Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie Olivers Food Revolution... page

UrbanEcoMama Guest

Just wondering if anybody watched the premier on Friday night? I know it's not really paleo related, but just wanted to hear your thoughts about our school systems' food regiments and what you think about a "revolution" like Jamie's? It's not like I did not know this before, but it is still shocking:

- the USDA's standards for school meals... fries count as a vegetable, etc

- the fact that most elementary school kids cannot recognize vegetables in their raw form... don't know what a tomato looks like?!?!?!

Ines

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

just want to add that as a home childcare provider, if i want to participate in the USDA's food program (meaning i'd get reimbursed for up to a certain amount of my grocery costs for the kids) I'd have to follow their standards too.

And in those standards it is written that cake and ice cream can count as a grain and dairy.

Ketchup is also a vegetable.

This is really fantastic stuff.

*sigh*

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Athena is offline Senior Member

Its really sad. Makes me sad that these kids dont even know their veggies in raw form. I believe Jamie Oliver is doing a fantastic thing and its giving attention to an issue that needed to be called out.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Yes, I watched the whole thing and I, too, was shocked that the first grade children couldn't recognize a single vegetable. After coaching from their teacher, they learned the names of the vegetables, but I doubt that they'd tried eating any of them.

I can't help but wonder why Jamie didn't stage the show in his own country, and apparently others feel the same, which may make his message more difficult to sell, but still, he's definitely moving in the right direction. He was surprised to learn that one of his meals that included brown rice didn't meet the regulations because he needed to have a second bread item. He commented that two bread items would make the kids fat.

Another thing that made me wonder was the size of the portions. I think the portions were much too large. As I watched the leftovers going into the garbage -- no food waste recycling? -- I saw so much food uneaten. Especially the youngest children were being given far too much food.

Acmebike is offline Member

I think he did a version of the show in the UK. They just brought it here this season (like many of our popular programs start in the UK). I like what he's getting at, and the basic gist of it. But I still yelled at the TV when he demonized "saturated fat" as evil, and later fed a pre-diabetic/obese teen a big plate of "healthy low fat" stirfry over a big plate of noodles.

Conflicted on this one. Certainly NOT Primal nutrition advice in his show, but better than SAD.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I think he did do something in England first - working with the government & the school system there. Here's a link to some of the stuff he's doing in the UK: http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamies-ministry-of-food/

maba is offline Senior Member

I saw both the episodes on Friday and was going to write about it here. I was plain disgusted to see the stuff they serve in schools. I mean, I knew the food they served wasn't the healthiest but I had no idea they served pizza for breakfast and made mashed potato from "potato pearls". The most heart-breaking scene was when Oliver shows the kids how chicken nuggets are made and the kids still want them, even though they know it's not good for them, only because they are hungry.

Agreed, the food he makes is not paleo, but at least it's not not processed quap and he tries to include lots of veggies. He comes across as a passionate person who truly believes in this cause.

@Sharonll: Jamie Oliver was instrumental in bringing about changes in school lunches in the UK, not sure if a TV show was made out of it though. And he's trying to bring about the smae kind of change in the US as well.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

http://fedupwithschoollunch.blogspot.com/ - a blog by a teacher who is eating school lunches every day.

definitely not nice looking.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Yes, I know about his past in the UK, and I understand why he's here in the U.S., I guess I was simply wishing that an American was doing the U.S. show. His nationality is an additional tool to be used against him by those who are opposed to his ideas, such as the local radio host in the show.

@Acmebike: I had the same reaction when I saw the saturated fat stunt that he pulled. Both because I doubt there was that much actual saturated fat in the food -- it's probably mostly vegetable oil -- and if there was that much saturated fat, it would be far preferable to all the unhealthy processed carbs they're eating. I guess Jamie focused on the carbs, too, with the dumpster full of chocolate milk, sloppy joes, etc.

PrimalChat is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm with AcmeBike - it's sad to see the non-Primal actions taken, but it's a heckuva lot better than how they were eating. Perhaps with a few steps taken now, it will be even easier to make additional steps in the future with these kids (our kids).

I'm curious to see how it continues, but particularly interested in the townspeople. If the was truly rated as one of the most obese in the U.S., you'd half expect them to be a bit embarrassed and open to some changes, even if they didn't like them. Yet still, they act like they know more than he does, despite his weight being a bit less than most.

Granted, he's not Paleo/Primal, but I respect Jamie for doing what he's doing.

Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast