-Macadamia Oil (for dressing)
    -Olives
    -Olive Oils (for dressing)

Best Saturated Fats (SFA)
    -Animal fats (for cooking)
    -Clarified butter/ghee (for cooking)
    -Coconut oil (for cooking)
    -Coconut butter/ flakes/ milk

Occasional only: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
    -almonds/ almond butter
    -brazil nuts
    -cashews/ cashew butter
    -pecans
    -pistachio

Limit: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
    - flax seeds
    - sesame seeds/ sesame oil
    - pine nuts
    - sunflower seeds/ sunflower butter
    - walnuts / walnut butter

They say that cooking at high temperatures can damage oil. The best cooking oils are saturated - extremely stable and unlikely to form inflammatory oxidised fats. When using animals fats for cooking only use the highest quality grass fed or organic animals, especially with high heat.
    The guide states to 'avoid' all vegetable oils (other than above) as they are pro-inflammatory and unstable.

Hope this helps!

I'm on day 2 (in Australia) and feeling sooooooooooooooo much better already!

SAdams is offline Member
    Today is going great, except for some small cravings. Here is what I had today
    B: Black Iced Coffee
    2 Eggs
    3 Slices Of Bacon
    L: Salad with homegrown lettuce, homegrown bellpepper, cucumber, turkey breast and a little bit of braggberry dressing
    D:Grilled Chicken Legs
    Beets from my garden
    Sauteed beet greens with green beans and garlic. Used coconut oil instead of butter.

Spent about 2 hours gardening, mowing, picking weeds. Walked around the farmers market and am about to go for a walk with the kids around the neighborhood. Then after they go to bed I think I will do some kettlebell exercises.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveCanem View Post
    Yup. We can do it. Having buddies makes all the difference. What's. Your plan in case of pitfalls?
    Well, my aim is to be Whole30, and default to primal 80/20, if needed. For example, this Saturday, my friend is cooking dinner. I think she's going to grill chicken, and tomorrow I'll ask if she'd mind having one piece of chicken with no marinade, just spices. If it's a big deal, then I'll just have the chicken w/marinade and scrape off what I can. I'm also going to have a larger lunch so that I most likely won't be that hungry later in the day. And later this month we have parties and barbeques and I also have a business trip. I'll do the best I can, and not sweat it if my Whole30 slips to primal 80/20. (I'm not building in an excuse; I'm being realistic.)

Today is day three for me, and I have to say, so far, so good. Water weight is dropping. And I've kept up my exercise -- I've actually increased it a bit, bumping up my 2.5 miles of walking to 5 miles, and CF from two times a week to three.

What about you? Do you have a contingency plan?

Minky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primegal View Post
    According to my Whole30 Success Guide, the only fats/ oils allowed are:
    Best Monounsaturated fates (MUFAS):
    -Avodaco
    -Avocado Oil (for dressings)
    -Hazelnut/ Filberts
    -Macadamia Nuts
    -Macadamia Oil (for dressing)
    -Olives
    -Olive Oils (for dressing)

Best Saturated Fats (SFA)
    -Animal fats (for cooking)
    -Clarified butter/ghee (for cooking)
    -Coconut oil (for cooking)
    -Coconut butter/ flakes/ milk

Occasional only: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
    -almonds/ almond butter
    -brazil nuts
    -cashews/ cashew butter
    -pecans
    -pistachio

Limit: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
    - flax seeds
    - sesame seeds/ sesame oil
    - pine nuts
    - sunflower seeds/ sunflower butter
    - walnuts / walnut butter

They say that cooking at high temperatures can damage oil. The best cooking oils are saturated - extremely stable and unlikely to form inflammatory oxidised fats. When using animals fats for cooking only use the highest quality grass fed or organic animals, especially with high heat.
    The guide states to 'avoid' all vegetable oils (other than above) as they are pro-inflammatory and unstable.

Hope this helps!

I'm on day 2 (in Australia) and feeling sooooooooooooooo much better already!
    Thanks! Just got back from Trader Joe's and I'm stocked up and ready to start tomorrow. I will stay clear of anything with veg or canola oil.

What is your preferred oil for cooking a fried egg? When I've tried bacon grease, my egg sticks to the pan. Same with butter. We usually use the spray canola from TJ's and it flips perfect every time, but that's out too for the next 30 days.

Inksplat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Thanks! Just got back from Trader Joe's and I'm stocked up and ready to start tomorrow. I will stay clear of anything with veg or canola oil.

What is your preferred oil for cooking a fried egg? When I've tried bacon grease, my egg sticks to the pan. Same with butter. We usually use the spray canola from TJ's and it flips perfect every time, but that's out too for the next 30 days.
    What kind of pan do you have?
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    As far as Whole30 goes, vegetable oils are fine, I believe. Its more a Paleo/Primal thing to say they aren't cool.
    According to It Starts with Food, Canola oil is a big no-no.

On page 102 it has a table with oils to avoid. Number 1 is canola oil. Others include chia, corn, cottonseed, flax, grapeseed, hemp, palm kernel, peanut, rice bran, safflower, sesame, soybean, and sunflower. They all contain too much PUFA, oxidize easily, and cause inflammation.

Olive oil as dressing only. Heat it can cause oxidation. Coconut oil is the best to cook with.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I would melt some coconut oil and use a paper towel to coat your pan - much like your grandma or mom would have done a cake pan.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Minky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    What kind of pan do you have?
    I think it's steel. It's silver color and heavy. it's not nonstick, but the fried egg flips and slides right off with the canola spray. So I'll have to experiment with approved oils.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Coconut oil works well for eggs. I've had that same problem with bacon grease on my cast irons. You have to add a LOT to make it not stick, in my experience. Butter, however, I usually do not have that problem. Might be a temperature issue/when you add the butter and when you add the egg? I add my butter, let wait for it to stop bubbling, swirl it around the pan, then add my eggs.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

zinnia is offline Member
    Day 1 went well. I had my normal, boring breakfast and lunch, but cooked a nice steak with mushrooms and onions for dinner. I even have a sweet potato, which felt a bit weird to me coming from a low carb diet. I haven't done much for exercise lately except some walking over my lunch break. I think I'm going to start small with some pushups, situps and lunges and see how that goes.

Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast