Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 41

nopie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    I try to budget about $100/week for food. That's for one person. Since I buy my meat in huge bulk I can't really nail down a more precise amount of what I actually spend (i.e. my $90 trip to the butcher recently should last a long while). If I had to guess I'd say $150/wk is about what I actually spend (not counting the occasional out to eat).

I definitely need to pay more attention to it and stop buying nuts and other paleo foods simply because I want to try a recipe or something (think I spent $30-40 on stuff just to try out two recipes, one of which was a bust). I need to just stick with my tried and true stuff.
    I spend 250 a week on average for a.family of 7. Things that help.. going to the abbatoir for meat. Costco for shrimp and frozen veggies. Coxonut oil in bulk. Farmers market for produce and buying in season. Next year I will try to grow more of my own.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Alright, I cheated a bit today, there was sour cream in the guacamole I got at our favorite Taqueria plate. I got grilled veggies instead of rice or beans. I don't know how the carnitas was prepared. It was delicious, anyway!

Off to the doctor to see if I can get something for this current yeast infection. Here's hoping she'll give me what I'm looking for so I can keep doing my thing (keeping it low carb) to heal my gut.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

zinnia is offline Member
    I easily spend over $100 per week for just myself, although that usually includes some eating out. I have extremely limited fridge and freezer space, so I can't take advantage of buying in bulk, even if I had the foresight to do so!

My boyfriend is not paleo, but we spend $300-400 on average every month. More like $200-300 the past couple of months, however. Carbs are pretty cheap, but I can't eat them right now, so the bill will probably go back up a bit. Plus, he's starting soccer again so he'll need to eat more than just ramen (thank GOODNESS). We buy our meat in bulk at BJ's Wholesale and freeze it in our tiny freezer. When it's fully stocked, we have at least 15 lbs in there. If I bought grass-fed beef, pastured pork and free-range chicken, the bill would probably double! We can barely afford where it is now.

At least eggs are cheap!

What are your favorite carb craving busters? I think I'm especially craving them because my period is due any time now, but I can't have any for the next couple of weeks at least. I had some water with powdered L-Glutamine, but it isn't really doing anything. I am not really hungry, so I'm drinking a lot of water, but I still feel like eating. Man, I could KILL for some chocolate right now.

Primegal is offline Member
    Found a VERY helpful site tonight, just in the nick of time. Was feeling so bored with my usual recipes- now I am totally inspired!

The Foodee Project

This site collates paleo recipes from all the main blogs, & better still whole 30 approved recipes. It's all in one place..lots of great ideas and inspiration. The site also has meal & shopping plan functionality, lots of great advice (the blogger is on a whole 30 too).

I cooked this, as had been craving something creamy (& it is very cold winters evening here). Loved this new flavour combination! I substituted coconut milk for the cream, ghee for the butter, added a few cloves of crushed garlic with the mushrooms & added leftover shredded rotisserie chicken at the end… so delicious & lots of leftovers. This flavor combination is definitely a keeper, & I will be using it as a basis for stews in the pressure cooker too.

Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Soup – The Foodee Project

Primegal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Guys!!! Here's my break!
    HUGE Congrats Jackie!!! Very inspiring!!

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome looking recipes Primegal

Had a small cheat last night, I was grilling for the football game and had a friend over. Well he thought he was being really nice by bringing some sweet potato chips. They actually were tasty, but were fried in veg oil. But I figured it was thoughtful for them to do that so I partook. No biggie. The worse foul was simply eating too much! I ran up the calorie count yesterday with some local made pork rinds and too much of the grilled food. Oh well, back at it today
    -Chuck

zinnia is offline Member
    Thanks for the fantastic link, primegal! I too have been bored with my standard recipes, but I find the paleo blogosphere a bit overwhelming/intimidating. I think this will really help me plan interesting but simple recipes, which is what I'm aiming for!

namelesswonder, I wish I had a secret trick for kicking carb cravings to the curb, but I've found you just have to power through for a week or two and then the cravings go away, or at least get far more manageable. My test for determining whether I'm actually hungry or whether it's just carb cravings is, "Do I want to eat a hard-boiled egg?" For me, carb cravings are also in large part a tactile desire, so I'll go for a substitute that satisfies whatever texture I'm looking for. For example, I've been drinking a lot of sparkling water with crushed ice, since my brain still processes "fizzy" and "crunchy" as "treat!" Just don't tell my dad I've been chewing on ice

impala454, those sweet potato chips sounds great. I've got a couple of sweet potatoes in my pantry, but I've discovered I don't like them just baked. I might try to make chips with them later this week using coconut oil or clarified butter.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
    namelesswonder, I wish I had a secret trick for kicking carb cravings to the curb, but I've found you just have to power through for a week or two and then the cravings go away, or at least get far more manageable. My test for determining whether I'm actually hungry or whether it's just carb cravings is, "Do I want to eat a hard-boiled egg?" For me, carb cravings are also in large part a tactile desire, so I'll go for a substitute that satisfies whatever texture I'm looking for. For example, I've been drinking a lot of sparkling water with crushed ice, since my brain still processes "fizzy" and "crunchy" as "treat!" Just don't tell my dad I've been chewing on ice .
    That was how I determined I was really not hungry last night. I had some chicken drumsticks and thought about making an actual dinner (burgers), but didn't want to so I never got around to it. I'm not feeling quite so carb-crazy today, but still kind of. I'm dreaming of a grain-free "oatmeal" in coconut milk (never had any, but the crunch and sweetness would be awesome, I used to love sweetened granola). I could really got for a Kombucha, but I don't want to waste money! My period arrived overnight so I'm sure that had plenty to do with it. I need some less boring veggies around here.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Zinnia if you were curious here's the sweet potato chips in question (cooked in "bad" oil, but other than that seem pretty wholesome)
    Crinkles Sweet Potato Sea Salt
    -Chuck

Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast