Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 16

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I figured as much... but, at the same time, Mark says to go with what you can find and what you can afford... The stuff they recommend from Wellness Meats is $11 a pound!! I can't buy 4 lbs of bacon at that price each week. Somethings got to give somewhere and I really don't think you'll see my husband as a happy camper without bacon. I'm going to go with the 0 grams in the ingredients list is good enough. Some things are just too hard to do financially. I can barely justify the $3.99 a pound I pay for the Farmland uncured bacon, or the $4.99 I spend on the Hormel version. If budget was not an issue, I would certainly do it perfectly... but, alas, I don't make 6 figures a year, so it won't work like that for our family.

Sticking with 0 grams and calling it good.
    I agree! I use the nitrate free hormel bacon and call it good enough for my family of 5 to eat. I try to stay as close as possible but I could go crazy trying to be perfect and give up whole 30 as too expensive and hard to maintain to feed my family of 5. Maybe I am only doing almost whole 30 but still better than the diet I was eating before hand.

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    The important part is if you do slip to not let it change your mindset completely. If you let one slip turn into 2-3 slips, then let a whole day slip, then that turns into a few days, and before you know it you're fighting just to have one good day. It sounds like you're doing great! (especially given the circumstances!) Forget the slip and keep it going!
    You are right! It's easy to say, "Hey, I am already off whole30 I will just have this food and restart again later" I am going to just take one meal at a time for this weekend for all the funeral and family meals and just do my best and not beat myself up too bad if I can't eat on whole 30, it might have to be more primal like cheese, barbeque with sugar barbeque sauce etc as I know things like that will be available.

Just not feasible to pack lunches to these events as I am a close family member to the deceased and I will have enough to have to do. I will start again on Monday with day 1 and see if I can do my whole 30 then. I will continue to follow along as I have time for the next few days to stay motivated.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Primegal, Jackie was spot on, you're having carb flu. It happens to everyone and will pass. When it does pass you'll feel like a million bucks, I promise!
    -Chuck

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAdams View Post
    It doesn't help when I have a husband who would rather eat ramen noodles than ribs though so I will have to start depending more on myself to get myself through this and less on other peoples desires. I do NOT eat ramen noodles by the way.
    What the hell is wrong with your husband???? lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I'm on Day5 today. Woke up HUNGRY! Makes me think my leptin is finally starting to reset itself. Promising. Now, to get my cortisol going sooner so that I want to get out of bed in the morning and so that I can wake up happy rather than like a bear each morning. I feel terrible for my kids b/c I get so frustrated and grumpy in the morning that I feel like I'm always baring my teeth and growling at them. Why is this? Please tell me that this will end soon. It's not fair to my kids and makes me want to get back on antidepressants to chill my mood.

I know the problem is mine and not them. They're kids. They're 2 and 5. They're supposed to drag their feet and try to play in the morning instead of shuffling to the car and climbing in like I ask. But *I* am not supposed to get so angry and frustrated about it.

I want to be one of those people who gets out of bed, showers, watches the news, then gets my kids up and ready for bed. Instead, my kids wake up before me, I plop them in front of the tv and go back to bed, snoozing the alarm for 20-30 minutes. This has GOT to stop. My kids deserve a relaxed and happy mom in the morning who will gladly run across the yard to retrieve them, scoop them up and carry them to the car laughing instead of snatching their arm, telling them they're being naughty and stuffing them in their seat. I don't like that person and I really hope she gets her shit together and moves out, leaving the happy, fun mom behind.

I hope this is just part of the kill all the things phase and will pass. This is the first W30 that I have legitimately cut out ALL forms of sugar, to include fruit, so surely this is the sugar dragon shining through right?

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Jen I can say that since I went primal and stuck with it fairly well, I have not used an alarm clock for the past six months. I wake up between 6:30-7:00 AM every day and get to bed around 10 every night, it's like clockwork.
    -Chuck

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Jenn, I'm sure you're going to feel better-ish pretty soon. Sounds like you're experiencing some nasty withdrawal symptoms.

I had my farewell to booze date last night, and I honestly would have had a great time with the gentleman, with or without that liquid courage.

So far, so good today. I'm working twelve hour shifts all weekend, so I pregrilled some nice grass fed burgers and two pork chops to eat at work. I also have 3 small sweet potatoes to eat up, and hopefully they can stave off the mid-afternoon/boredom munches I'm bound to encounter this weekend.
    Today it's been 3 scrambled eggs in the microwave poacher(uck) and half an avocado, some coffee with EVCO. Lunch will be a big fat pork chop and a sweet potato with ghee, and a peach for later if I need it. Dinner may be roasted kale and some tuna.

I spent a friggin' hour making ghee yesterday, does anyone know if it matters that the butter is grassfed? I just used Whole Foods store brand, didn't see a reason to sacrifice my precious Kerrygold.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and this is a delightful read on nomnompaleo:

Whole30: Day-By-Day! [UPDATED 1/31/12: Hey! I... | Nom Nom Paleo
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Minky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I'm on Day5 today. Woke up HUNGRY! Makes me think my leptin is finally starting to reset itself. Promising. Now, to get my cortisol going sooner so that I want to get out of bed in the morning and so that I can wake up happy rather than like a bear each morning. I feel terrible for my kids b/c I get so frustrated and grumpy in the morning that I feel like I'm always baring my teeth and growling at them. Why is this? Please tell me that this will end soon. It's not fair to my kids and makes me want to get back on antidepressants to chill my mood.

I know the problem is mine and not them. They're kids. They're 2 and 5. They're supposed to drag their feet and try to play in the morning instead of shuffling to the car and climbing in like I ask. But *I* am not supposed to get so angry and frustrated about it.

I want to be one of those people who gets out of bed, showers, watches the news, then gets my kids up and ready for bed. Instead, my kids wake up before me, I plop them in front of the tv and go back to bed, snoozing the alarm for 20-30 minutes. This has GOT to stop. My kids deserve a relaxed and happy mom in the morning who will gladly run across the yard to retrieve them, scoop them up and carry them to the car laughing instead of snatching their arm, telling them they're being naughty and stuffing them in their seat. I don't like that person and I really hope she gets her shit together and moves out, leaving the happy, fun mom behind.

I hope this is just part of the kill all the things phase and will pass. This is the first W30 that I have legitimately cut out ALL forms of sugar, to include fruit, so surely this is the sugar dragon shining through right?
    I know of this monster! Mine usually comes in the evening at bedtime. I just feel *done* being a mom. But then wish I had done a sweet, loving evening routine. I definately am a nicer mom when I'm exercising and eating right.

I am on Day 2 and waiting for my book to arrive. I really want to follow it exactly and I'm trying to figure out my morning routine. I usually get up early and do computer work for a couple of hours with black coffee. Then go for a 3 mile walk. Then eat a late breakfast or IF til lunch.

To get the benefits of the hormone reset (or whatever) Do I need to eat something before my walk and then again after? The thought of eggs during my early morning computer coffee time makes me gag - I just have no appetite that early.

If I had a few nuts in the early morning, then a good solid breakfast after my walk, would that be fully compliant?

Ok, going out for dinner tonight with DH to celebrate his 30th birthday. He chose Olive Garden and at first I was mortified b/c how would I pass up breadsticks and alfredo sauce?? Anyhow, I perused their menu online and have narrowed it down to 4 possible choices. Which would you pick??

Herb-Grilled Salmon
    Salmon filet brushed with Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil. Served with seasoned broccoli.
    $17.95

Steak Toscano
    Grilled 12 oz choice center cut Strip steak brushed with Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil. Served with Tuscan potatoes and bell peppers. (I would ask for the steamed broccoli with this instead of the potatoes)
    $19.95

The rest of the gluten free menu items have no prices on them, and they're not featured on the regular menu so I can't estimate cost before I go... *sigh*

Mixed Grill
    Skewers of grilled steak and chicken marinated in Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil. Served with broccoli and grilled vegetables.

Mixed Grill (all chicken)
    Skewered chicken marinated in Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil. Served with broccoli and grilled vegetables.

Voting begins..... now.

Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast