Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 27

islandwahine is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The numbers on the scale are just that: numbers. They're utterly meaningless. They don't define you.
    Thanks so much Jackie!! I needed this reminder!!

And yes, coconut milk is absolutely OK
    I'm so glad!! Slow-cooked coconut ginger pork will be on the menu later this week!!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primegal View Post
    Day 6 today and I've got to say coming at a Whole30 after 6 months of 70/30 primal is working so much better for me this time around. Cravings are much milder, and I know what they are and what to do about them, that they will pass and that each time one passes, the next one will be milder and they will occur less and less frequently. Also walking and napping when I feel hungry/ craving/ crashing (when I have eaten enough) is also really helping my energy levels and keeping me balanced.

I weighed myself last night (at the end of day 5) and had lost 4.4lb! When I started was also suffering with really sore back muscles and this has completely gone away..

The other good thing about giving up smoking on a whole30 is I don't even think about it.. as I'm preoccupied with healthy food, cooking, shopping, menus, choices etc.

Anybody else seeing some positive changes yet?
    Phenomenal stuff!!! **waves pom poms**

I've been maintaining the 4.2 pound weight loss for three days, but I've magically shed almost another .25 inch from my hips. Huzzah! And...sorry, about to get into the land of TMI...it's almost my TOM, so now's the time when I should be bloating like crazy and overeating. Today's the first day since I started Whole30 last Monday that I've actually snacked With Purpose. I was hoongry, so I ate. First, a handful of raw macadamias, then a large apple. AND IT WAS GOOD. Nom! Today's a high-carb day anyway, and man, I am delivering: 1 cup blueberries after my breakfast (3 eggs, 1 chicken sausage, bell pepper, onion, garlic scrambled in coconut oil); 1 medium sweet potato with my lunch (6 oz salmon); 1 med apple w/ 2 T almond butter); the large apple; now with dinner (2 4-oz grass-fed burgers) I had a BAS. Might be extra hungry because today was a CrossFit day -- heavy lifting! Well, heavy-ish. We did snatches today. Worked my way up to 45 pounds. Might not be a lot, but it's a start!

Anyway, just want to say that I'm proud of everyone! Keep up the awesome work.

Quote Originally Posted by islandwahine View Post
    Thanks so much Jackie!! I needed this reminder!!
    **hugs**

Quote Originally Posted by islandwahine View Post
    I'm so glad!! Slow-cooked coconut ginger pork will be on the menu later this week!!
    Ditto! Let's compare notes on yumminess.

SAdams is offline Member
    Thanks Jackie for the kind words, I ended up giving myself a time out and am feeling much calmer now. Your W30 looks like it is going very well. 4.2 lbs is an awsome start seing as it has only been 6 days. I really want to join crossfit and have one close to my house but couldn't affort the $100 a month fee but now that I am saving atleast $150 a month not smoking maybe it can be in my near future.

Talked to my quit smoking coach about ways to relieve stress without smoking, going to start meditating. So now that I feel calmer it is alot easier for me to be excited about seeing DH in a few hours and not worrying over the house to much. It's not dirty just the kids like to leave their toys everywhere and well that's just what a 2 and 4 year old will do. Now Iam making diner, bacon and eggs because I am feeling lazy and the fresh bacon from the butcher sounded really good to me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SAdams View Post
    Thanks Jackie for the kind words, I ended up giving myself a time out and am feeling much calmer now.
    Good!

Your W30 looks like it is going very well. 4.2 lbs is an awsome start seing as it has only been 6 days.
    Actually, for me this is Day 8 because I started on July 30. But yeah, it's pretty awesome so far. My last attempt at Whole30, as some folks here know, didn't go nearly as well; I begged out around day 15 or so because of my extreme mood swings and utterly crushing TOM cramps. I've slowly worked myself to a place of readiness for this, since mid-June, so I'm glad that so far, things are going well. I think the exercise is helping immensely...especially the walking.

I really want to join crossfit and have one close to my house but couldn't affort the $100 a month fee but now that I am saving atleast $150 a month not smoking maybe it can be in my near future.
    I **love** that your cigarette stipend will wind up being used to fund your CrossFit membership! That's AWESOME.

Talked to my quit smoking coach about ways to relieve stress without smoking, going to start meditating. So now that I feel calmer it is alot easier for me to be excited about seeing DH in a few hours and not worrying over the house to much. It's not dirty just the kids like to leave their toys everywhere and well that's just what a 2 and 4 year old will do.
    I've heard that meditation really can do wonders. Good luck with that! And yes, that's exactly what kids do. (Mine are 9 and 11, and they STILL do it. Grrr.)

Now Iam making diner, bacon and eggs because I am feeling lazy and the fresh bacon from the butcher sounded really good to me right now.
    I love having breakfast for dinner. Nom!

zinnia is offline Member
    Evening, everyone. Thanks for the advice about where to find coconut products. I'll check out the asian and health food sections of my grocery store next time I'm in. Incidentally, one of the things I hate about primal, and now whole30, is how often I have to go grocery shopping. I'm still hoping I'll develop a love for shopping and cooking, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've been fighting a headache all day that wasn't ameliorated by caffeine, water, or advil, so I'm thinking it might be the dreaded carb flu. I've been in ketosis before, though, and I don't feel fuzzy headed or extra tired like I did last time. I'm feeling a bit better this evening so I hope whatever it was has passed.

By the way, major props to everyone who is doing this while also dealing with significant others or families. It is hard enough for me to stay on track, and I only have to worry about feeding myself!

Primegal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
    A couple times last month, I blended ripe banana, coconut milk (skimmed the thick stuff off top), and cocoa powder and froze it in molds. It was great, especially with the thick coconut milk. I used the thinner coconut milk at first and it wasn't as creamy. Another good one was blending frozen bananas and frozen kiwi together. My girls that it was awesome!

Wendy that sounds sooooo good I might have to go & make me some! Thanks for the great idea!!

Before this whole30 I was making a super rich & yummy choc mouse in the fridge (for special occasions). Works really well on its own (a few spoonfuls to curb a chocolate craving), or with berries, coconut yogurt etc.

Really Good Chocolate mousse : The Healthy Chef – Teresa Cutter

The other day I substituted the honey with a sliced up frozen banana, left out the vanilla, blended then set in the fridge as normal & the W30 compliant version worked out to be really delicious (& healthy).
    With some of the set mousse, I used two teaspoons to form little balls, which were then rolled in shredded coconut & frozen for a few hours. They worked well as a healthy kind of trufflely chocolate substitute.
    The best thing was that unlike most commercial store bought chocolates, they didn't send me off on a sugar binge (chocolate is a gateway drug for me normally). I felt satiated after 2 little balls (after dinner) & that was that

Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
    I've been fighting a headache all day that wasn't ameliorated by caffeine, water, or advil, so I'm thinking it might be the dreaded carb flu. I've been in ketosis before, though, and I don't feel fuzzy headed or extra tired like I did last time. I'm feeling a bit better this evening so I hope whatever it was has passed.

By the way, major props to everyone who is doing this while also dealing with significant others or families. It is hard enough for me to stay on track, and I only have to worry about feeding myself!
    Hi Zinnia & everyone,

Saw this in another thread and seemed relevant to post here.

Healing Reactions Versus Allergic Reactions

An exerpt: 'Many symptoms from the past can temporarily reappear during an herbal cleansing program - fatigue, joint pains, muscle aches, headaches, dizziness, weakness, itching, etc. This is nothing to be concerned about, but rather something to be glad about, since it is part of the way the body heals itself, called Retracing.'

'If we don't stop, but keep on going, we will eventually get to the end of it and be healed once and for all.'

I figure that all our bodies are busy cleansing during the Whole30, so hopefully the headaches & other symptoms are signs that you are on the right track & healing

Thanks Jackie for the kind words, I ended up giving myself a time out and am feeling much calmer now. Your W30 looks like it is going very well. 4.2 lbs is an awsome start seing as it has only been 6 days. I really want to join crossfit and have one close to my house but couldn't affort the $100 a month fee but now that I am saving atleast $150 a month not smoking maybe it can be in my near future.

Talked to my quit smoking coach about ways to relieve stress without smoking, going to start meditating. So now that I feel calmer it is alot easier for me to be excited about seeing DH in a few hours and not worrying over the house to much. It's not dirty just the kids like to leave their toys everywhere and well that's just what a 2 and 4 year old will do. Now Iam making diner, bacon and eggs because I am feeling lazy and the fresh bacon from the butcher sounded really good to me right now.
    You are doing SO SO well!! It will start getting easier. Just got to get through that first week. Are the patches helping?
    Most people smoke to 'calm/slow down'.. so sounds like you are all over this, working with support person to come up with new strategies like meditation. Must be so much harder with little kids & all the work I imagine they involve.. although they must provide a lot of inspiration & joy as well.

Congrats & well done on how well you are doing. That goes for everyone else here too! Thank you for making this such a supportive & helpful place. It's a lot easier having this community to share the experience with, than going it all alone.

Just in case anyone is looking for extra motivation today, and missed the many blog posts & articles out there:

Alzheimer's is really just 'type-3' diabetes, new research shows

This is another really good reason to slay my sugar dragon and keep away from a high carb, low fat diet!!!

Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast