Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 22

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Nopie thanks for the recipe! I'm trying that in the morning . Good job participating in social stuff and staying on the plan!

Zinnia my "coping" mechanism for those situations is to confront them head on with no reservations. I make it a point to decide that I can go to just about any restaurant or social gathering and survive foodwise. If it's a party, you seldom have to eat and can always arrange to eat before or after if you must. And nights out drinking while W30ing are the perfect time to offer up to be a designated driver.

As far as eating out, you just have to get creative with the menus. It's true that not much at face value on a menu is whole30 compatible but if you ask for just a few changes you can get by just fine, and sometimes even make a permanent change. One of my good friends has a daughter with celiac disease, and she cannot have even the tiniest morsel of wheat, dairy, or soy, or she gets really sick. But we manage to eat at just about any restaurant through asking for specific changes in certain meals. It's really not that bad. Steak/fish/chicken/fajitas/seafood/etc can almost all be had easily, and pretty much every restaurant out there will substitute grilled veggies in place of whatever rice/beans/potatoes/etc they have on the menu. All you have to do is ask. I get weird looks, sure, but I still go out with friends and enjoy their company without feeling bad about food. The mexican food places always eye me funny when I order "Beef fajitas, no beans, no rice, no tortillas, extra guac"

Oh and one more fun one, I have been known to go to the pizza buffet (during my normal primal of course, not Whole30), and get a nice big salad, and have several slices of pizza and scrape and only eat the toppings!
    Last edited by impala454; 08-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    -Chuck

Welcome aboard Inksplat!
    -Chuck

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    [Cross-posted to the Primal Challenge thread]

Sigh. Best-laid plans...

OK, so I was going to my friend's house for dinner. I knew she was going to be grilling -- skinless chicken breasts and corn on the cob -- so the other day I asked her if she would mind if one of the pieces of chicken had no marinade, and she was fine with that. She asked if I could bring a side dish. I brought pan-fried asparagus (fresh asparagus, ghee, coconut oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic) and a big-ass salad (without dressing). I drank only water. She asked if I'd like to prep my own piece of chicken, so I rubbed in some olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. She seasoned the other pieces, told her husband that mine was the small one (just worked out that way), and then he took the plate outside to start grilling.

One tiny problem: she didn't tell him that mine shouldn't get any barbeque sauce. Oops.

So I did the best I could to scrape off the top layer, and I made sure to have a big bowl of salad first, and lots of the asparagus, but I know I wound up eating chicken with the sauce. Oh well; I tried. A for effort; B for the actual grade.

I have just looked over my food journal for the week (I started Whole 30 on Monday). And I realized that I'm not eating enough food.

I'm fairly active - I've started walking every day (2.5 - 5 miles), plus I do CrossFit on M, W and F, and tae kwon do on T, Th, and Sat. I'd like to lose some weight (actually, I don't care about that number; what I want to lose is inches), so I've been logging my food and exercise on the LoseIt app. I have it set for a goal of a .5 pound loss per week -- the app comes up with a rough guideline of my target calories for the day. For my gender, height and weight, it suggests that my daily goal be 1,350 calories.

Based on my logs, I've been anywhere from 250 - 800+ calories **under** budget this week (after considering exercise). I'm sort of stunned. I'm eating -- it feels like I'm eating lots. But apparently, I'm not eating enough.

I feel good. Actually, I feel great. When I get hungry, I eat. I have no problems with snacking if I'm hungry -- a handful of raw macadamias on a higher fat day; an apple or cup of blueberries or cherries on a higher carb day. I've been making sure to include fats, usually coconut oil or ghee. I eat.

So how do I know if I'm not eating enough? Are there warning signs that I should be mindful of?

(For the life of me, I never thought I'd ever post a question like this!)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    If you're not eating enough, you'll be hungry. Or you'll feel weak and tired during your workouts. If you feel great, I wouldn't change a thing, honestly. Those calorie counter things don't consider the satiety that comes from the foods you eat by being Paleo/Primal/W30. I'd listen to your body and do what it tells you to do.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    If you're not eating enough, you'll be hungry. Or you'll feel weak and tired during your workouts. If you feel great, I wouldn't change a thing, honestly. Those calorie counter things don't consider the satiety that comes from the foods you eat by being Paleo/Primal/W30. I'd listen to your body and do what it tells you to do.
    Thanks, Jenn. That makes perfect sense.

Minky is offline Member
    Sounds like everyone is doing great. I am starting Day 4 and feeling great. I even put the scale away to comply with the no weighing, and that's probably the hardest part - it's usually the first thing I do every morning after I pee! And I wish I had it as a gauge as to whether I'm eating too much. But after a week, I'll just have to try on some clothes that will give me a clue on whether I'm on track or not. If I don't feel like I'm making any headway, then I might need to cut out some of the fruit and nuts.

The best thing that's happened since starting the Whole30 is that my DH has decided to finally embrace Primal!! I've been primal for a couple of years, and he reads the articles on the website sometimes and watches food documentaries with interest, but never fully committed. Yesterday he was reading some of the success stories, and he came up to me and said "I want a primal family, I'm ready!" He's excited about it. It's been so hard to nudge the kids (8year old twins) toward primal when DH has bread and pasta in the house. I hope it *sticks*!

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    The best thing that's happened since starting the Whole30 is that my DH has decided to finally embrace Primal!! I've been primal for a couple of years, and he reads the articles on the website sometimes and watches food documentaries with interest, but never fully committed. Yesterday he was reading some of the success stories, and he came up to me and said "I want a primal family, I'm ready!" He's excited about it. It's been so hard to nudge the kids (8year old twins) toward primal when DH has bread and pasta in the house. I hope it *sticks*!
    That is OUTSTANDING!!! Congratulations!

Awesome Minky! That'll be great to have the whole family on board.

I am completely non-compliant about the scale part of the whole30. That part I just accept as a fail. I have weighed myself almost every day for about 5-6 years and am a total data nerd. I like doing it to keep the data. It doesn't affect me in the sense that the Whole30 suggests (where I'd get upset and quit if it didn't move) so I'm not worried about it.
    -Chuck

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Jenn.
    How are you calculating your calorie expenditure at Crossfit? Is there a calculator online?

I'm feeling good and sleeping well, thanks to cutting out the nightly wine. I'm not weighing until the last day, but I'm feeling a little "thicker." Hmm. I'll give it till the end of this week, then may have to cut way down on fruit. Can't blame it on nuts.

I'm breaking out a little bit, is anyone else experiencing this? Granted, it's my TOM and I live in an environmentally-assaultive area of the country. It's just a little for than I'm used to.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast