Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 35

islandwahine is offline Member
    I made the Slow-Cooked Coconut Ginger Pork for dinner and OMG is was amazing!!! I did tweak it a little as some of the reviewers said it was a little bland. This is how I made mine.

I used 4lbs of Pork shoulder
    1 1/2 tsp of coriander
    1 1/2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper..not a fan of black pepper
    7 or 8 cloves of garlic..I just cut them in half
    3-4 inches of ginger
    1 whole onion I cut up into smaller pieces
    3/4 of the can of Coconut milk

Did everything else the same. I decided to use the left over coconut milk as a garnish over the cooked pork at it was perfect. Steamed up a sweet potato and dinner was served. I think I might add the sweet potato into the slow cooker next time as I really enjoyed the flavors. Can't hardly wait for tomorrow so I can eat it again.

Did my 2 mile walk and 12 mins of sprints today and I'm feeling awesome!!!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Is coriander a rare spice or something? Could not find it at my local Stop & Shop.

Yesterday was 100% compliant. We're moving towards 1/2 way through this challenge, feeling really good about it! I've had some passing thoughts about weighing myself at work (there's a scale in the supply closet), just out of curiosity, but I've resisted. Since I want to gain weight in muscle, I know looking at the scale won't make me feel any better. I wonder how long, at my current rate of exercise, it would take me to gain 5 lbs of muscle?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

dragonjax is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by islandwahine View Post
    I made the Slow-Cooked Coconut Ginger Pork for dinner and OMG is was amazing!!! I did tweak it a little as some of the reviewers said it was a little bland. This is how I made mine.

I used 4lbs of Pork shoulder
    1 1/2 tsp of coriander
    1 1/2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper..not a fan of black pepper
    7 or 8 cloves of garlic..I just cut them in half
    3-4 inches of ginger
    1 whole onion I cut up into smaller pieces
    3/4 of the can of Coconut milk

Did everything else the same. I decided to use the left over coconut milk as a garnish over the cooked pork at it was perfect. Steamed up a sweet potato and dinner was served. I think I might add the sweet potato into the slow cooker next time as I really enjoyed the flavors. Can't hardly wait for tomorrow so I can eat it again.

Did my 2 mile walk and 12 mins of sprints today and I'm feeling awesome!!!
    Thanks for the tweaked recipe! I'm making this tomorrow. Already have the pork and the ginger root. Ta!

And 12 minutes of sprints? You're amazing.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Wow that recipe does look awesome. Even with the 25 lbs of beef I just bought I may have to go get some pork now just to try that!

Nameless don't weigh if you don't have to! As I said before that's the one part I'm "cheating" on. I have taken my weight data for like seven years and am a huge nerd when it comes to tracking data. If this helps you any, here's how mine has gone so far (each day since August 1st): 245.6, 243.3, 240.3, 239.5, 237.5, 236.6, 236.8, 236.6, 236.4. So as we all know, you drop some water weight when you start, and that's exactly what this has been I'm sure (my pants fit hasn't changed much). Now roughly three more weeks of seeing the effects of the Whole30 after the water loss. My workouts have been a bit weak lately so I think I'll ramp them up a bit.
    -Chuck

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    For the record, b/c it seems there some confusion based on comments, I would not be getting the Paleo bread for myself (SWYPO would apply in this situation) but rather I'd be getting it for my 5 yo son who I am going to start transitioning into a more Paleo diet to control his moods and behavior. I have a very sweet, very smart, funny little man who can be an absolute angel, but he's being over shadowed probably 75% of the time by this rotten, nasty, misbehaving little devil who says some really mean things or talks back incessantly or just blatently disregards any show of authority. I've moved past the "Oh it's just a phase. He's 5. 5 yo boys are supposed to be defiant" denial and starting to look at his diet (previous to March, when I started primal, I believed it was just a phase and I just needed to find his "currency" so I could properly discipline him). Since finding Paleo/Primal and learning about hormones and how they affect the mind and behavior, I've decided to start changing his diet to be more in-line with mine and see how that affects his behavior. I know it'll improve it by miles, I just have to find a way to transition him without a ton of struggle or I'll give up. Paleo bread, I think, will help with that transition, even if it doesn't really taste like bread... or I'll find another gluten free bread source.

Initially, I plan to remove gluten and preservatives from his diet. Then I'll work on phasing sugar out.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Jenn, I'm totally supportive of your decision to put your son on a paleo diet and I think it's a wonderful idea. It would nice to see more parents tackling difficult behavior issues with diet first, then medications, instead of the other way around. BTW, I don't have children, and I'm no authority on motherhood in any way. But I applaud your dedication to your children's well being.

I'm just commenting on bread because it was brought up several times. This seems like the perfect time to sever any lingering nostalgia towards SAD foods. Paleo pizza no more!!!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I've had some passing thoughts about weighing myself at work (there's a scale in the supply closet), just out of curiosity, but I've resisted. Since I want to gain weight in muscle, I know looking at the scale won't make me feel any better. I wonder how long, at my current rate of exercise, it would take me to gain 5 lbs of muscle?
    DON'T!!! Back away from the scale, slooowy...
    I made that mistake a couple of days ago. So disappointing, it's better to just power through your 30 days, then face some possible disappointment on the scale. At least you'd have other improvements to fall back on if you don't lose any weight. Measurements may be more revealing. And they would reflect muscle mass gained. It takes some people months, if not an entire year to gain 5 pounds of muscle. Some of us do it in a matter of weeks. I gained 4 pounds of muscle in 5 weeks of CF. The 3-5 lbs are fluff.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I want to gain (muscle) weight, so weight loss would be a bad thing to me! At 120 lbs and 5'6", I don't think I really need to lose anymore body fat to be at the physique I want. I don't think I'm working out enough to gain much muscle, but right now, I am just working on building routines. I am notoriously bad at sticking with an exercise program.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

zinnia is offline Member
    Woohoo, over 1/4 of the way through! I don't feel like I've lost any weight, but that could be due to all the nuts and fruit I'm eating - what can I say, it's cherry season. I will definitely portion out the nuts into individual bags and try to cut back on the fruit. I was also eating pretty primal before, so I expect I'm not going to see the dramatic changes of someone coming from SAD. The biggest difference for me is no dairy. I didn't eat a ton of it (heavy cream in my coffee and cheese a few times a week), but my body does not handle dairy well and I was definitely in denial about that. Actually, my self-discovery of mild (ok, moderate) lactose intolerance was part of what started me down this whole low-carb>>primal rabbit hole last year, so I guess I should be thankful for that!!

dragonjax is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm a bad girl. I weighed in. (I do it every day.) Broke the plateau; officially 5.1 pounds down since I started on July 30. Most of that is water weight, but the most recent .9 pounds? Not so much! Inches are slowly melting too. Yay!

Had a second portion of Gold-Plated Bacon today, only three strips this time, and I poured off some of the excess grease into a jar. Happy to say there's no queasiness today. I think I just overdid it yesterday; these strips are thicker than what I'm used to.

Wish me luck - tonight is my TKD test for advanced brown belt! I'll be doing a running jump off a chair to do a high kick to break a board. I am **such** a bad ass! (I hope I don't die.)

Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast