Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the low-carb magic wear off? page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2009/09/why-weight-loss-stops-on-long-term-low.html

Again, interested in your thoughts and experiences. This article offers arguments and explanations saying that the effectiveness of low-carb eating tapers off after initial, dramatic success.

The focus is on fat loss and ketogenic diets; perhaps that is the difference between Mark's long-term success and what the article's author claims will be short-term results of VLC eating. On the other hand, some in this forum have been VLC for quite a long time, with good results.

How much of a selection bias do you think we see here? (Does PB appear highly effective because those for whom it doesn't work leave?)

Is there value in carb cycling / refeeding to deal with leptin resistence?

(By the way, thanks to Astrogirl for her post containing this and the One Golden Shot link. http://astrogirl.com/ )

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member

Seems that blog is saying that long term low carb + long term low calorie are the issue... not one or the other. If you eat a wide variety of foods this shouldn't be a problem.

~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Legerity is offline Junior Member

That's an interesting article. I like getting feedback from those who have been doing low-carb because it seems that a lot of people are starting off and having great results, which doesn't necessarily mean they will always last.

I don't know much about it, but what worries me at times is what is often mentioned about thyroid functioning. I don't really count carbs but I'm quite sure they tend to be under 50g. I've been thinking of trying to up them into the 100-150g to avoid any sort of long-term issues down the road like mentioned in the article. But then again I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion.

I'm curious what others think.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

That lady, Jenny, makes very superficial observations and experiments. Although I really appreciate her efforts, she is not doing things right.

Basically, when you starve yourself for a day or two, you definitely loose some weight, but that's on the expense of cannibalizing your muscles. On the other hand, a "one or so" drop is nothing that counts. That's most likely water variation and I wouldn't jump to ANY conclusion based just on that.

She is most likely NOT exercising at all, at least she has not mentioned that. Well, I'm sorry Jenny but your body needs to have some activity in order to keep your metabolism energized.

Somewhere she mentioned that if she increase the intake of carbs with few grams, she automatically gains few pounds and she explains that's the glycogen stored in muscle. I don't know what to do first... laugh or cry?

Somewhere else she talks about a state that's characterized by weakness and exhaustion. Well, my opinion is that she is describing a carb flu. Maybe she had a prolonged one, but on the other hand she claims that she was doing that "for years". Well, sorry but I don't buy that one.

Fat induced Insulin resistance? Pwleaseeee!!!

Etc etc etc...

Her article is something that I call "Pseudo science"...

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

@MichaelA, it is true that when someone who eats VLC eats an atypical (high) amount of carbs, s/he may see a startling increase in weight.

This is because a large amount of water hangs out with glycogen. The estimate I've read in several places is that for 1 part glycogen, you also accumulate 3-4 parts water.

So an addition of 100g carb in one day could add up to roughly 1 pound of added body weight. Repeated over a few days, yes, you could easily see the scale go up a few pounds as glycogen accumulates in the liver and muscles.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I just said this in another topic. If the aim is complete holistic health, nutrition, exercise, emotional, etc, the magic doesn't die. If everything is reduced to macronutrients and no mind is paid to the bigger picture, don't expect any magic.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Legerity is offline Junior Member

@Michael: The rest of her article aside, what are you thoughts on decreased thyroid functioning on long-term VLC diets?

Brewtality Guest

I wouldnt consider the Primal diet VLC. The recomended maintenance range is up at 150g. Most people going VLC are trying to lose or lean up. Once you are there, it ceases to be low carb, and becomes tons of nutrient dense food vs small amounts of higher calorie/carb low nutrient food.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

@pikaia, she said "few grams" not 100 grams. In my understanding few grams is a max of 10, right? 100 grams is A LOT

@legerity. It does not have to do with it. It would be great to be able to influence our T3 and T4 with that! Her presumption that on a low calorie diet the T3 and T4 secretion is reduced, is wrong or based on other pseudo-science she might had read somewhere.

I said this and I'm saying again. I really appreciate her efforts to stay healthy and informed! To bad she doesn't rely on facts, studies and biochemistry and goes on forums polls and other single case, "no idea of what" conditions someone posted on a blog.

I dont claim that everybody is lying about this, but those single case and person believes, might be true just for those cases. Conclusions could be valuable based only on facts and studies of several cases in controllable conditions done by ppl that really know what their are doing.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

My TSH went from 2.04 to 0.8 after I went low carb. I'm not sure what my T4 and T3 did during the same interval, as they weren't tested before I changed my diet. (And my possible hypothyroid symptoms long pre-date going low carb.)

Right now my T3 is well below the normal range, and my reverse T3 is high. Combined with my TSH, it is a pretty wacky picture.

I can't say for sure that diet caused the drop in TSH, but I can't say it didn't either. Do my normal (or even a bit low) TSH and very low T3 suggest euthyroid stress syndrome? Who knows. But I'm bumping my carbs up to get out of ketosis, and it'll be interesting to see if my T3 changes in response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast