheet (I like checking things off and crossing things out, so satisfying!)

GOALS FOR AUGUST - "FEMS"

- Food. *Whole 30.
    - Exercise. *Mark's PB Fitness !
    - Mind. *Meditate 10 minutes a day. *Write 1 hr a day.
    - SLEEP. *Goal 7-8 hrs per night. In bed by 10 pm lights out before 11 pm.

First time seriously doing most of the above. Today it begins!

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Minky I second missblue's suggestion. I love to do chopped onions & garlic as toppings. I'll tend to reuse the bacon drippings and saute a large batch of onions & garlic and then save them in the fridge for later use throughout the week.

I've also made lots of variations on what I call "italian" chili as ways to spice up my ground beef. Chopped tomatoes and tomato paste along with the onions & garlic and whatever else I have laying around (like jalepenos or home roasted red peppers) can spice it up enough so as I don't get bored with plain old ground beef. Normally I'd also reduce the sauce with a bit of white wine or vodka but obviously that's out for August
    -Chuck

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast