Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 21

SAdams is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    And I forgot to mention that my son who only wants to drink only milk all the time has gone one whole day without it and hasn't realy thrown fits over it, we got coconut milk instead and I told him why milk wasn't healthy. Yay for him.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, startin em young!

I feel like I'm killin this whole30 so far! Just had 2.5 lbs of snow crab with clarified butter and roasted brussels sprouts, and even a sweet potato, 1026 cal 32 fat 113 protein 56 carbs. I gotta go find some more fat... might go back to the coconut milk as a tasty treat. I saw this pinterest deal where you put the can of coconut milk in the fridge, then it will separate, and you can skim off the "cream" and whip it into a whip cream like stuff... it's SO good.
    -Chuck

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Today, I realized that with my added activity (biking a couple times a week, lots of random bodyweight exercises and some strength training with the kettlebell)... I need to eat more! This fruit will not go to waste I foraged a bit at my parents house (had an apple after dinner because I ate all the sweet potato fries and was still hungry, finally felt full after that), but made it work. The sweet potato fries were made from a frozen batch, I'm forgiving myself for breaking my no-potato rule and moving on.

I foresee more hunger pangs tonight. Hoping I can just hydrate through it and re-asses tomorrow.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primegal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Today, I realized that with my added activity (biking a couple times a week, lots of random bodyweight exercises and some strength training with the kettlebell)... I need to eat more! This fruit will not go to waste I foraged a bit at my parents house (had an apple after dinner because I ate all the sweet potato fries and was still hungry, finally felt full after that), but made it work. The sweet potato fries were made from a frozen batch, I'm forgiving myself for breaking my no-potato rule and moving on.

I foresee more hunger pangs tonight. Hoping I can just hydrate through it and re-asses tomorrow.
    Hi there- my whole30 success guide says sweet potatoes & yams are approved foods whilst on whole30... They just say no to white potatoes.

Primegal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Awesome, startin em young!

I feel like I'm killin this whole30 so far! Just had 2.5 lbs of snow crab with clarified butter and roasted brussels sprouts, and even a sweet potato, 1026 cal 32 fat 113 protein 56 carbs. I gotta go find some more fat... might go back to the coconut milk as a tasty treat. I saw this pinterest deal where you put the can of coconut milk in the fridge, then it will separate, and you can skim off the "cream" and whip it into a whip cream like stuff... it's SO good.
    YUM!! So glad to hear you're firing along... & very much liking the sound of your food! Will be sure to post the oven baked sweet potato crisps recipe later too.... just got to get lots of approved food ready for a family picnic in the sun today. First social event of this whole30... My mantra: 'just say no to Mum's chocolate cake'

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Needed a few hundred more calories on the day and kinda wanted a "desserty" type thing so whipped this up in the mini blender:
    about 1C coconut milk, 1/2 square of unsweet chocolate, a few strawberries and a few ice cubes. Turned out really tasty!! Can't wait to redo it after the whole30 with a little wildflower honey. Btw unsweet cocoa powder probably would have worked way better than chopping up a square :P

btw: 502 calories, 49 fat, 5 protein, 16 carbs
    -Chuck

nopie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Whoa sweet potato hash browns?!? Post that recipe please!
    It's in paleo comfort foods, so I wont copy word for word but here is the gist

some cooked sausage (I used ground pork/lamb instead)
    2 sweet potatoes grated
    1 onion
    2 tbs of coconut oil

put coconut oil in frying pan, cook onion until translucent, add sweet potato (grated), cook until it's soft and starting to brown, add sausage (or ground meat chunks) cook for a bit longer until the potato is browning and maybe getting a bit crispy... add 2 teaspoons cumin, a pinch of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. I topped with a fried egg. It was magical!

My SO loves sweet potatoes and I think he liked it too.

Also... in other news I went for another nice bike ride today, feels great to get active.

I made a big ass salad for dinner... then went to the local rib-fest and watched people eat delicious looking ribs from around North America *sigh* I wasn't as tempted as I was bored. Who goes with friends to rib-fest when they are w30ing? SO much fun watching people eat and drink- NOT!

zinnia is offline Member
    I undertook the butter clarifying experiment this afternoon. I think I pulled it from the heat too soon so I'm not sure I actually got out all the milk solids, alas. For dinner, I didn't have any organic or grass-fed beef, so I just used conventional beef for a meat scramble. And wow, I could really tell how inferior it was! I don't think I ever really appreciated the flavor of meat before I started trying to be more mindful of my sources. Now, it's hard to go back.

I've also realized just how much of my social life is structured around food and alcohol. I turned down dinner out with some friends tonight in part because I knew there would be nothing remotely Whole30 on the menu and it would be hard to say no to some delicious, local microbrew. I'm definitely going to need to develop some coping strategies for this month and would be glad to hear everyone else's!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Nopie, that recipe looks amazing! Thank you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SAdams View Post
    now I have to finish my lunch then clean like a crazy lady because my husband is coming home from work on Monday and he gets iritated if the house isn't to his standards. Yay for cleaning day.
    Schuyler
    My DH isn't allowed to comment on my house cleaning ability/inability anymore. I told him that if the way I clean didn't meet his standards, I would gladly step down and he could do it himself. End of discussion.

All this talk about coconut milk and fresh coconut cream is making me want to crack open my can... I ate a couple big chunks of creamed coconut earlier today. It seemed to cure whatever I was craving b/c the pseudo-hypoglycemia I was feeling went away shortly after eating it. Musta needed some fats... Now it's 9 pm and I'm still not hungry for dinner.

Speaking of dinner, the lobster and shrimp dish at OG was good, but very spicy. Not sure what kind of lobster they used, but there were lobster claws in it that were edible! I didn't know you could eat a lobster claw! Needed lots of salad to put out the fire, but it was good. No meat was left after the meal.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Inksplat is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    So, I ended my test run of Whole30 (going to be running a Whole42 starting Monday, for the newest NF challenge) for the sake of my wife's baby shower and connected goings ons with some family in town.

But man, Primal is already starting to ruin me for my off days. :P

I was okay eating a few mini pastries from my all-time favorite bakery. Even a few mike & ikes (one of my fav candies). But when I went to grab a coke, I just sort of stared at the nutrition thing, at the 39g of carbs all in liquid form that I knew I would down in just a couple of minutes.. and ended up putting it back.

Still, really looking forward to going the 6 weeks. Those moments of "oh, I'll just keep shoveling things into my mouth because they're in front of me" was definitely coming back, and I am just not a fan of that. I like being in control.

That was a nice realization, at least. And I think when my 6 weeks ends, I'll be a lot less likely to veer too far off the healthy path, and mostly stick to standard Primal for my indulgences, because, really, its not much of an indulgence if I don't seem to have a choice. That's just an addiction.

Kind of sad to realize you're pretty much just a socially acceptable alcoholic, though.
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast