Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 43

nopie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The scale and my clothes are showing basically no progress. Im really.getting discouraged. This is day 15!

And i did a w30 in July!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I am on day 15 and I haven't lost a single effing pound... this is unusual. With my first two attempts at W30 (June for 23 days and July for 25 days) I lost 10 lbs each. To go 15 days and not lose a single pound has me baffled. Especially when I'm doing exactly as I did with the other two. I even went into ketosis at the beginning of this one when I cut fruit and haven't seen ANY results on the scale.

I'm not lifting so it's not weight loss = muscle gain, thus no sign of change on the scale... I'm literally doing nothing different than I did with the first two. This boggles my mind. Surely, this is the start of a plateau...

So, I guess that means I have to change things up... in most cases, when Paleo, people will say "bust a plateau with a Whole30", but when you're already doing one... Literally, the only things in my diet are meats, veggies, fruits (minimal), coconut milk, coconut oil, and bacon grease (cooking eggs and green beans only). Seriously! What else is there to do? I don't want to be at 189 forever, even if I am only 7 lbs heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight and wearing pre-pregnancy pants.

I'm going to the gym today. Going to start doing HIIT and weights BFL style. That better work. On August 31, I had better weigh less than I do today. I'm aiming for a body fat in the 20's and that's not going to happen if the scale doesn't budge...

And this whole no weight loss thing isn't helping my W30 become any easier. This has been the most difficult W30 yet. I've wanted to break it many times, but haven't simply because my SIL is doing her first and I want to be there to help her through it, while following the same rules. It would be uncool of me to coach her about how the W30 is all a mindset thing while munching on a dark chocolate bar... ya know? And of course, she's on day 13 so she's still going through some withdrawal stuff and experiencing the blues that come with that. The psychological aspect of the W30 is so difficult, and then to have zero weight loss with it is just draining!!

I know this is why they tell us to avoid the scale b/c so many other things are likely going on regardless of weight loss or not, but seriously! How do you explain two 10 lb losses back to back and then zero lbs of loss with the 3rd. Makes no sense.

Hopefully some gym time will help.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I had been on a similar plateau and kinda went that "extra mile" literally the last couple days. I think that helped a lot. I won't say I broke the plateau but definitely going in the right direction. Honestly I don't think you can expect change so quickly. Especially if you're on the tail end of losing. I know when I started out at like 350 lbs, I'd drop 20-30 lbs in a month easily. That's not going to happen now that I'm in the 230s. It's going to be a tough fight for every last inch of waist, every % point of body fat, etc. Don't get so discouraged! It's a whole THIRTY for a reason!

Also don't forget this isn't simply a lose weight thing, where you drop the ten you need to and then go on your merry way. To me it's more of a "reset button" on my discipline levels (which previously had gone by the wayside). Keep it going guys and don't worry about the scale so much!
    -Chuck

But I'm not at the end... I'm in the middle. I still have 40+ lbs to lose.

I know it's not a weight loss thing, but it works great for it. And when you've seen steady weight loss during two previous W30's, then do a 3rd and get NOTHING all of a sudden, it's irritating and really makes zero sense.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    saw this in my work email today (they have little "lunch & learn" classes sometimes). Wonder if i should go and be a pest
    do it! :d

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    But I'm not at the end... I'm in the middle. I still have 40+ lbs to lose.

I know it's not a weight loss thing, but it works great for it. And when you've seen steady weight loss during two previous W30's, then do a 3rd and get NOTHING all of a sudden, it's irritating and really makes zero sense.
    Maybe your body has gotten acclimated to the Whole30 and has settled into a plateau. Do you do fat heavy/carb light days mixed with some carb heavy/fat light days? When I LHT, I aim to do more carbs (sweet potato, more fruit, etc) and scale back the fat (fewer nuts, etc) if I can. (Of course, I blew that to hell today because I'm running on five hours of broken sleep, but that's another story.) Try some carb cycling, see if that helps.

For that matter...are you eating constantly at a deficit? If so, you may want to bump up your calories for some meals to shake things up. If you're not eating at a deficit and you want to lose weight, you should consider scaling back some of the calories.

Quote Originally Posted by nopie View Post
    The scale and my clothes are showing basically no progress. Im really.getting discouraged. This is day 15!

And i did a w30 in July!
    Nopie, what are you eating? Can you post your meals for a day or two? Ditto activities?

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Jackie - Awesome break!!! Was that a front kick?

We did board breaking in my class on Saturday, and I did a two-board elbow strike. I broke both boards on the first try, and one of them had a knot in it that popped out when I hit it! One of the young boys in my class was telling me how cool that was and that he always keeps the knots that pop out of his boards. It was cute and funny (and I'm old enough to be his mother, he couldn't have been more than 10 or 11). On the flip side of that, I developed an angry purple bruise on my elbow (well not my elbow; my forearm right next to my elbow) from where I broke the board; I showed it to kyo sa nim this morning and he's like, "How'd that happen??" and I said it was from the board breaking and he said that at least I know I hit the board with the right part of my arm!

Eating is going well; I have snuck a peek at the scale and tape measure and while the scale is not moving, the tape measure shows some inches lost, so I'll take it. Admittedly I've been snacking on homemade almond butter a bit too much and really need to cut that out. Was going to have meatballs from Ikea for supper the other night until I looked at the ingredient list - wheat and sugar are in the list, so much for that - so I made a small pot of chili with some coarse ground bison meat I had... weird eating chili without cheese and sour cream but it was still good. Baked chicken for work this week and cooked up a bunch of carrots and parsnips (yum!).

Grocery bills - I used to do all my shopping at the grocery store and it was easy to tell how much I was spending, but now that I shop at the farmers' market, the grocery store AND the warehouse store (bulk eggs FTW, until my neighbor's hens start laying more), it's harder to tell how much I'm spending. I'd say $200/week for a family of four, give or take. I don't buy near the amount of processed crap anymore, and I think that really helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I eat the same every day. I don't carb cycle. I get about 60 gm carbs a day through veggies and fruit/coconut milk. It doesn't help that after 3 months of W30, I'm getting bored with it and want to include foods that are not W30 compliant simply b/c they've been gone so long - white potatoes, dark chocolate, recipes. There are so many recipes I want to try but can't b/c they're "paleoized" versions of non-W30 compliant foods. I miss white potatoes. They broke the humdrum of dinner time where I eat a green veggie and sweet potatoes (probably 3x per week on the SP). And chocolate. It'd be nice to add some chocolate back in but can't b/c everything has sugar or a sugar substitute of some form in it. And it would have been nice to enjoy some ice cream with my family at the company picnic the other day.

My pride is kicking my ass right now. I'm too proud to quit, which I suppose is a good thing... but I'm so annoyed by the lack of progress.

I'll LHT 2x per week and do 20 min HIIT 3x per week and see what happens from there. Maybe I'll even avoid the scale til Friday.

Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast