Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 25

Primegal is offline Member
    Day 6 today and I've got to say coming at a Whole30 after 6 months of 70/30 primal is working so much better for me this time around. Cravings are much milder, and I know what they are and what to do about them, that they will pass and that each time one passes, the next one will be milder and they will occur less and less frequently. Also walking and napping when I feel hungry/ craving/ crashing (when I have eaten enough) is also really helping my energy levels and keeping me balanced.

I weighed myself last night (at the end of day 5) and had lost 4.4lb! When I started was also suffering with really sore back muscles and this has completely gone away..

The other good thing about giving up smoking on a whole30 is I don't even think about it.. as I'm preoccupied with healthy food, cooking, shopping, menus, choices etc.

Anybody else seeing some positive changes yet?

Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Walking is an awesome energy/mood booster for me too, highly recommended. Especially when it's sunny out.

I'd like to hear what you did for your sweet potato crisps, sounds good!

So far I've done my standard primal fare mostly, except trading out for clarified butter. I'm going to change up my chili recipe tomorrow and make it minus the beer I usually put in it. I think no beer/wine is the toughest part for me! I love to have a few beers or wine a couple times a week. Had Mexican food (parents anniversary, their choice) tonight and proud to say I sat there all evening with a bowl of chips and salsa in front of me and did not eat a single one . Had some really good chicken/shrimp fajita meat along with extra guacamole/grilled onions/pico de gallo, was perfect. They even had clarified butter for the shrimp!
    Hi there - I used the recipe at the link below for sweet potato crisps (baked in the oven). The only changes I made were to add other herbs and spice mixes which I had in the cupboard.. e.g. compliant pepper steak mix, morrocan mix etc and then a little extra salt when they were in the bowl at the end before serving (to taste).

Let me know if you try it and how it goes!

There are plenty of other oven baked vegetable crisp recipes if you have a search around google. I bought a mandolin/ slicer a whiel back which certainly saves time vs a peeler or knife.

Sweet potato crisps | Food-4Tots | Recipes for Toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Also I'm kind of cheating to make banana ice cream tonight (just made from frozen bananas that get blended up). Well, if I'm hungry in a bit, otherwise I"ll save it for tomorrow. I've been wanting to try this for ages.
    Agree with Jackie that frozen bananas blended to make icecream are not a cheat. I add pure cacao powder to mine to make it chocolate banana... and if you need any liquid because it is too dry, just add a splash of water. Yum - enjoy!!!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    It took forever for my bananas to freeze! In the future, I'll just freeze one banana, because two was too many with all the other food I'd eaten yesterday! It was pretty tasty though. I'm over bananas for now haha.

I feel like I ate a lot yesterday, but I feel better today in terms of dealing with cravings. Maybe I got past something, maybe my body needed it, I don't know. I had a really good protein-filled breakfast (lean hamburger patty and 3 eggs) and might skip lunch if I'm not hungry. Chicken breast does not sound appealing right now, but it's mostly all we have =\

Onward, into Day 6!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the recipe primegal! I'll be trying it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
    I clearly need to get in on all these fabulous coconut products that everyone's eating. Coconut cream? Frozen coconut chunks? Sounds heavenly. I have no idea where to get it - no Whole Foods around here!
    I can find the coconut milk at my "normal" grocery store, but it's usually hiding out in the asian/thai food section, try looking for it there.
    -Chuck

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    The coconut cream comes from a can of coconut milk. I let it sit for a long time in the pantry to separate the "cream" from the water and then scoop the cream out. 3/4 of the can is cream, the rest is water. Pitch the water unless you like coconut water...

Creamed coconut I get at a local health food store (we have HyVee grocery stores with a "healthy food market" in them). Once it's opened, you have to store it in the fridge, where it solidifies to a hard as rock consistency. I use a knife to bust off a hunk every once in a while.

None of it require refrigeration until opened, so you could probably find it on Amazon or elsewhere like that. Tropical traditions probably carries it as well, but I think they're expensive, so I haven't bought anything from them.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Starting my Whole30 today; the biggest things for me are avoiding dairy and white potatoes, and watching out for hidden added sugars. So far so good.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Day 4 here. I thought I'd be in ketosis by now, I have keto breath and am really thirsty. My ketostixs say otherwise. I'm not suffering any insomnia either, like I usually do when that happens. No complaints about that one! I'm not willing to drop the fruit, at least not yet.

I was daydreaming about choco-banana paleo ice cream this morning, then read everyone else's comments right after. We all must be on the same wavelength or sumthin'. It's gonna have to happen in the next couple of days, the Menstrual Goddess demands it. And I just don't see how it could be considered SWYPO, it's really just a thick smoothie. I'm throwing some avocado into mine, to temper the fructose hit of the banana. And I'm adding almonds. Mmm. Yeah.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    Starting my Whole30 today; the biggest things for me are avoiding dairy and white potatoes, and watching out for hidden added sugars. So far so good.
    Welcome aboard!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primegal View Post
    Agree with Jackie that frozen bananas blended to make icecream are not a cheat. I add pure cacao powder to mine to make it chocolate banana... and if you need any liquid because it is too dry, just add a splash of water. Yum - enjoy!!!
    A couple times last month, I blended ripe banana, coconut milk (skimmed the thick stuff off top), and cocoa powder and froze it in molds. It was great, especially with the thick coconut milk. I used the thinner coconut milk at first and it wasn't as creamy. Another good one was blending frozen bananas and frozen kiwi together. My girls that it was awesome!

Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast