Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for August 2012 page 14

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Check it out: Whole30-approved bacon. Ingredients: pork and sea salt. I just ordered it. I'll let you know how it tastes.

By the way, I'm including minimally processed foods in my Whole30. I can't cook all the time! But I'm careful about checking the ingredients. The Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon and All Natural Beef Hot Dogs (sulfite-free) do not include MSG or carrageenan. Neither does the Billinski's organic chicken sausage. Hooray!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Yeah I'm not sure about bacon. I usually use Applegate Farm's. I have it once a week. It might be a good thing for me to stop having since it became kind of an emergency staple over the past couple of weeks. I think Boyfriend and I will survive without it for a least half the month. I'll reassess later.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I could be misinterpreting but I'm pretty sure when they say "Do not consume added sugar" they're talking about adding sugar/fake sugar to something that you actually consume. When the product is "cured with a water/salt/sugar" solution but then has none listed in the nutrition facts I would think it's ok. Just my interpretation.

Here's a post I found on the Whole9 forum regarding bacon & sugar. I have Kroger's nearby and might try and find the one someone suggested. If not, I'm not going to let it bother me that much.
    Having a hard time finding Bacon without sugar - Whole9
    -Chuck

Ok so I found the official word from the horses mouth, here:
    The Bacon Manifesto | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

I'll do what I can to find some! I only had four pieces so far
    -Chuck

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I figured as much... but, at the same time, Mark says to go with what you can find and what you can afford... The stuff they recommend from Wellness Meats is $11 a pound!! I can't buy 4 lbs of bacon at that price each week. Somethings got to give somewhere and I really don't think you'll see my husband as a happy camper without bacon. I'm going to go with the 0 grams in the ingredients list is good enough. Some things are just too hard to do financially. I can barely justify the $3.99 a pound I pay for the Farmland uncured bacon, or the $4.99 I spend on the Hormel version. If budget was not an issue, I would certainly do it perfectly... but, alas, I don't make 6 figures a year, so it won't work like that for our family.

Sticking with 0 grams and calling it good.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Good call Jen. I don't feel too bad about my "normal" bacon as it comes from a local mom & pop shop butcher, where I get all of my meat.
    -Chuck

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm still torn about whether or not the Farmland is factory farmed or sustainable farming farmed... but it's MSG free and that's kind of a big thing in my book. I'll have to read their website a bit closer and maybe send a couple of emails inquiring about the farming practices of the farms they buy from. Until I get those answers, I have 4 lbs of the Farmland brand in my fridge, plus that 1 lb of MSG stuff in my freezer. I experience GI issues with MSG and try to avoid it as much as possible.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    It's not a pass or fail, you know? We do what we can.

Separately, I'm finding that spicy mustard is quite tasty in tuna (with no mayo). Maybe I'm just weird.

SAdams is offline Member
    Thanks Chuck for posting the forum link, I am go going to make my own bacon next week. Already called the butcher and they are going to have pork belly next tuesday at 3.19 a lb which is much better than I can do at the grocery. I looked at the applegate at sprouts today and it was almost $6 a lb.
    On a different note I am quiting smoking with this whole30 and today is day 1 of that. It has been hard but I am using nicoret patches to help me through (have tried for the last month and have been unsuccesfull with cold turkey). The only problem I have had with the patches is that they itch like crazy when you first put it on for about an hour and I had the weirdest dreams last night, kinda like the dreams I had when I was pregnant.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Spicy mustard is awesome, you're not weird Jackie!

I am really hating this diet stuff....
    -Chuck

Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast